CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Is no news really good news? (Whoever made up that phrase never adopted internationally)

We expect to hear our travel date literally any day now. We were told to expect to wait 2-3 weeks from the day we submitted our dossier. Today it has been 3 weeks and 1 day. I am surprised at how email-obsessed I have become. There are tons of things I could be and should be doing right now, and instead, I keep checking my emails for a travel date. Things I should be doing right now:

1. Learning russian and Ukrainian cultural sensitity issues
2. Researching feeding issues
3. Looking for high chair, car seat, and exersaucer
4. Researching what kind of equipment we will need for whatever special needs Ava may come with.
5. Knitting a wool hat for Ava to wear (first I need to learn how to knit)
6. Reading a book about attachment issues in adoption (I actually have the books but I thought I would save them for the VERY long flight to Ukraine)
7. Reading up on disability benefits and insurance
8. Learning how to use that baby-sling I bought
9. Reading about different heart surgeries and post operative care
10.Shopping for a suitcase with wheels (we still use the green 1970s suitcases)
11.Buying long underwear and scarves
12.Making a list of instructions for whoever will watch the kids
13.Finding someone to watch the kids while we are gone (that is an important one!)
14.Start making a packing list
15.Making and freezing some meals for whoever will be watching the kids while we are gone
16.Taking pictures and making a family album to take to the orphanage with us
16.Pulling weeds
17.Cleaning bathrooms
18.Starting on the pumpkin and pecan pies for Thursday
19.Charging my cell phone
20.Comparing airline prices

Things I should NOT be doing right now:
Reading adoption blogs
Checking my email every 30 seconds

3 comments:

Ava said...

Hi, Charissa!
Great to hear from you. When I get a minute, I'll catch up with your blog. I've been slack since I've been here. I haven't read anyone's blogs except the other family's that is here in Hungary adopting a little boy.
I'm glad you're enjoying my blog and I hope it isn't too depressing. Believe me, this place is VERY depressing! I'm trying to keep a good attitude and remind myself that I'm only here for a short time. And God has called us here to save this little boy!
God bless!
Martha

amyl4 said...

It is a LONG wait but I found that buying things for Caleb made the waiting less difficult. I can't wait for your travel date either! I remember the first time I saw little Ava's picture. I thought she was the most beautiful little girl with such pretty eyes! I so look forward to seeing new pictures with you holding her!!
Amy

Stephanie said...

I check my email every 30 seconds too... But i check it to find out if you have heard anything yet!!