CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Date night



This is Simeon's month for "date night". Each month both John and I take one of the kids out for a special night out, and we rotate. Tonight was Simeon's night. I love having lots of kids but I LOVE LOVE LOVE parent-child date nights! It is so special and fun to just have uninterrupted conversation with one child.



Simeon is a great kid. I am so proud of him. I learned a lot about him by accident recently when I read a book called "The Out of Sync Child". It was recommended to me by a physical therapist in order to prepare our family for any sensory disorder Ava may come with because of her disability, but also because of her confinement to an Eastern European orphanage with very little sensory stimulation from the outside world. While it was very informative, the real lesson I learned was about my son! He fit to a "T" every description of the "sensory seeker" child...always craving more and more stimulation. He loves hard back rubs, loud music, boa-constrictor hugs, always feels the need to take his shoes off and jump in the mud puddles instead of walking around them, enjoys hearing himself scream loud, enjoys spicy foods, touching EVERY surface he passes, whether it be at home or in the grocery store, and chews on his shirts (He really does).




He is indeed a "sensory seeker". I only wish I would have read this book earlier. I thought back to all the times I scolded him for grabbing everything in sight, pounding on tables, kicking toys out of his way instead of bending over and picking them up....and the loud piercing voice. OUCH. And "why do you insist on chewing your shirt?!" "Why must you swing your arms around like that?!" I hope I haven't damaged him too much. I wish I would have realized his NEED for sensory stimulation and offered him better alternatives. A snack to eat instead of the shirt. Kick the soccer ball outside instead of the water bottle around the kitchen, pound a hammer and nails into wood in the garage instead of the fist on the table, etc.



He is such a great kid, has such a sweet and sensitive heart. Tonight he pointed out a truck with two bumper stickers. One said, "I love Jesus", the other said, "Yes this is my truck. No, I won't help you move." He pointed out, "Mom, if they really loved Jesus, they wouldn't mind helping someone move."

0 comments: