We went to our first "Parents of Down Sydrome" support group tonight. Parents were very informative and helpful (and the kids adorable!). Our kids talked all the way home about all the little friends they met. They cannot wait to have their sister home! I am thankful for new friends who have already done all the grieving, question-asking, researching....so we don't have to. I am amazed at the resources these kids have available to them. I have a whole list of acronyms to Google tonight...education, therapy, sports programs, Special Olympics. There was a man with DS who was our speaker. He is 32 years old, and spoke about Special Olympics had helped him become who he is today. He seemed so....INTELLIGENT....and then he came and sat down by his mom, gave her a big kiss on the cheek, and then turned around in his seat and started smiling and making faces at a set of infant twins behind him. Such a sweet, sweet man! I was so glad to see this person, whose life some may not value, making such an impact on the lives around him. What a privilege it was to meet Chris tonight!
Thursday, August 09, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Isn't it surprising how intelligent these people are? I've come to realize in the last five years that everything I thought I knew about Down syndrome was WRONG! They are very smart, much smarter than they are given credit for. They just take longer to learn some things. For example, my son can pick things up that are visual in a second, but if I try to tell him to do more than one thing at a time, he looks at me like I'm speaking another language. They process things in such a different way than we do. Still doesn't make them dumb. :O)
Congratulations on your initiation into the world of DS. Isn't it eye-opening? LOL
Martha
Post a Comment