CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Tears again

I just got back from the Open House of Ava's future school for disabled children, "The Little Lighthouse". I knew this was a great school. I volunteered there for lunchtime feeding when I was in college. But I had a whole new perspective today. A mother's perspective. I still can't believe I will get to be the mother of one of these special kids!! Oh, the wonderful resources we will have when we become the official parents of Ava!

Hope kept asking me, "Mommy, what is that? What is that for?", pointing to all the special chairs and walkers. Things I had never seen before! We got to peek into the classrooms where the children were doing their physical therapy, rolling and crawling on mats on the gym floor, coloring at the table. We saw kids with hearing aides, kids with walkers, kids in wheelchairs, kids on the floor on boppy pillows. Of course the ones who really caught my attention were the ones with Down Sydrome. One little girl was playing peek-a-boo with her teacher, and there was another little girl learning how to hold a crayon and draw with it, and a little boy rocking himself in a teeny tiny rocking chair...

Then there was a luncheon with a video about how the school started 35 years ago. A woman named Marcia Mitchell (you can read her book, Milestones and Miracles) had a child who was blind, and there was no resources for her here in Tulsa. So she and another mother started this school, and several others have been modeled after it. One of the staff members is going to move back to the Phillipines where she is from to start one there too! The best part of the whole thing is...it's offered at no cost. It is run off of private donations only, and they do not accept any government funding. I sensed God's presence so strong today...in a special little place called....The Little Lighthouse.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

You are on to something important here. But I thought the most important thing in America was breast implants, and tummy tucks! These remarks may offend the crowd who really does think that happiness comes from some other place than from loving and serving others. Lead on, thou Joan of Arc.