CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, December 02, 2007

FAQ #2 Why Special Needs? (Why Down Syndrome)




Orphans with disabilities need families too!! Sadly, the orphans with disabilities are the most vulnerable AND the most difficult to place. In certain countries, disabled orphans are sent to institutions where most will die at a very early age. I never knew this until I met Andrea at Reece's Rainbow. I am thankful to her for bringing awareness to this very sad fact, and trying to find families for the most vulnerable and weak..the disabled orphan.

We had talked about special-needs adoption even before we were married. While we didn't have a set plan, we both agreed that we would be open to accepting a child into our family with a disability. There was a little boy at our church who was in foster care. He was 3 years old and had spina bifida. He couldn't walk on his legs, but he certainly didn't have any difficulty scooting himself with his hands. He was
such a delightful boy, and I found myself wishing I was his foster mother!!

Recently we had noticed a real gift of compassion in our children. Once at soccer practice, a mom came up to me, with tears in her eyes. Her son had a disability. He could walk but couldn't talk, and I got the impression that he could be aggressive and impulsive. The mom said to me, "Your son is one of the few kids who has ever played with my son. Most kids are afraid of him, but your son has played ball with him and talked to him today like nothing is wrong with him."

When God began stirring our hearts towards adoption this past year, we were pretty much open to anything, but we wanted to open our hearts toward a child that most other prospective adoptive parents would turn down. At that time the kids were in basketball, and there was a girl on Liesel's team with a little sister who had Down Sydrome. She was about 4 years old..the same age Ava will be when we bring her home! I would sit on the bench during practice and just watch and play with this little girl. I came home one night and told John, "I want to adopt a child with Down Syndrome." And that is when it all began.

We believe having a child with a disability can be a very negative experience or a very positive experience, all depending on how you look at it. Our family listened to a story on CD this summer about Corrie Ten Boom, and we haven't seen life the same since! We believe it will be a win-win for us all. She will get a family, and we will get the opportunity to entertain an angel! (Heb 13:2). I believe our lives will be greatly enhanced because of our daughter!

1 comments:

Kelly said...

What a beautiful, beautiful answer to a question you must hear from many people. I feel really honored that I've had the chance to "meet" your family online. You are wonderful examples of reaching out in God's love, with not only compassion but with joy and a positive attitude!!!!! Can't wait until your Ava is home with you.