Yes! There are many kids in foster care (about 500,000) in the U.S. waiting to be adopted, and there are many more throughout the world, also waiting to be adopted. Every child needs a family, and not one more than another. I wish I could give a family to every single child, but I don't have enough room in my house or time to properly care for 143 million orphans by myself.
We did not necessarily seek out "international adoption" per se, but as we began to research Down Sydrome adoption, we found out something very interesting...There are very few children with Down Syndrome in the U.S. who are not wanted and loved. When they are available for adoption, there is a 200+ waiting list of families who are ready to adopt. Fewer children are being born with DS in the U.S. because of early screening and, I'm very sad to say....abortion. In my research I learned that 90% of these precious human beings are aborted by their own mothers!! (I feel sick thinking about it). In many other countries, however, where fetal screening is not done, babies who are born with Down Syndrome and any other kind of disability, are being abandoned left and right (Again, my heart breaks at the thought of it). Most of these children will never know a family, and most will die very young. That is the reason we chose international adoption.
Monday, December 03, 2007
FAQ #3 Why International Adoption? (Aren't there plenty of kids in the U.S. waiting to be adopted?)
Posted by The Urbans at 9:52 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment