Our journey to adoption has been very exciting, emotional, educational, enlightening, and spiritually challenging.
I have always struggled inwardly with being a people pleaser. It became painfully obvious that I needed to let the Lord change my heart when I read "Search for Significance" by Robert S. McGee. For the first time in my life I realized that my addiction to people pleasing was preventing me from being a God-pleaser.
I had hoped everybody would be excited with us for this new child we will be adding to our family. I wish everybody could see that children are indeed a blessing from God, even after #2, and #3, and #4. I wish everyone agreed that a child is special, no matter what their birth order, or gender, or age, or ability, or history. I wish everyone understood that some people want to adopt for reasons other than infertility. I wish, when people ask "WHY", I could explain in words to them how I cannot go through my life, knowing the call God placed on my heart, and someday look back over my life with the regret of not doing what He called me to do. I wish I could make people understand that in our hearts we feel that Jesus has done so much for us, and we just cannot help but be obedient by welcoming a little forsaken child in His name. This is such a great privilege. It's the absolute least we can do for Him and for her!!
My friend Jill said this profound statement the other day: "Our God is efficient. Yes, He wants Ava in your family, but in the process He will be working to refine your heart. So don't be surprised by troubles and worries. God is working to strengthen your faith. Those troubles are simply tools in God's hands."
So the Lord continues to challenge me every now and then. I am learning not to be defensive. A gradual change is taking place in my heart. I wish it would happen overnight. But in the meantime I will expect tests and challenges, and questions, and I thank Him that he is growing me through them. And I hope our family, including Ava, will be an instrument that God will use to change some views on disability, adoption, children, and the value of life in general, in the process.
Wednesday, September 26, 2007
My thoughts on adoption
Posted by liesel at 10:45 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Anyone that knows you and your family can plainly see that God is working all this according to His plan and everyone of your family members are not only obedient but ready and waiting. I truly have never seen anything like it. Our family is learning by watching your family. I can firmly say that Jesus is so pleased when he looks upon the John Urban Family. We feel honored to know you...
I'm going through something similar... I want more than anything to be able to adopt. But everyone keeps asking me WHY.. and especially why a special needs child. My parents actually told me that if i adopted it would be taking "things" away from my other children... i was horrified that such a statement came from the people who raised me... I see it as giving my other children a sibling and a special someone to learn from as they grow, someone to share their life with... "things" arent whats important. I've been trying to figure out how i can have such a powerful draw to something when obviuosly it wasnt a value i was raised with.
I assure you that you will see an amazing difference in those around you once you bring your little one home. We have had so many opportunities to share our story and our faith in the month that Xander has been home. I have no doubt that our child (and yours) is a living testimony to the power of our God & to the blessings that come when we step out of the box and act on faith. What your family is doing is incomprehensible to a lot of people...which is why not everyone is called to adopt a child with special needs. But, once your journey is complete(the adoption part) and little Ava is home with her family, more people will be able to see God's plan. Just remember, some people are visual learners and they have to see it to believe it :)
We are still praying for your family and for your precious little girl waiting on you at the Baby House.
Oma says: Thanks Charissa for letting us see into your heart. I was touched deeply reading this blog and so proud of the daughter(YOU) I have been blest to see grow into the wonderful mom and wife that you are.I loved your thought about infertility not being the only reason for adopting. I guess that touched a soft spot in my heart regarding your older sister and our reasons for starting our family with her. Proud of you !
Come on now folks, move along, not to much gazing here at this site. The drive by main stream media doesn't want you spending time at this blogsite. There are gays in Iran whose rights are being violated, and THIS they say is MORE important... Oh, Lord...help us! Makarios
What an eloquent post! I came across your blog from Jill's. Your words are the exact words that I feel deep within, but haven't said them near as eloquently as you! Thank you!
I look forward to following your journey. Your daughter is beautiful!
Post a Comment