As usual, I woke up this morning with two kids sprawled sideways in my bed. I said, "Hey, whose bed is this, anyway?" Jude said, "I didn't sleep in it, I just rested in it." I said, "Well, yeah, why don't you just let me rest in YOUR bed and kick YOU all night?" He just giggled.
Hope woke up in the night saying, "I want my mommy!" She had been put to bed by the babysitter last night so we could attend a wedding, and I guess when she woke up at 12:30am she thought I wasn't home yet. Anyway, I laid with her until she went back to sleep, but then a thought plagued me for the rest of the night.....
When an orphan in an orphanage wakes up in the middle of the night, who do they call for? Their favorite caretaker? Their mommy who abandoned them? Or do they just learn not to wake up in the middle of the night? Or do they wake up and not call for anybody? I stayed awake for an hour, bothered by the sad fact that there are so many millions of children who have no mother to comfort them in the night when they wet the bed, have a bad dream, feel cold, feel sick, or, just like my kids, get lonely in the night.
So as all 4 of us laid in our bed this morning (thank goodness it's a king) and talked about this. Hope said, "But Ava has a new mommy and a new daddy, and a brother and a sister now." She was grinning from ear to ear. I feel so blessed.
And then Jude said, "Can we adopt about 10 orphans? We can make the dining room into another bedroom." What a clever boy!
A few people have responded to our adoption news with the question--How do our kids feel about adoption? If they could have been a fly on the wall in our bedroom this morning, they would know for sure!
Sunday, October 07, 2007
I want my mommy
Posted by liesel at 8:33 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Charissa,
This is something that keeps me awake, too. Who takes care of them in the middle of the night when they are sick? I sure hope God has sent His angels to be with them when there is no one else. Very soon we both will get the chance to be there for our two new ones! :O)
Martha J.
Do you get your stuff from Ann Landers, or Little House on the Prarie. I just wish there were more homes all over the world where these dynamics occur, but for the main stream media, your prototype is mocked and tossed to the wind. Hang in there, and don't let ANYONE tell you it's all a waste of time. I liked the fishing story, so many feelings and emotions you've picked up and analyzed, I think some of us readers could easier identify. Thanks for telling us what that fly on the wall was seeing. We are real proud of you. It's not the TALK that people want to hear, but the WALK they want to see. Kudos from the River Jordan.
Post a Comment