CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Easter....An Adoption Story

I probably won't have a chance to update our blog for a few days, because we'll be leaving for Texas in a few hours. But I wanted to wish all my faithful blog readers :) a Happy Easter, and share something real quick that has been on my heart. We have a bumper sticker on the back of our Suburban that says "Adoption Creates Families". I have been passionate about adoption since I was bringing stray cats and dogs home in the first grade. I always thought that adoption was the right thing to do. It wasn't until I heard a series of sermons by our pastor, though, that I realized how much adoption is on God's heart too. Of course it is. How many times in Scripture has he commanded us to care for the orphans, the widows, the foreigners. His heart is for the lonely, the weak, the distraught, and He depends on us, His children to care for them! 


We were all orphans, separated from God by our sin. He made a way for us to be a part of HIS family, his kingdom through ADOPTING us! (Eph 1:5 In love He predestined us to be ADOPTED as His sons through Jesus Christ). We are ALL either orphans or we are adopted into His family. Adoption isn't Plan B, it is Plan A.....I am adopted and if you are a christian, you are too.

Anyway, last year on Easter Sunday our pastor started a series on adoption. It seemed like an odd choice of sermon topics for Easter Sunday until you realize Easter has everything to do with adoption. If you consider yourself a follower of Jesus, a christian, or even if you don't, I would like to challenge you to listen to these 4 sermons. Even just the first one will change your life. 

I was so grieved when I learned there are over 140 million orphans in the world! That number sounded so overwhelming. But then I learned (thanks Google) there are over 2 BILLION christians in the world. Way more of us than there are of them. I'm not a math whiz, but I know 2 billion is a LOT more than 140 million. The numbers don't make sense. If God commanded his followers to care for the orphans, and there are so many of us, why are there still so many of them? I don't believe everybody is called to adopt, but I do believe everyone should do something. I hope you'll listen to at least one, if not all of these 4 sermons on God's heart for the orphan....Click here and see what God would have you do to help the one that is dearest to his heart...the orphan.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter, Charissa. Thank you for sharing that.
~Lisa

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. That sermon touched us so strongly. Your message is also very strong and to see how well Ava is growing and developing in her new environment is a testament to the great need for orphan care, but also the provision that God has in mind to do it. Happy Easter.

Amy said...

Charissa-
I have been a "lurker" to your blog and just love the stories and all the pictures and video you have posted of Ava! It is AMAZING how much she has changed in such a short time!
Ava is so blessed to be a part of your family! I look at the pictures of Torez and it makes me so sad that so many children will suffer that fate.
Anyways - HAPPY Easter - and I love your blog!
Amy

Michelle said...

Charissa - Happy Easter! Give all of your little "Peeps" a hug from us! I am going to listen to the sermons tonight, after the kiddos are tucked in :o)

junglemama said...

I feel the same way too. IT just doens't compute. Happy Easter and safe travels.

adoptedthree said...

I am unable to have children and I believe God had chosen me to adopt. I am blessed by his decision three times over.