CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 10, 2008

A Plethora of Tuna

Before we left for Ukraine, probably early January, John met a homeless man downtown who was asking for money. He normally likes to give at least a little bit when he can but at the moment he had nothing to give. Instead he asked the man what his favorite food was, and promised to bring it to him the next day.

The man said he was diabetic, and what he loved more than anything in the world was tuna. So that night John went to the store and purchased tuna and a can opener with the intent of delivering them the next day.

The next day the homeless man was gone. Two months have gone by, these cans of tuna still in the back seat of John's truck....and he has never seen the guy again. So I finally brought them in from the truck yesterday.

The problem is we don't really eat tuna. So I put these away last night, trying to imagine how I am going to get rid of 8 cans of tuna. They will probably be there for awhile, but each time I open my pantry I will be reminded of what a great guy I married!! 

Anyone have any good tuna recipes?

7 comments:

WheresMyAngels said...

How sweet is your husband!! lol

I love Tuna Noodle casserole with the sour creme and mushroom soup topped with Parmesan cheese. Puree it and put it in a bottle for Ava! lol Bleh, that would have to be nasty!! lol I take care of an lady who barely eats and only wants to eat cottage cheese or tomato soup every day, so I have to puree meat to mix in it. She isn't happy with it at all!! lol But it is too mixed in, to pick it out.

Janell & Kenny said...

What a guy!

Let's see...tuna salad sandwhiches, tuna helper, add almonds and a drizzle of olive oil and mix (yummy, filling and great for dieting or diabetics we learned this from Joy) and hey one last idea....feed it to Bliss. Arthur loves it, of course b/c he doesn't want Checkers to get one up on him...lol!

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

use a general fish cake (similar to crab cake) receipe, the harsh tuna tastes frys away a bit so it just tastes like fish cakes.

Dalene said...

What a swell guy.

Dalene said...

BTW, thanks for using the word "plethora."

Anonymous said...

That was really sweet of your husband to do!

Sorry - no ideas on what to do with it, other than what others have alraady said.

Reading your post reminded me of about 7 years or so ago, there was a GOOD sale on tuna here.

It was something like 4 or 5 cans for a dollar [and hey - ya can't beat that, right?]

And, being a stocking up type of person - I ended up buying nearly 90 cans of tuna.

I figured if we had it twice a week then we'd use it up before it wasn't any good, right?

Well ... a month or so after I stocked up on it, my brother called to see if I wanted their aquarium and fish.

I said yes but they were so cute that, after I got them - I couldn't bear to eat any more tuna and haven't eaten any since then!

So, I had nearly 80 cans that I had to find something to do with [I gave much of it away to family and friends!]

Love,

Jennelle

Unknown said...

I am reading over a weeks worth of posts, just had to pick one to comment at...I wish he could have found that guy. Maybe John will see him again. Reminds me of a guy in Columbia who asked for coffee (homeless), but when we got back out (with the extra cup) he was gone! I love the pics and video! Glad things are going so well!