CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 04, 2008


This is our first attempt at wearing glasses, and Ava did great!! Maybe she was just too tired to protest, but she left them on and I was shocked! I took her to the mirror to see herself and she just grinned. I would love to know what she sees before and after. Wouldn't that be amazing to experience her world?

We also had an appointment with the Ear/Nose/Throat specialist today. Ava failed her hearing test. So she can't hear or see. How frustrated she must have been for all these years. The doctor said that her tonsils are huge and she has a lot of fluid behind her ears. He is hopeful that a tonsillectomy and ear tube placement will help her tremendously with her hearing and communication (not to mention the chronic runny nose, snoring, breathing, etc).

Something funny (or sad, depending on how you look at it) happened in the doctor's office. Hope was wanting to hold Ava (like always) before the doctor came in, and I said "no", which resulted in tears. So the doctor came in, gave the exam, and he and I both tried to ignore Hope's "temper tantrum" while he explained the anatomy of the ears and throat, and talked about surgery options.

Eventually he started feeling sorry for Hope, and turns to her and asks, "Are you sad that your mommy is giving all the attention to your new sister and you aren't getting as much time with her as you used to?" Hope shook her head. Knowing otherwise, I asked, "Hope, are you sad that Mommy won't let you hold Ava?" Again she shook her head. Then she pointed to her arm......that apparently had been stuck between the two chair armrests the whole time the doctor and I were ignoring her "temper tantrum". Boy did I feel bad.

And Krissi, if you are still reading this blog I know what this story reminds you of.....Several years ago when Simeon was a toddler, I got a phone call from my friend Krissi that she was on her way to my house, just stopping by to say hi. I ran through the house to do a quick pick-up, the whole time Simeon following me, crying to be held. When I answered the door, my crying toddler on my hip, I apologized for my cranky child (not my messy house though), and I explained that he must be tired or something. Krissi said, "Are you sure it has nothing to do with the clothespin that's on his finger?" HA HA Poor kid had a clothespin on his finger!! And that reminds me of another story involving a little boy and a mousetrap, but I'll save that for another blog.

12 comments:

rachel said...

you are taking such beautiful care of your family!
i hope that ava feels some relief once she has her tonsils out. not sure if you have any of your other children under anesthesia. if they have not, please know that most children wake up quite upset and it may take a while to calm them down. thankfully someone had warned me a couple of days before our son's surgery (tonsils and adenoids). my goodness, he was fierce! don't worry though, everything was much better after about 20 minutes.
thank you for sharing your journey online.

best regards,
rachel

WheresMyAngels said...

LOL!! Poor negleted Hope!! lol

Are they planning to take out Ava's adnoids also with the Tonsils? Having Cheyenne's adnoids and tonsils out helped ALOT with the runny nose.

Good luck and prayers with her surgery! Too cute with her little glasses on!

Janell & Kenny said...

Did your dr. say the not being able to hear is because of the fluid in her ears? Jeremy had that! They pronounced him as officially deaf...and i went into depression. But they didn't tell me it was b/c the fluid in his ears...its like they hear underwater.
If not treated yes she could loose her hearing if her eardrums burst.
Remember what I told you...that babies are not suppose to be born w/ ear infections and that it was more than likely a food allergy.
My book says she could have a food sensitivity...to something she loves and eats everyday. This could be causing the allergy symptoms in turn causing the ear infections so she can't hear. If she's has eaten bananas everyday of her life that could be it.
Just a thought...and by the way the glasses are cute! Are they staying on ok?

Janell & Kenny said...

p.s. funny story about Hope & Simeon...rolling on the floor laughing out loud...although probably not funny at the time! HA HA

junglemama said...

How precious! Everyday, with all this new knowledge about Ava, her world is opening up! I'm so excited for her!

Tim Rovenstine said...

You aren't spoiling that girl, now are you? Looks like she is will see herself smile in a mirror real soon!

Deb D. said...

I have been following your blog since you were in Russia waiting to bring Ava home. Reading this regularly is a ray of sunshine in my day. It blesses my soul to see the blossoming of Ava and your family's tender love. I am so excited to see what unfolds for her and your family in the days, weeks, months, and years ahead. Thank you so much for sharing. It is a joy for those of us who stop in.

kristynewb said...

Ava is so CUTE in her little glasses! She is looking so great! You are doing such a wonderful job with her! I'll say it again, "she is so lucky to have you for her mother". You're family is such a blessing!

Kristy

Me said...

awwwww she looks so cute. No way would my daughter ever keep anything on her face! She did have her tonsils & adenoids removed though and tubes in her ears that made a world of difference. She had a hearing loss as well due to fluid and once that was drained and the tubes were placed, she was babbling up a storm.

Melissa said...

Oh, those stories cracked me up!

Ava looks sweet in her new glasses!

4 princesses & then 1 prince said...

What a darling face! I love little glasses on little faces. My oldest started wearing them when she was barely 3. And PINK ~ what a perfect choice. Adorable!

Unknown said...

Before I got to the part where you reminded me, that is exactly what I thought of! That is so funny and like you said, sad. You make me laugh. I'm reading the last week and a half backwards, we've been gone a lot this week. Glad things are going so well! So sorry for Ava (and you) about that bruise!