CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Sensory issues

I have taken my senses for granted. I guess I knew that our senses are very important, but I have never appreciated sensory input like I have since having a little daughter with special needs. The problem we have on our hands, is, we have a little girl with the potential to scoot, crawl, and eventually walk....but not until we can help her learn to tolerate new sensations she has never experienced before. For example: her hands. She has probably never touched with her hands anything but her own skin and maybe the crib railing. So carpet probably feels like sandpaper to her hands. Most of the pictures we had seen of her she had her hands clasped together, like she was praying. The kids liked to think she was praying for a family with lots of brothers and sisters. But in reality,  the feel of her own hands clasped together brings her comfort I think. She still clasps her hands together when there is a lot of activity or stimulation. We have been trying to get her into the crawling position so she can start to bear weight on her hands and knees, and it almost seems excruciating to her when you force her palms down on the carpet or the mat. She cringes and cries and resists that kind of stimulation.

And she won't be able to eat solid foods until she can get used to the feeling in her mouth of new textures and tastes, and learn to want to put things in her mouth. It is all so foreign to her right now. So I am learning now why occupational therapy, physical therapy and speech therapy are all dependent on one another and go hand in hand. One of the experiments we tried the other night was "pudding therapy". Sounds fun huh?.......She HATED it!!! We put the pudding on her high chair tray, and she reluctantly reached for it. The minute it was on her fingers she pulled away and screamed, like she was being tortured. Eventually she rubbed it in her hair, thus the reason for the hair in the next video.....John tried warm water next. She liked water SO much better than pudding!

8 comments:

junglemama said...

How precious! You are doing a fantastic job. I think Ava will get used to all of these things over time. It just takes time.

Rita Andrews said...

Charissa
My Giovanna hated to do that type of therapy when she come home...HATED the shaving cream, playdo and many other things...but it did in time come around. There are some that she still doesnt care for today...

Rita

Anonymous said...

Charissa - Ava melts me! Thank you for sharing her and her every day miracles with us! You and John are sooo blessed!!

Dana H.

Christina said...

She is just too sweet and she looks so beautiful. Listen, if you want, ask your OT about brushing therapy for sensory issues. I've heard wonders about it and even did it on Kallie for a period of time. Also if you get bins and put different things in there, bird seed, coins, foam packing...stuff like that you can run her hands through it or even just show her that your doing it and it doesn't hurt and your enjoying it. Those are some of the neat little things we did with Kallie.

Christina said...

I forgot to add, Kallie NEVER tolerated stage 3 foods, but she could handle the textures seperately. I don't know where Ava is at as far as feeding but I wanted to mention that too!

Cammie Heflin said...

I think this kid has the best giggle ever! We are doing major sensory with Addy too, she hates it as well!

Michelle said...

She is so adorable, and good job, Daddy with the water! She looked so excited! You guys are doing such a great job with Ava! Pudding hair is the best kind of hair :o)

PS - Brush therapy is a great tool to use! We did it with Annie, and it resolved many of her sensory issues.

Janell & Kenny said...

This video brought happy tears! who needs tv when you have Ava! Loved the wiggles video too! Thanks bunches for sharing.