CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Good-Bye!

We are moving in 4 days! Moving with 5 kids is HARD work! Somebody should have warned me. I wish I could put the dirty laundry, dirty dishes and cooking on hold....just for a few days at least. The kids are unpacking boxes as quickly as I can pack them. Every trip to the GoodWill with donations is ending in tears, and unfortunately we are returning with many of the items I am trying so hard to get rid of. I asked my neighbor if she wanted our patio table to cover the hole in her porch. She said, "Nice try, Charissa. My goal is to not end up with ANY of your stuff." :) It's hard to know what to let go of and what to hang on to. And how did we end up with so many stuffed animals, bottles of brake fluid, brooms, shoes, electronic gadgets and cords? 


I have been thinking about ending this blog. I think probably most people who read it were following Ava's adoption journey. Sometimes I wonder if people groan when I post a picture of my kids' feet or a dumb You Tube video. Now is your chance to bail out. We are moving blogs as well as moving houses.

I'll start a new blog in a few weeks after we get settled in. It will probably include some stories and pictures of a wanna-be farmer and wanna-be farmer's wife trying their hand at agriculture. It might be kind of interesting, who knows?

If you are interested in continuing to follow the Urbans' family adventure, please leave me a comment or send me an email at charissaurban@yahoo.com so I can send you the new blog address. If you're happy to see us go, please don't tell me! Just pretend you never read this.

We have enjoyed getting to know so many of you through blogging, I love reading your stories too, and seeing your pictures, and getting comments in my inbox is always a treat! Thanks for following. 


97 comments:

THE CAMPBELL FAMILY said...

OH PLEASE LET US MOVE WITH YOU. WE WOULD MISS NOT FOLLOWING YOUR LIFE JOURNEY. MY CHILDREN LOVE TO CHECK UP ON YOUR KIDDOS. WE WOULD MISS AVA ALSO. THANK YOU AND HAVE FUN MOVING. THE CAMPBELL FAMILY. JODY

Anonymous said...

I definitely read your blog and will miss it. Keep me updated for sure. Aunt Beth

Yvonne said...

Blog is a great way to keep us connected. Don't get rid of it...we'd miss seeing what's new with the Urbans!!! Take a break while you move but DON'T get rid of your BLOG! Ava has just begun her journey & her new life. There will be school, new milestones, new pictures of her hair! You must reconsider! Good luck with you move!
Yvonne & Olivia~

Sarah Maples said...

I want to keep following please. You have a beautiful family and Ava just puts a smile on my face every day! sjomaples@yahoo.com
Thanks,
Sarah

Chad and Dana said...

Charissa ~ Please keep me on your blog list! I love checking in on your amazing adorable family! If you do any way cool homeschool field trips please let us know...we too are homeschooling a 1st grader and a preschooler! FUN! Email me your new blog at mom2malia@cox.net Dana

Qadoshyah said...

Oh I really enjoy reading your blog too! Email me your new blog link when you've got it up ;) ~ qf@gotdownsyndrome.net

I know the stress of moving! We just moved from California to Oklahoma . . . man has that been A LOT of work and we aren't even settled in with everything yet!

~ Qadoshyah

Anonymous said...

I would love to keep following
Tammy
tammyand03@aol.com

Emma said...

Good luck on your (house) moving, and your (blog) moving! I would very much like to continue reading your blog writings - so if you don't mind, please sign me up for the new one!
Sincerely,
Maia
mfamilytimes@gmail.com

Chelley said...

pretty pretty please!!!

I would love to be invited

chelleyau@gmail.com

max said...

Please continue; I need my daily Urban fix, it really brightens my day hearing about your family.

Kathy said...

I have really enjoyed getting to know you and your beautiful family thru your blog, and wish to continue peeking into your life. Please be sure to include me in the notification of your new blog.

Kathy

Jester 6 said...

Please, please, please don't stop blogging! You are the reason I started to blog. :)

I could even live with one very LONG blog everyweek but don't go away. Maybe the older kids could blog for you as part of a writing assignment?

Let me know what blog to follow you to.

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog. Please include me too. tstricklin_0829@yahoo.com

Jan

Me said...

I LOVE reading your blog too!!! If you start another one, please let me know the address so I can keep following. I love to see what everyone is doing!

Natalie said...

Wow, lots of moves at once. You will be busy. You are right, I started reading your blog to follow Ava home, but it is very exciting to think that since that time she has changed from the focus of the blog to just one member of the family!

I'd feel very privileged to continue to follow along.

Natalie (RR)

Terra said...

Please send me the new blog. I would be so very sad not to be following your families fun journey!!! Good luck with the move.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. I love reading the stories about the rest of your family just as much as I enjoy following Ava's story. Please invite us to your new blog...(although I'd love you to keep blogging on this blog!) Keep smiling through the move. You're going to make it!

markay714 said...

Why certainly I'd love to keep up with the Urban's. I enjoy it!

Anonymous said...

Goodness! I can only imagine what you are going through right now. Please let me know if/when/where you start blogging again. I love keeping up with your family. Of course, I would understand if you decided you were just too busy. What an adventure you have ahead of you!

:)
Justine

Lori & Family said...

Please keep me on for the next blog. I am waiting for the Prom pictures of when Ava and Zander go to the Prom.
hatiehazel@hotmail.com
Lori

Anonymous said...

hi there we(me and my 4 kiddos in Zürich) would love to check on your kidds,please let us know our new blog link.we check everyday on Ava and are overjoyed to see her progress...The Dietz Family.tatianna.dietz@tele2.ch

Anonymous said...

Looks like the AYES (eyes) are above the NOs (Nose) so therefore it is carried that you keep on blogging and don't take up joggin. Mexico

June Berger said...

Please let us come along!!!

June

Cammie Heflin said...

I will go nuts not seeing your family! Please include your new address for us!

mom2four said...

oh girl, you better not stop blogging all together! You were my inspiration for blogging and I don't even have much to blog about!lol So yeah, I want you to give me the new blog address.

Julie said...

I wanna continue to follow as well!!! You can't leave us hanging on how wonderful your family is going to do now that you have moved!!!!! : )

Tom and Ashley said...

I have been a silent reader until now, but I love reading your blog, and hope you will send me the link to your new blog! :) Thanks so much, good luck w/moving!! You have a beautiful family! ajd495@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Your blog is my favorite of all that I read!! Please add me to your new blog list. We are military, so I empathize with the moving....it's stressful but it will be worth it when it's all done!!

Wendy
wtobiasz@gmail.com

No Greater Gift Mom said...

I am just a lurker (found you from RR), your family is such an inspiration. We too are praying about adopting from Ukraine and are "almost there"! Please, let me know when your new blog is up and running- your move sounds very much like our family who moved 2 years ago from a subdivision to 13 acres. We also homeschool and LOVE every second of our "farm".

Anonymous said...

Today is my birthday and all I want is to be able to follow the Urban's on their journey:-) How can you deny a birthday girl?
Best of luck on your move and please add me when you are up and running again. I love your family..each and every one of them.
cheryl in KY
cheryjeff@aol.com

Shelley said...

Me! Me! Send me the link, please!
And, good luck with the move. We just did it with 5 kids. My advice...PURGE.

Michelle said...

you're one of the first places I read in the mornings...gee whiz woman.

Rita Andrews said...

Charissa
We would love to move with you!! I love checking everyday to see what new adventures you and your family have gone through. I love the wisdom you and your husband display to your children. And Sweet Ava, she so reminds me of our Giovanna when we brought her home. My husband looks at her and says "Wow, she is so much like Giovanna!" I thought so too!!!

Good luck moving! I know that is the one part I dread!!!

breanna said...

i've been following your blog since you adopted ava because of a family member of mine adopting from ukraine... and would loooove to continue to read your blog!! you are a very good blogger!!! : ) don't stop now! lol

Anonymous said...

I faithfully read your blog every day! Add me too!

Thanks
Stacy
spinegirly@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I like and enjoy reading your blog. Please keep me on your list
lucianaac@yahoo.com
Luciana

Anonymous said...

OH NO!!! You have become like my
own family. I am a grandmother (retired) and it is such a joy to read your blog. Please don't stop
writing. We have became so attached to you and your family.
Don't make a hasty decision, wait till you settle and rethink about the blog. You have been a blessing to so many people.
ritawages@bellsouth.net

Anonymous said...

Charissa,
I love reading your blog. I love seeing the amazing changes Ava is making and I love to hear about your family. Makes me feel as if mine is quite normal. Ha! I will email you so you can let me have your new blog.

little dalene said...

I'm going to guess (just from the 38 comments) that it would be easier to just stay here. :) Whatever you decide, please let me know.
P.S. Too bad your kids aren't in school during the day, you could just get rid of their stuff then. That's what my mom did. It took me MONTHS to realize it sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Oh I definitely want to be a reader of your new blog. Your family is just so awesome, and you are a really great writer :) Ava's progress is just so extraordinary and I just know the sky is the limit for her. I would be priveledged to be able to watch her grow :)

Kelly S
RR

Anonymous said...

I would like to be added to your new blog list! Thanks! Melissa

Sandi said...

Keep us on your list for your new blog:

sledding62@hotmail.com

We LOVE keeping up with the Urbans.

Christina said...

OH man! What a bummer! I totally want to keep reading about you and yoru family and getting to know you more! Please keep me in the loop! I am bummed!!

Kendra said...

I know that we have never met, but I love to see how Ava is progressing and have come to enjoy hearing about all of your kiddos! Please keep me in the move! :)
Kendra
kendra_kimball@yahoo.com

Melissa Mc said...

I check your blog everyday! Please don't go:( If you start a new one please let me know. I missed your conversation the last few years, this is a great way to keep up with each other.
Melissa

Tilly Cat & Pip-Squeak said...

Oh please send me the link to the new blog! i READ here every day! And I love you tube videos...

Anna

HeatherY said...

I would love to continue to follow your family. YOur adoption of Ava and the stories you have shared have really been a blessing to me. I can not explain why, but the few blogs taht I follow really have renewed my faith in God, and strengthende my commitment to adoption and also helped me with my own family. Knowing there are others who are walking a joureny, while unlike mine still with similarities, just brings me joy. And Ava is amazing and you all are really. Thank you for giving us a way to continue to follow your story. The Beahan-Yates Family. Heather

Anonymous said...

Huh? 47 people read you. You can't stop. ladams@juno.com
Lisa Adams

Anonymous said...

can 47 of us be wrong? WE DON'T WANT YOU TO GO!

Anonymous said...

Please include me on your list to your new blog. I feel as I know your family. It is amazing to see how much Ava is growing and learning.

Brenda
acebrenda@embarqmail.com

Rachel said...

Please send me the link to your new blog. I would love to continue to follow your family's journey.

Rachel
butterflygirl82@gmail.com
heartforthephilippines.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Oma says this is a great way to keep up with my grandchildren and have a peek into your household! Wish I was there to help carry that stuff to the Goodwill and select the goodies to bring to Mexico!! Hang in there and keep blogging!

Beth said...

I don't think that your blog is specifically geared towards adoption. I mean, even the title includes suggests your entire family.

But if you decide to start a new one, please let me know when and where. Maybe you could put a forwarding link so we can all find you easier.

Best wishes with the move. I've never moved with 5 kids, but I have moved 13 times in 21 years of marriage. It is never easy, but it does end eventually!

Lisa said...

I am a lurker here. I discovered your blog through Reece's Rainbow. I have enjoyed following your family along the past month and watching Ava blossom. I would love to follow your daily happenings. We have a daughter that we adopted from China.

Susan said...

Here's another vote for sticking around! (so far, I think it's unanimous!). Your blog always gives me a lift and inspires me in so many ways. I'd hate to wonder about "the rest of the story", so hope you'll keep everyone in the loop.

Best wishes with the big move!

Susan in Ky
susantiq@LEAVETHISOUTprodigy.net
(signed this way to avoid spammers)

Anonymous said...

I never comment on blogs-
but I had to today!
Please post the link to your
new blog or continue this one!
Ava is such an inspiration!
My favourite blog kid!
A Canadian reader

jennifer... said...

Was this a stunt to try and get a record # of comments??  I didn't even know you had blogged this today - it was MY MOM who called and begged me to keep you going!  I understand that life is hectic for you right now and will be for awhile, but give yourself a break and then don't pressure yourself to post daily when you pick it up again.  Don't you get it?  For so many you're a hero.

Liz said...

Please include me in too!!! I LOVE your blog and love the family pics and stories. It has especially been a joy watching Ava blossom these past 6+ months!!!

WheresMyAngels said...

Why in the heck are you quiting this blog. I don't think you should start a new one, but if you do please include me

Dalene said...

Ha Ha ha....

Wowzers.

So what is the deal with closing this blog down? Is there another motive that you aren't talking about? This may require a phone call.

You're not forcing anyone to read it!!! They won't come back if they don't want to.

Keep doing what you're doing. You're an inspiration, apparently all across the world!

These are the days... said...

I love reading your stories and seeing Ava bloom. We adopted our son from Ukraine in 2002 and its always wonderful to see what a family filled with love will do for a child. Please keep the stories coming..... and pictures! I can't wait to see what the new beautiful house has in store for your family!

RoverHaus said...

Is this one of those 'going out of business' signs people put up, except for a blog?

It sounds like the stress talking.

I would go have a beer and come back to it tomorrow.

In fact, have two!

Robin said...

PLEASE take me with you. I feel like I have just started reconnecting with you and I love getting to know your family through this medium. I hate to lose you all over again.

robindanielle@gmail.com

Alice said...

Please keep blogging. I only read once or twice a week, but I love your blog!

Alice said...

Please keep blogging. I only read once or twice a week, but I love your blog!

Carri said...

You better send me your new blog...you're not getting away that easily.

Anonymous said...

Please add me to you blog list when you start a new one. I have never left a message but have always loved reading yours. We adopted a four year old from Ukraine in 2005 and I love watching all these children grow up.
Vickie
kitchell2000@sbcglobal.net

Sean and Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sean and Lisa said...

Ooooh pick me! Pick me!
Charissa, I love reading about your family and would miss yous! Ppppllllleeeeaaaaasssse don't stop blogging! :)
covenantkprs@superpa.net

Christy said...

OK, I confess, I've been reading your blog for a long time and not commenting. My kids and I love reading about Ava and also all of your fun family adventures. Please make sure we are informed if you start a new one!

Wendy said...

Well your out of touch for a day or two and look what you almost miss.........no wonder we are so addicted to our blogs!!

Add me too

Wendy

Shea said...

I love reading your blog. Please send me the new addy! sheadrummond@hotmail.com

kirsten said...

Nnnooo! Please don't stop blogging...your the one who got ME started....I love hearing about my sweet friend and my kids friends. I noticed 72 comments....I think your a very "wanted" blogger. Keep it up!!! Every bit!

Arizona mom to eight said...

Oh, please invite us, we read your blog all the time, I love reading about the kids.

Anonymous said...

Please can I come along to your new blog too? My family and I would miss reading about your lovely family. Good luck with your move, Samantha in the middle of England.

sammystreetuk@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Charissa - how can you abandon those who get to see Ava and the rest of your kiddos only on the blog? It is an awesome thing to see a life saved and lived so fully as Ava's in blog entries. I am blessed because I get to see you guys in person, but your blog is one I check always to see what else is going on, what makes your family tick on a day to day basis. I hope all the comments make you reconsider...apparently you have quite to bloggy following! Keep your blog - it is such a witness to the power of love and adoption!
Rachel

Anonymous said...

PLEASE DONT STOP BLOGGING....I HAVE SO ENJOYED FOLLOWING ALONG IN YOUR JOURNEY.....MAKES MY DAY TO WATCH AVA AS SHE IS GROWING & PROGRESSING IN HER LOVING FAMILY.

BEST WISHES IN YOUR NEW HOME...IT'S BEAUTIFUL....IF I HAD A WAY TO SHIP THEM TO YOU,I HAVE A FEW MINIATURE HORSES THAT WOULD LOOK GREAT IN YOUR BARN:)ALSO THEY ARE GREAT THERAPY.



BARBARA & FAMILY

Jill Rude said...

keep up the blogging - I really enjoy checking up on what's going on with you and your family!!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your blog. We are also an adoptive family. We love to hear about Ava's progress. Please keep us updated!!!!

Nan and Dan said...

please post your new blog here so we can all follow your continued journeys!!

junglemama said...

Charissa, I want to follow along too.

Janell & Kenny said...

guess that settles it...majority wins the blogging must continue since I'm 82!
~hugs~

Anonymous said...

I, too, am someone who has never commented before. If I am completely honest, your blog has quite literally changed my life. I am currently a nursing student whose heart is focused on orphans and adoption, and I plan on adopting in about two years time. It has been a long, hard wait over the last few years as I work towards a career and building a great future for myself and my future children. I found your blog through the Reece's Rainbow Yahoo! Group when you had just met Ava in Ukraine. Since then your blog has been my first stop almost every morning, my motivation to push through life and difficult classes to achieve my dream. No matter how down I may be about a situation, internal or external, all it takes is one look at one of Ava's new accomplishments or the love in her siblings' eyes and I feel my heart find it's rythym and purpose again. All of this to say, Thank You. Thank you for allowing us on this miraculous and beautiful journey. Thank you for proving to people who doubt/doubted. Thank you for taking that leap of faith. And thank you for allowing a woman to find hope, encouragement and inspiration daily in your words and your world. You may just think you are blogging about "mundane" moments, but those moments are what drive many of us on, towards our own dreams and futures. Lives and destinies have been changed or born because of Ava and your story, and I thank you for the chance to continue being a "silent observer" into the miracle that is Ava Urban.

Sincerely,
Kristina

mscoloradonurse@yahoo.com

Kasey said...

Amazing, the Urban family has it's own reality show via blog. We follow the blog too, so does my Mom, so don't even think about stopping it! We are so excited for you guys to get to Owasso so we can come and play at the Urban farm.

Marrs Family

Deb D. said...

Don't leave me behind! I want to come, too! Please let me know your new blog address. It will be such fun seeing how your new home works out and how the kids grow, and how Ava develops, and . . .

Anonymous said...

Hi Charissa,

My name is Judy Manna, and I found your blog through some friends in SD. It was right at the time you were flying to Ukraine to adopt Ava. My friends were the youth leaders of the couple you met on the plane, who were on their way to adopt in Vietnam.

We are missionaries in Kiev and are finally in the process of adopting our 11 yr. old, Katya, who has been living with us for 3 years. We took her from an orphanage we've been helping (her mother gave us permission), took her home for the summer, then asked her mom if she could continue living with us instead of the orphanage. Her mom gave permission for her to live with us for 3 years -- to end in May, 2008.

After a year, we asked Katya's mother for permission to adopt her and were firmly told no and not to ask again. It was therefore a miracle from the Lord when Katya's older sister paid a visit to their drunken mother and convinced her that she needed to think about Katya and not herself. She convinced her mother to give up her maternal rights! Thank you, God and Olya!

Her mother signed all the documents, and they are now before the court. When they finally determine that Katya is a legal orphan (there is no father), she will be placed on the list and the 14 months can begin. We will attempt to get guardianship over her while waiting for adoption.

Anyway, back to the friends. They gave me your blog site (given to them by the couple adopting in Vietnam) because we live in Ukraine, and they thought it might be interesting to us.

You had JUST arrived in Kiev when I started reading your site. I read the whole thing. I clicked on "Our Ukrainian Journey" and read Kelly's whole blog, too! I had never had contact with adopting families before. Kelly was about 2 weeks from coming to Ukraine, so I kept following both of your stories.

When Kelly came, I mustered up the courage to call her on her cell phone. She was from Omaha (my husband's family lives in Omaha), and her situation with Vladik was very similar to our situation with Katya. She had a Life cell phone number (like me) and we could talk without cost. We became phone friends and talked nearly every day that she was in Artemovsk. In fact, we were on the phone together when we got the call from Olya that their mother had agreed to let us adopt Katya! Unreal. Kelly was SO excited right along with us. We got to meet Kelly, Vladik, and Igor before they flew out of Kiev.

We have stayed in contact, and Kelly and Victor were able to stay in our apartment in Kiev when Kelly came to get him. We had a group in from SD and were leading an English camp in Lutsk the whole time Kelly was in Kiev. We got back in time to have one night together before taking Kelly and Vitya to the airport the next day. At least we got to see each other again and meet Vitya.

I have followed your blog faithfully ever since. In fact, several of my friends and family are "lurkers" too. I have a handicapped older sister (cerebral palsey), and she has enjoyed following Ava's story.

I'd be sad to see you stop your blog. Please put me on your update list -- judy.manna@yahoo.com. Thanks. If you would like to see our website and pics of our family and Katya, go to www.youthdiscipler.com. My husband has implemented a youth ministry major in a seminary here in Kiev, and he teaches the youth ministry courses. We've lived here for 6 years -- from Belle Fourche, SD originally.

Charissa, we all feel like we know you. Thank you for ministering to me so many times. You are a wonderful writer.

In His Love,
Judy Manna

Anonymous said...

Duuuude.
You can't delete the blog.
It is the only way I can keep up with you guys, and feel like your right here with me. =]
I love you all ! & I will come visit you and your new house soon !
Love,
Heather !

Anonymous said...

I was reading some of your comments, and I have decided that .... you guys need to make your own reality tv show ! Like John and Kate plus 8 or Little People, Big World. That would be the BOMB ! haha !
Love HEATHER !

datri said...

Good luck with your move and please let me know when you are blogging again!

yulan (at) ecki (dot) com

Hollands said...

I love reading your blog, and I would love to continue.
Gina

absees123s said...

I am just a lurker, lol,. but I LOVE your blog! Please make sure and add me to the list!

Amy Wages said...

count me in!

Anonymous said...

I have been your faithful (and silent) reader for the past 8 months. Please don't delete your blog. You are such an inspiration. What your family has done for Ava cannot be described in words, but everbody can see that she also brought so much more love into your lives.
If you decide not to keep this blog please send me your new link.
PMaymin@yahoo.com

carol said...

Urban Family,
I also found your blog through RR. You were on your trip to adopt Ava when I started reading your blog.I read it daily.I'm hoping you will keep blogging. Ava is changing so fast. I hope you will let us all watch a bit. Your family is amazing. We live on a farm I think your going to love it.

carol n

Anonymous said...

Please allow us to keep following your journey! sarah.mull@gmail.com

Melissa said...

Let me join the ranks of those who love reading about your family! I can't remember how I discovered your blog initially, but it was while you were in country adopting Ava, and I remember what struck me the most was the look on your husband's face in the photos. He was clearly so in love with Ava.

We are an adoptive family as well, with two children from South Korea.

I hope you will continue to blog, and I also hope that you will feel free to be "real." I think it is an encouragement to all of us to see other families who struggle with the same things that we all do.

Dalene said...

Hey...I'm adding another comment, just because I don't want you to feel unloved or anything.