CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 11, 2008

Our big news!

Well I have been so eager to share a picture of our new house, and every time I go to do it I remember the pregnancy that I blogged about and lost...But I suppose that is a silly reason not to share our excitement. First of all I want to say, we have loved most everything about our current house. That is until they cut our greenbelt down and put up an 8 foot fence. They had told us when we moved in that there was a wooded flood zone behind our house and that nothing would ever be built back there. When we first moved in we had acres and acres of trees for the kids to climb, vines to swing on, a creek to play in. Then 6 months later a nursing home was built, a fence put up, and we have had a TINY back yard ever since. It may not be considered a tiny yard to most people, but to a homeschooling family of 7, I'd say it is pretty tiny. So we basically just needed something with more room for the kids to run and play soccer, do somersaults, ride bikes, chase dogs....whatever. Factor in, now, a child with a disability. We don't know when or how well she will walk (thus the need for something with bedrooms downstairs), how well she will understand "don't go in the street" (thus the need for something on a culdesac or in the country), not to mention finding a school district that will be able to meet Ava's special needs....we have really had our work cut out for us to find the "right" house.

So a couple of weeks ago I was on the verge of tears, (actually I was in tears) feeling like we would be here forever. John sensed my frustration, and came over to me (I was once again browsing real estate sites) with a pen and a pad of paper. And he said, "Make a list of what you need in a home". I did. He did the same. (Of course they were TOTALLY different things..he was more concerned about the neighborhood, resale value, etc, and I was looking for something homeschool friendly and safe). So then we prayed ever so sincerely, giving it to the Lord and asking HIM to help us find the house, no matter how long it took. Literally the next click of the mouse, this house came up. It had just been listed. It has 3 bedrooms downstairs, 2 bedrooms upstairs, a HOMESCHOOL room, a large eating area. And the best part is, it's on 10 acres! It will be closer to John's work and closer to relatives. John is particularly excited about the STOCKED fishing pond, and Liesel is particularly excited about the BARN, she is already looking on Craigslist for a horse. And I am particularly excited about the great special ed program that is literally across the street. There is a library down the road, a skate park within a couple of blocks, and a Wal-Mart just 5 miles away. Also, my dear friend Delahne will just be a couple of miles from me. I hope I'll get to babysit Hannah when she comes home from Eastern Europe!

Anyone who has known me since high school will know that I always wanted to marry a farmer. John confessed to me before we were married that he always wanted to be a farmer. A perfect fit. When I wrote on my list "a big yard", never did I dream that the Lord would give me 10 acres and my dream wraparound porch!!!! Well, today when I drove by, there was a big SOLD sign out front, and I thought, that is good enough reason to blog about it. We almost wondered if the deal we got was too good to be true, but inspections went great, and we are closing on August 27! Can you picture the Urbans here?

34 comments:

markay714 said...

Its great. Congratulations. I'm thinking you probably NEED a horse for that barn and to help eat a little grass instead of mowing - maybe a goat or two, also.

Chad and Dana said...

Oh Charissa...Jealous over here...it looks big...can the Horton's move in too?! We are homeschooling and I would LOVE to have a room for that! You need to email me and tell me where your new dream house is located! If there is a neighboring house that becomes available..let me know! Enjoy!! It looks lovely.

Emma said...

What a beautiful house! Congratulations!

Mandy said...

Now that is just BREATHTAKING! How beautiful and exciting!!!!! CONGRATS Urban Family!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, its beautiful for your beautiful family!

Dalene said...

It's perfect!!!

I agree w/ marykay714 about the goats.

Terra said...

It's perfect! I am so glad you found something that will work for everyone in your family!! I am so happy for you guys!! CONGRATS!!

mom2four said...

Oh I am sooooo happy for you all!! I can't wait to hear the wonderful news that your current house is sold!! Blessings to your family, and we'll still be neighbors ;)

Bethany said...

That is awesome! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, what a beautiful house! Congratulations!!

Leah Spring said...

Oh my gosh! That is MY dream house! What an amazing place to get to raise a family. And the covered porch!!!!! AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH Congratulations to all the Urbans!

Anonymous said...

Congrats. You will have to email me and let me know where it is. We have been looking for 10 acres to open our own equine assisted psychotherapy center. Is it near Coweta??? I know of a place to take horseback riding lessons, if you want it. Let me know where the house is. I know I have seen it on our real estate search as of late.

Stephanie said...

Oh!!! I love it!!! LOVE the barn!!! We have Alpacas, a horse and a pony! And your barn is awesome! Check in to the local horse rescues for a horse, you'd be surprised what you'll find there and sometimes they lease the horses or 25$ a year. Thats how we got ours. We are getting 2 mini horses this next week too!

Rita Andrews said...

This is lovely!!! congrats to you...i hope your move goes well and you sell your other home just as quickly!!

rita

Jester 6 said...

Well, I DID like my backyard!

Just know that my husband will never see this post. He has always wanted a porch like that AND you already know there is no comparing your new yard to mine. LOL!

Congrats!

kirsten said...

Wow! What a beautiful place! I'm jealous too of the horse barn. I rode as a kid, so I'll be praying Liesel finds a great family horse or two, b/c when I visit I want to ride w/ her!
Sooo happy for you. It looks wonderful. Blessings:)

Michelle said...

Charissa - That is wonderful! The house is gorgeous, and the land is amazing! I sure hope Liesel gets that horse she's dreaming about :o) Happy new house!!!!!

Michelle (RR)

Marlita said...

Congratulations Urbans! We are excited to come have cookouts, sleep-overs and horse back riding lessons. let us know how we can help with the move.

Melissa Mc said...

God is so GOOD! You deserve it! I am so happy for you. I would love to come see it when you get settled. We too are on the hunt for our "perfect home". I hope to blog soon about finding it.

Liz said...

I just love the porch and I'm envious of your 10 acres!! Congrats!! :)

Mary Beth said...

What an answer to prayer. The house sounds like a perfect fit for you guys.

max said...

Hi Charissa
I tend to lurk everyday. But don't post because I can never remember my password ;)
Its wonderful -the house dreams are made of and I can see it is just the right fit for your family.
That barn is just the right fit too -for a pony and there's an wonderful organisation called Personal Ponies. They breed UK Shetland ponies and gives them to children with special needs to love and care for -for the child's life time.
Check out http://www.personalponies.org/
One of the moms on Downsyn got 2 ponies for her daughter, after I sent her the link- so its genuine.
By the way I love your Ava- she looks the perfect fit for you and your family.
The photo with John is beautiful and speaks volumes. She reminds me so much of my son Dominic in that picture, with those soulful eyes and trusting gaze.
Isn't unconditional love the most wonderful thing to give and receive.
Please do look into the ponies. I'm sure ajbest at Downsyn, wouldn't mind if you contacted her to see how she went about it.
Maxine UK mum to Dominic 4 DS and Elliott 14

Yvonne said...

Congrats on the new house! It's beautiful! The wrap-around porch is a personal fave! Can't wait to hear the progress of moving and see inside pictures and hopefully we'll get invited for one of those cookouts!! Yvonne~

Julie said...

Beautiful!!! I'm jealous. I would LOVE to have a house like that!

Anonymous said...

Yayyyy! Wow! That's sooooo awesome that you have a house now! I think our new house closes right around the same date.

liesel said...

Thank you Maxine. I will definitely look into those ponies.

junglemama said...

How beautiful. I'm so jealous. :)

amyl4 said...

Wow, that is a beautiful house, I love the porch too!
Amy

The Spicer Family said...

Perfect, Charissa, simply perfect! I'm so excited for you guys!!! Jill

Deb D. said...

Charissa:
It is a stunning home. And the story of God's provision of it is fabulous! I look forward to pics of the kids loving the home they are blessed to enjoy as they grow up in a family that is their greatest inheritance.

Amazing how well it fits your family's needs, including the nearby library and the special needs facility across the street. SWEET! (can I live on the porch? looks like there'd be plenty of room!)

Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful, gorgeous, perfect house for you and your family! I am so happy for all of you - and yes, do get that horse (or horses!).

And you have room for not one, but at least two porch swings! What fun you are all going to have in this marvelous house!

Best wishes,
Susan in Ky

Anonymous said...

We will be sad not to see Ava ever week, but oh boy! what a house! How could we not be so excited for you and your crowd, oh I mean family, to live somewhere so beautiful. As long as you come to see us sometimes and we can ohh and ahh over every new thing Ava does, we will survive. Rachel

Beth said...

Wow! What a lovely home!

I've been following your blog for quite a while (I'm a friend of Wendy Saunders and others from RR). This is the first time I've heard you mention homeschooling! I always thought you'd make a good homeschooling family, but when you blogged about Ava going on the school bus I dismissed the idea. But of course getting as much help for Ava is paramount at this point! We also are a homeschooling family, going into our 16th year. Our youngest is 10 and has Down syndrome. We just love learning and living together.
All the best with the move! Hope someone else can do the boxes for you!!!

Beth in Virginia

The Gross Family said...

Charissa...congratulations. What a beautiful place. Can we come live with you? I hope to be in my deam home soon too. We will begin looking late 2009. We want the exact same style, barns, acreage, etc. Now you can get a pig!