Something really cool happened while we were in Ukraine. The night before we returned home with Ava, we got an email that brought tears to my eyes. A couple that we are friends with had spent the last 2 1/2 weeks following Ava's adoption journey. In the process of watching this blog, they had clicked on the Reece's Rainbow link, and had fallen in love with a little 3 yr. old orphan girl with clubbed hands and feet. Her name was Natia. The Wright family is now 7 months into their adoption process and expect to be getting a phone call any day with a travel date to bring home their soon-to-be "Hannah".
A month or two ago, an online friend, Bethany, had written this post on her blog about the steps that led her family to adoption. I was humbled that she mentioned Ava's adoption story as at least part of their inspiration to adopt a little girl with Down Syndrome internationally.
I remember blogging a year ago a cliche' phrase that "We can't change the world, but we can change this little girl's world." Little did I know at that time that she would be changing my world. And little does she know, that she has had a part in changing the world of two other little orphaned children, who will soon know the love of a family.
Both of these children live in countries that happen to be very expensive to adopt from. I know from personal experience that it is a big financial sacrifice to adopt, whether international or domestic. And I also know that it is not fun to ask anybody for financial help to do it. Being that these two little girls and these two families are special to me, I am going to ask for them.
Would you consider sponsoring one or both of these families in their adoptions? By the way, I got a voicemail from Delahne yesterday. She informed me that some friends of theirs who have been following their adoption have felt the Lord's call for adoption themselves. Now isn't that cool? And Bethany blogged yesterday about an article that was written in the Washington Post about their family's adoption journey. The word is getting out. Adoption is God's heart. It is an amazing ministry. I can't wait to watch God's plan continue to unfold for these families and these children. If you would like to help these families, you can find the links here:
The Balsis Family
Grab This Button
The Wright Family
Friday, August 22, 2008
Posted by liesel at 9:49 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
All I can say, first words that come to my mind is WOW. That little Hannah's picture moved me, and how it began by Ava's Story moving them.I say WOW. That's better than Obama picking Biden.
Charissa, thanks for these opportunities. I'm not in the place to adopt yet but I CAN do this. James 1:27 continues to resonate in my heart - "Religeon that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress..."
Wow...wow. This is amazing, it's like a chain reaction or something. :) your family is amazing, your blog is amazing, and you know the chain keeps going on and on, I want to adopt a child too! :)
Aww, thanks Charissa! Your family was definitely a huge inspiration to me to push forward with this. After I posted John's recent post for father's to read, my mom read it and said it brought her to tears. You impact so many people, I can only *hope* that we impact people along the way like you have. :) Thanks so much for sharing your journey with us!
Charissa, That totally caught me off guard and made me cry! We are so grateful to you and your family. Who knew back when we were bathing nearly comatose people that we'd share all these life experiences? Love you guys!
you are touching and changing hearts more than you think
God Bless
Ali - Monterrey , Mexico
Post a Comment