We just returned from a 6 month/adoption/growth and development/well-child/immunization visit from the pediatrician. Has it really been 6 months since we came back from Ukraine??!! I can hardly believe it. I am happy to report these developments:
-Weight 6 months ago: 18.5 pounds, weight today: 28.6, that's a 10 pound gain, putting her in the 25 percentile as compared to other 4 1/2 yr olds with Down Syndrome (she was in the 5 percentile before)
-Length 6 months ago: 24 1/2", length today 28 1/4", that is a growth of almost 4 inches, putting her on the chart finally, in the 5 percentile as compared to other 4 1/2 yr. olds with Down Syndrome :)...short little thing.
-6 months ago she was strictly bottle fed and wouldn't tolerate anything else in her mouth, would gag if you tried....Today she is drinking out of a sippy cup (and even a straw once or twice!), eating crackers, bananas, and about anything else with a spoon as long as you mash it up a little bit
-6 months ago: Couldn't sit, roll over, grasp an object, or smile socially... Today she crawled around, held and looked at books, gave the doctor big grins, and even waved bye-bye when we walked out.
-6 months ago she wouldn't have known what to do with a princess sticker....today she enjoyed sticking it on her belly and on her face
-6 months ago, I got to eat her sucker in the car after we left, today she held and licked her own sucker in the car after we left!
..........I also spoke to the doctor about the conflicting hearing test results. Thankfully she is going to investigate for me to find out why there was such a discrepancy in what I was told both visits, and whether we need to pursue hearing aides or further testing.
Wednesday, August 20, 2008
Ava's visit to the pediatrician
Posted by liesel at 4:54 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
What amazing developments in such a short period of time. That is what a forever family can do. Praise God for her continued growth and development, may she surpass everyone's expectations.
Was the doctor shocked? What an awesome update!
Congratulations on such great advancements! I love hearing all the great reports on your smart little Ava. She's SO precious!
I just came across your blog -you have a beautiful family! Sounds like Ava has really blossomed and grown since joining your family 6 mths ago!
I hope Ava's glowing report makes it back to Ukraine!
And congratulations to you all for your faith, trust, and love. How encouraging this great report is for Ava's future.
Woo-Hoo!!! Big girl is growing fast!
Marlita asked, was the doctor shocked? Well she has seen her periodically and has witnessed many of these things gradually. I think she was the most surprised at how interactive Ava was, and she was really happy to hear that she had weaned from the bottle, since that was what she and I were both worried about.
Susan said she hopes these reports are getting back to Ukraine. I do know that Inna the director of the orphanage visits this blog regularly. Whether she can read the words, I do not know, but I pray that she will know by the pictures at least that Ava is healthy and well loved and thriving in a family. I dream of taking her back someday to meet her caretakers.
Yay, Eva! You've come such a long way, little girl! You and your family are such an inspiration to many!
Rebecca, Mom to 2 Colombianas
Ava accomplished so many things in such a short period of time thanks to the wonderful family that gives constant love to her. Keep doing great Ava!!!
Luciana
4 inches of growth?!?!?! That's more unexplainable than simply gaining weight. What it is is a testimony of love....and being rolled down the sidewalk on a skateboard car, possibly.
Go Ava! You are a champ!
Charissa, that is just awesome! She is turning into such a big girl right before your eyes! :)
Kelly S
Wow! That is so amazing! I agree with what Jennifer said about the four inches of growth. That is how much Lilly has grown in a year for the past two years and you know what a tall girl she is (and seemingly constantly in a growth spurt and outgrowing all her clothes.) Ava may end up being a tall girl if this keeps up! God is so good! I'm proud of you and your family for being obedient to His call!
:)
Justine
Wow Charissa. You and your husband are doing such a great job with Ava. She is so blessed to have the two of you as parents.
Post a Comment