Today we have been home with Ava for one week. People have asked how we are adjusting and I didn't really want to answer until we had about a week's worth of adoption experience under our belt. So now I will tell....
Considering the fact that we plucked this little girl a week and a half ago from the crib in the far corner of the tiny little special-needs room of Orphanage #13, Artemovsk Ukraine, went straight to riding a taxi to Donetsk, a train to Kiev, then an airplane to Munich, Denver and Tulsa, then a Suburban to our house, then sleeping in a new home, associating with complete strangers who speak very loudly in a foreign language while making funny faces, eating strange-smelling foods, and being picked up and carried far more than she has ever been accustomed to in her short little lifetime, I would say Ava Alina Grace is adjusting remarkably well. She really is a delightful little girl. If you haven't met her yet you are missing out.
She loves her bath, I would guess she has never had a full immersion bath before (I could be wrong, but it's a guess), but she is very content to even get her hair washed and feel the warm water pouring over her. She is getting better about letting me brush her teeth, and my sister pointed out this morning how much better they look already! Changing her clothes is one of the highlights of my day, because I rub her down with lotion and she is so ticklish we both end up giggling the whole way through. Sometimes we just stare at each other and we both break into big grins.
Hope is convinced that Ava said her first word: "island". She has been telling everyone that her baby sister is learning to talk and that she can say "island". HA I don't have the heart to tell her otherwise.
If there has been difficulty it is in the area of feeding/digestion. I have learned since we came home that this is very common in newly adopted children, especially international adoptions. Makes sense, considering how differently she was probably fed there. Even the dairy products are completely different here and may be more difficult to digest. I got some great online advice to start with bland foods, (B.R.A.T. diet), and gradually add new foods a little at a time, starting with baby food and Pediasure. We started this morning and she already seems to be happier.
I have heard that it is common for siblings to quickly decide they don't want their newly adopted sibling, and want to "send them back" (also common with biological siblings, I know). I was prepared for this response, especially from Hope who has been the baby for 3 1/2 years. Well, thankfully we have heard nothing like that. What we have heard, however is a lot of helpers wanting to be the primary caretaker."Can I please, PLEASE rock her to sleep?" "Please can I feed her the bottle"? Can we take her to the park, pretty please? She would love to go down the slide, and "It's not THAT cold outside, mom!" Can I feed her a cookie? She would love a cookie, And quite a bit of arguing over who will sit by Ava in the car and at the table. Jude reminded me this morning that if we would have brought home two orphans like he asked us to, everyone would get a chance to sit by one and they wouldn't have to take turns! HA. The boy can do math.
Every now and then Ava's little lip will start quivering for no apparent reason, and a tear will start rolling down her cheek. She doesn't make a sound. I can't help but wonder if she is missing the smell of boiling potatoes from the kitchen right next to her room, or the sounds of the ladies speaking loudly in russian, or the sounds of the babies next to her rocking or crying to be fed or held......or....
15 comments:
O this blog is so full of different emotions! Jude is hilarious...and does have such a point! Thanks for sharing all this and we pray for her as she probably is as homesick as your other ones have been! But I know she LOVES where she is FAR MORE!!!! The picture of all the little orphans...I would bring home the one sucking his thumb!!! We'll come visit soon...no body can hardly wait! love ya!
Heyy !! Thanks for my new Ukrainian hat ! I love it ! && that Russian Chocolate was sooo good ! I can't wait to come see you guys ! Love you !
-Heather
Awww....hearing about her crying for no reason, just breaks my heart. Don't you just wish you could get into our kids minds to find out what they're thinking? Sounds like she's adjusting so well though. I can't wait to watch her grow and thrive some more!
Thinking of her crying for no reason and not making sounds makes me just want to cry. I am so glad all your kids are doing wonderful with her...Those pictures are precious. It really looks like she was loved as much as they could love her.
It sounds like everyone is adjusting beautifully Charissa!
Evan has definitely had his moments of homesickness as well and it really pulls at the heartstrings. The woman in the red jacket, I believe is Natasha (she was one of Evan's favorites and he talks about her all the time). I think we are both going to have to pick Kelly's brain once she gets home and find out all of their names!
Thank you again for sharing these pictures with us. I had them developed and added them to a small picture album I made for Evan to look at and he really loves it. Whenever we look at pictures of "home" he always beams, but he also snuggles up close to me and kisses me between each picture. It has definitely shown me that, while he does miss "home," he is happy to finally be HOME!
Beautiful post, Charissa. Vera would, for no apparent reason, burst into tears for the first couple of weeks we had her home but the good part was that she let me hold her and comfort her. What a huge change we are imposing on these little ones!
I wish I could be of help with the feeding issues, but the issue around here is hiding the food from Vera.
I believe Hope, that Ava's first word was island...wasn't she 'conceived' on an island? I think it's only fitting!
jill
Ava sure is a precious angel. The silent crying just makes me want to weep with her. You never know Charissa, they may be tears of joy. :) Either way, Ava sounds like she is coming along so well, and I wish you , her and yhe fmaily the very best. Thanks for continuing to post even during your busy days.
Reading your blog, I draw the same conclusions as Kenny and Janell, it is so full of different emotions. Reading the news I feel the emotions of anger, irritated, helpless, and reading yours I realize that you all along said you couldn't change the world, but you could change Ava's world. How this now has come around that Ava is changing our world..at least she has changed mine. I love you for this step of faith you have taken. Happy Valentine
I wonder if she feels a bit like YOU did, in a strange land, with strange voices, wondering what amazing thing was happening in your life but terrified of it nonetheless? She will have peace Charissa. Imagine the biggest thing you can give her...the knowledge of Christ...and imagine her life without that? Love, that beautiful family, people to love her...she will know soon enough that she has hit the jackpot. For now, you understanding her hurts and fears is enough. (((hugs))) to both of you
curious about therapy Charissa. Is she getting any? Broken Arrow Schools? You mentioned a long time ago you had a waiting period for Little Lighthouse. I am needing to find occupational therapy for my middle child. They were explaining to me that trunk strength helps people to do stuff like handwriting and that everything is interconnected. Is she eating more solid food?
Lisa Adams
Charissa,
What a precious post. I am praying for you all.
Joy
oh my gosh...I just looked again at the pic of all the kids together...have you looked closely at that one? SOMEONE apparently had a blue/green marker prior to the photo op, the nd and 3rd from the left are both markered up, and the little blonde fella in the middle has it all over his head. LOL so normal...so sweet...and yet SO sad.
I totally enjoy the blogs, and thank you so much for taking the time to do this. I really appreciate your honesty with all the emotions involved during this journey. It's no secret that God has blessed you all abundantly. I'm so pround of the kids for the ways they are extending love to Ava, too. If you think of it, could you please send me a hard copy of the "new" family photo? I love it...and yes, you have the BEST sister in the world with Marlita! Love you...Aunt Sharon
Dear Charissa,
I am so happy you got a picture of her favorite caregiver.
I personally miss the smells and sounds of Ukraine, I know Kara does too. Today she socially smiled at Meghan's speech therapist. They adjust remarkably well to the changes in their lives. Ava is such a lovebunny too, I know it hurts to see a silent tear run down her face.
We asked for Kara's caregivers names and they would not tell us, I feel sad not knowing who they all were. Some of them were so wonderful with Kara. I am planning on writing a letter soon to let them know how she is doing.
Your post touched my heart.
It's wonderful that you were able to get these pictures to save for Ava. So important for her and for you to have this piece of her past. It's all a part of who she is. You can tell her that they loved her and kept her alive all of those years until her heart could be fixed.
Dolores.
Post a Comment