It all makes sense now.
Before we left for Ukraine, I kept trying to go to the GoodWill and logging onto Ebay and Craig's List looking for some much needed "baby"items. I kept getting so aggravated with John who kept insisting I wait until we see Ava, see what size she is, what her abilities are, etc. He kept reminding me we'd have the 10 day waiting period to shop my little heart out and he finally convinced me to quit stressing about all the things we needed. When we got our ten days waived, I reminded him that we were going home totally unprepared because of it. HA
When we arrived home, and after a few inadvertent clues from my kids and others, I realized my sister Marlita was up to something. While I always have wondered "Who would want to attend a baby shower for somebody having their 5th kid?!", Marlita believes that "Every child deserves a celebration", and has been working feverishly, apparently since November, organizing an "Open House", come-and-go celebration, for Ava (she knew I wouldn't want it to be a baby shower). Have I mentioned how much I love my sister?
I had to fight back my tears as so many people walked in the door Friday night, (some that Marlita doesn't even know, but made the effort to contact anyway), carrying gifts that she had registered for without my realizing it. Imagine my surprise when a couple of old college roommates walked in the door. Relatives, neighbors, friends from church, friends from our former church....even Miss Kate from the Little Light House where Ava will go to school someday. We both were absolutely blown away!!!
The entry table display. Isn't the frame cute (and the photo even cuter)?
We never got around to counting how many people were here, but to give you an idea, this cake was supposed to serve 100. Here is the before photo...
And the after photo! :)
Not many people got to hold the star of the show, but Nanny (Ava' great grandma) was one of the privileged few..Nanny is 93. Nanny never had any siblings growing up so to make up for it she had 7 kids, 27 grandkids, and 40-something great grandkids. The amazing thing is that she can keep up with everybody's names.
This high chair is much better than one I ever would have found at the GoodWill! :) It will seat her up at the table with us, and it reclines until she can sit up better. ( I LOVE this high chair!) Not to mention it doesn't have crumbs and smudges in the crevices from the previous owner. Thank you Sunny and Alisa!!
Flowers, even!
Thanks Melanie and friends, bibs with Ava's name embroidered on them
This was my favorite gift of all....a "Blessing Ring". Cards with special notes and prayers and blessings written on them, a keepsake for sure. Michelle, if you can enlarge the photo you can see your poem printed out and attached. Who did that, Sunny? So sweet!
Clothes, clothes and more clothes...a "plethora" of them, as El Guapo from the Three Amigos would say. Some clothes for now, and many for when Ava grows a little.
The sweetest diaper bag from my old college friend, Jennifer
Occupational therapy without a co-payment! Thank you Voths and Smiths!
Physical therapy without a co-payment, from Aunt Sharon
Music therapy too, from the DSAT bunch
And my wonderful sister Marlita who I love so much . Thank you Marlita from the bottom of my heart for making us know how loved Ava truly is. You have been a great blessing to me.
Sunday, February 10, 2008
Everybody Loves Ava- A Friday Night Surprise
Posted by liesel at 4:10 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
That is so awesome! I am so happy you've got such a great support system!
Your sweet sister even tracked my email down and asked me to come! If Vera's birthday hadn't been the next day, I'm not so sure I wouldn't have come!! What a fun surprise that would have been!!! I'm so glad it was fun. What a great picture with Ava's great-grandmother. Jill
tears running right down my face here, to be included (somehow?) in your joyous day just made me so proud. Gosh, I wish I lived closer. Welcome home, beloved baby girl.
Charisa,
You are so blessed with such a wonderful family and friends! What an amazing gift for you and your well deserving Ava!
Amy
This is so great! I love the picture with her great gma and that ring of notes is such a great idea!
I am so happy for you! What a blessing!
What a beautiful night. Thank you for allowing us all to celebrate with you!
Melanie
How blessed you are! I felt the same way when I was TOTALLY surprised with a baby shower for my fifth child, second adopted, Jonathan! My friends from church did it for me and I was so blessed, I never had any clue! (not unusual some would say ;o) )
Praising God for good family and friends.
June
Oh, what an awesome celebration! You are so blessed to have such a great family, friends and your wonderful kids! Congratulations again! Ava is a doll!
That is SO COOL! I am so happy for you guys. The reception that Ava has had from friends and family must be so comforting and exciting! We look forward to meeting your newest daughter (and Hope, too, we haven't been to OK since she was born)! Be blessed!
What a beautiful surprise! Your sister is really special!
I got a laugh as I was scrolling down and reading. My three year old yells, "Go back up" so I go to the picture of Ava on her great grandma's lap. She saids "There is Mercede" Mercede is 17 but she has seen her baby pictures and even she thinks Ava reminds her of Mercede.
What a blessing! What gifts (people) God has given you.
Gina
Fabulous, such love and support from everyone for sweet Ava. I am so happy she is home.
Post a Comment