CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, February 24, 2008

More "therapy" with Hope


Out of all my kids I was the most worried about Hope and how she would take to having a new sibling suddenly appear in our home. Hope is 3, and the baby of the family. We have a very unique birth order. Ava is 7 months older than Hope chronologically, but developmentally she is about three years younger. We didn't know how to explain this concept to Hope, but we had to recently after celebrating Ava's birthday, with FOUR candles on the cake. Hope does understand now that Ava is older than her, but she continues to introduce her to everybody as her "baby" sister. I really braced myself for some real challenges from Hope with this whole adoption thing, but I have been so pleasantly surprised. She thinks the world of her new sister! She wakes up first thing every morning, asking "Can I hold Ava?" Every meal she wants to sit by Ava, and during nap time, Hope wants to "check on Ava" several times. I can see that Hope was not meant to stay the baby in the family forever. It has been so wonderful to see her in a role she never got to play before....a role of a nurturer, a helper....a big sister. I have seen some real neat changes in her, and I am so proud of her.

11 comments:

Tim Rovenstine said...

Hope also was the one I worried about. Thanks for being sensitive to her need as well, when people start paying the price of the extravagant affection poured out on Ava, the obviously one to feel the crunch would be Hope. I'm glad you wrote that you were proud of her. If she knows how you feel, she'll keep playing on your team.

WheresMyAngels said...

It is such a hard thing for a 3 year old to grasp. My three year often talks about how when she and Mercede are as BIG as Cheyenne, they can stay home by their selves too. She doesn't realize that Mercede is older than Cheyenne, she just knows she is much smaller. In just a few years my 3 year old will be taller than my 17 year old Mercede. Aysha is already wearning some of Mercede's shirts and Mercede's shoes are only two sizes bigger than hers. It will be interesting.

The video of Hope was adorable. She is a great lit sister!

4 princesses & then 1 prince said...

You have truly been blessed with wonderful kids. I think it goes without saying that they are taught and continue to have a wonderful example of love for each other from their parents.

The video clips of your kids with Ava are so precious.

I continue to enjoy reading your updates. You give me inspiration to be a better person. Thank you.

Tilly Cat & Pip-Squeak said...

What precious video clips. I loved the one with Hope... heartwarming!

Terra said...

Precious video!

Michelle said...

what a sweet and gentle little girl. Charissa, I told you not so long ago that the kids would be the BEST therapy for Ava. I maybe forget to tell you what good therapy she would be for THEM. DS is this...force...it is some kind of unleashing of love in its purest sense. I am so tickled to watch that happen to all of you. You all deserve one another. :)

The Urbans said...

Michelle, that is one of the best compliments anyone has ever given me. Thank you. I'm crying.

Janell & Kenny said...

The touchy feely book w/ the kitty is a much better idea than a real one...ha ha! Precious videos of Hope and Simeon! The values you are teaching your children ...priceless!!

junglemama said...

Hope is so gentle with Ava. What a wonderful bond they are forming. I hope that our adoption is as fruitful as yours is. :) Blessings.

amyl4 said...

I love reading your blog. You have such sensitive and caring children. This video is just precious, you are blessed!
Amy

Jennifer said...

I love your blog, your family, and your new little one! But I've never commented before. It's so cute how she is wiggling the fingers on her other hand! It seems like she's anticipating the feel on her fingers! So cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!