CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The joys of bunk beds

Hope fell off the top bunk tonight. The only one who witnessed it was her 3 yr. old cousin Sebastian, so the details are pretty hazy. We found her laying on the floor, holding her face, crying unconsolably. It took us awhile to console her enough for her to tell us it was her teeth that were hurting, and not her face or her head. Sure enough, she has knocked loose one of her top front teeth. Not having any idea what we are supposed to do in a situation like that, we called the on-call nurse, who, of course recommended we bring her in to the urgent care clinic. I'm sorry, but why can they never just tell you what signs to observe for, or what you can do at home until you can get an appointment the next day? Why do they always want you to go to the after-hours urgent care clinic? And why do these things always seem to happen after office hours? Call me a bad mom, but I was not about to bring a cranky 3 yr. old, past her bedtime, wait 2 1/2 hrs in the urgent care waiting area, only to be told to schedule an appointment with the dentist tomorrow. I mean, really, what are they going to do in the urgent care clinic?

We have certainly had our share of stitches, febrile seizures, bruises and bumps, I've even had a couple of kids get stuck between the railing slats or behind a bunkbed, but tonight was our very first dental injury. Anybody know what we're supposed to do? She is now sound asleep, coherent when we wake her (although very grumpy). Will it have to be pulled? Should I have put ice on it? Will I need to take her to a dentist tomorrow? What will they do anyway?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Charissa! This is Lydia Nast--I am loving your blog! I just found out about it a week ago--I read it every day! I am so touched by your adoption of Ava. I am so happy for you, your family, and her. She is a light--so beautiful! I love all the videos! Congratulations on your your new one to see in October-- how exciting! The Lord has truly blessed you. Your family is a joy! I think that you are doing the right thing with Hope-- making a dentist appointment and that's good that she was alert after the fall-- all should be well! The Lord bless you-- Lydia

Rita Andrews said...

Charissa, so sorry for her ...im sure she is scared to death...anyway, my son did the same thing when he was little. They will not pull the tooth unless it is dangeling....because the body will natuarlly heal itself. She should be fine just sore to eat like apples or anything in the front of her mouth until it does tighen up...but yes i think i would still just run her up to the dentist and let them xray her mouth. They will also be able to see how far up her perm tooth is.....good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Charissa, Cooper fell on some bleachers and knocked his top two teeth completely up into his gums. I rushed him to the dentist and he said give it a week, they'll come down. They did! Even though his lip was completely split and his gums a nice dark purple for a few weeks they came right down. I would call the dentist but I bet it will tighten up. :) Cammie

Musicmamaof9 said...

More than likely her teeth will tighten up and she won't have any other problems. If by chance her teeth turn dark gray/black, that means the roots/nerves have died, but even if that happens, I'm pretty sure they can still try to save them by doing root canals.

Our 17 yr old son had his two top teeth totally ripped out almost 3 yrs ago. Our former pastor (who was also a physician's assistant) rushed over to our house, reinsterted the teeth, prayed for them to stay in, and they did! The oral surgeon and the orthodontist both agreed that it was a miracle, because once teeth have been totally knocked out, they don't *ever* stay in, even though parents always want to try. The oral surgeon recommended the immediate placement of braces to help stabilize the teeth, and he said later on they might turn gray/black, but thankfully they're still pearly white and totally stable.

{{Hugs}} & prayers for your dd,
Patrice

Anonymous said...

My daughter also did this jumping around in our camper. Her tooth got pushed back but it wasn't super loose. It seemed fine, so I never took her to the dentist, but then 2 weeks later, it turned gray. Then we went to the dentist and she said there's really nothing they could do, teeth will bruise like out skin and that's the gray color. She said it may turn back to white, which it did and it may fall out early which it hasn't and to look for an absess (a lump above the tooth) which means there may be an infection, which also hasn't happened. Now, 3 years later (she's 7) that tooth is slightly yellower than the others and loose just like the front one next too it. Soon she'll have that cute no-front teeth grin:) Wendy

Anonymous said...

I am sorry you had the scare. We have been through that with my oldest when she was 5 and I wouldn't have taken her in either. We have been there and done that. The sent us ASAP to the dentist who took X-rays and said see the dentist in another 6 months. We pushed the tooth back in place and put ice on it. It stayed in for 6 more months and then came out normally.

Kayla

Tim Rovenstine said...

Sounds like you need to bring Hope to MEXICO, I have a friend who is a kids dentist, he will look at it for free.

junglemama said...

Don't worry Charissa. This isn't her permanent tooth so if she looses it, it is not a big deal. My son hit both of his top front teeth when he was four. They were knocked loose. After a while they tightened back up, but turned brown because they died. Still not a big deal according to the dentist and they finally fell out when he was almost six. No issues and now he is 11. Also, most of my kids have fallen off of a bunkbed at least once, maybe twice. :)

Michelle said...

hope she is better today

Kristi said...

Hi,
Timothy did this too. First he knocked both his teeth loose and up into his gums a little by falling off a box and hitting a desk. They turned gray after a few weeks and he had 2 root canals and kept them for about a year - then he knocked both out when he ran into his cousin's head! It seems everyone has a kid who has knocked teeth out or loose. You should go to the dentist soon and they can decide if she needs a root canal or if everything is fine. I don't think ice or any other thing would really help it at this point. So no worries!

Unknown said...

I don't know if you're still reading these comments, but Victoria bumped her front tooth, too (with Antoine, running at an oil change place :) ). Anyway, our dentist looked at it at church, said 'Oh, it'll be fine. Nothin' to do.' It tightened back up, then much later turned a little grayish. Then, once she was about a year away from losing that tooth, it started moving backwards sort of, it looked like it was pushed in. Anyway, I never wanted her to mess with it because I didn't want her to have to wait longer to get the permanent tooth (which is what seems to happen when the baby tooth comes out prematurely). She lost it at 6 1/2 and has a normal permanent tooth now (started at 2, now she is 7 1/2). Too much info?