Whoever said having 5 kids is no different from having 3 or 4 LIED. It has been busy around here!! For one, we are still on Ukraine time, and about 5pm we are ready to go down for the night. Ava has been a great sport with all the attention she is getting. Talk about over-stimulation! The kids all want to hold her, feed her the bottle, help me dress her, make her smile. They have bragged to the neighbor kids about how "stretchy" she is, and the cool things she can do with her tongue. All day I hear, "Isn't she cute", and "I can't believe she is finally here." One asked, "Can I feed her bologna?" Uh...NO!!!
We have noticed she grinds her teeth all of a sudden. We don't remember her doing it at the orphanage. I think she is communicating: "Who are you and where have you taken me???!!" Other than the teeth grinding, she seems to be adjusting beautifully. We have gotten some big laughs and giggles out of her, mostly when she is well rested and there is not too much going on. We are trying to keep everything as familiar and low-key as possible, but how in the world do you do that in a new family in a foreign country with 5 excited kids in the house speaking an unfamiliar language....very loudly!?
We took her to the doctor for an examination today. Somehow we left all her birth history, medical history, etc in the Embassy in Ukraine I guess? It was nowhere to be found. I managed to fill out most of it based on what I remember from the interview with the orphanage director. I think they should have special forms for adopted children. How sad is it to write to write in big letters over 3/4 of the page "unknown----child is adopted".
The doctor really had difficulty detecting any kind of heart murmur at all. He really thinks that whatever heart defect she had has closed on its own, but we scheduled an echocardiogram just in case.(So much for all those years of understimulation to preven a heart attack!) She was below the bottom of the chart on her height and weight percentile for average kids, but when they charted her on a special chart specific for Down Syndrome, she moved up to the bottom 5 percentile...Hey, thats better than zero! He recommended we see a developtmental specialist, dentist, eye doctor, cardiologist, and physical and speech therapy (feeding specialist). That is a lot to process all at once, so we will just take one thing at a time, making our priority nurturing and family bonding, just as we would a newborn who just joined our family. Thanks to my online friends for their good advice.
We had a very nice day. Our 15 year old washing machine died today. I will not mention names (because I know they would not want me to), but SOMEBODY BOUGHT US A BRAND NEW WASHING MACHINE!!!! Every washing machine we have had up until now has been bought used, and what a treat it was to do my laundry last night in a brand new one.
Then while the washing machine was being installed, we received a phone call from my John's parents, who live in New Mexico. They said their GPS must be malfunctioning because it said they were at our address, could we please check it out to see what the problem is? We walked outside and surprise, there they were, bearing gifts for our kids...all FIVE kids. What a wonderful surprise. Also in their stash of gifts was a DVD made by my brother-in-law, who took photos from our blog and put together the most awesome slideshow set to music for us.(If I can figure out how to get it from disk to computer, I will put it on here). It was such a meaningful gift. And yesterday a man from the Tulsa World came to our house, they said a friend of ours set up an interview to share our adoption story. It will come out in the Saturday paper.
Would you believe I have not taken one photo of all of us together? Or even of just the kids together. I do not know what has come over me. You all know how picture crazy I am...and now not one single photo to go along with this post. So sorry. Check back soon. I need to charge my camera battery, if I can find the charger in the bags we haven't unpacked yet.
Thursday, February 07, 2008
I have 5 kids!!!!
Posted by liesel at 10:30 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
:) you sound good. Welcome home.
I watched the video on your husband's blog and just cried and cried. What a beautiful story! I am so glad the everyone is adjusting well. I am so happy for you and your family and especially little Ava.
Glad to hear that you are all doing good. The video was GREAT! Yes bonding is the biggest step right now. Can't wait to see the pictures. Bless you all.
So glad you guys are home safe. What a wonderful family you have. John's parent's showing up and surprising you made me cry. That's beautiful. Congratulations on your new addition. Oh yeah, and I almost forgot to mention. It is very common for children with DS to grind their teeth (Ethan does it often. It could be a couple of things: sensory or stimulation-the kids seem to need jaw stimulation. Something to chew on with the back teeth really helps. Chew tubes work wonders. I think talktools.com sells chew tubes. For Ethan, it can also mean an ear infection or fluid on the ears, but if she was just given a once over by the doctor, she probably doesn't have that. Anyway, just a couple of ideas. Thank you for sharing your journey with all of us.
Martha Spahr
I told you, your life would become a little sweeter!:) I am so happy for you and all 5 of your children!!:) God is Good!
Amy
hmmm...no heart issue....Praise God! Aaron's closed on its own as well. She was too pink to have some sort of weak heart. Is she going to Little Lighthouse? Keep blogging, I know you are busy, but we gotta know!!!! Yeah baby, article in the Tulsa World!!! The current issue of Christianity Today has a awesome article about a chinese boy adopted by a photojournalist. He has Treacher Collins Syndrome....
Lisa Adams
I'm cracking up over the bologna thing! I'm so happy for you guys!!
Charissa, you are doing all the right things! Your a fantastic mother. I can't wait to read more when things have settled down. God Bless.
That is so awesome that things are going so good! Do they know how long it will take for her to understand English? Do you still talk to her in her language? I can't wait to see the family picture!!!
Charissa, you know...the flight may have made her ears feel full. She may need them to pop. yawn, see if she'll copy you? LOL
Welcome home sweet Ava! Charissa, she is so beautiful. Addisyn is dying to come meet her and go to the zoo with her and the rest of the kids:) I told her we need to give you all a few more days to get back in the swing of things and then we can walk over and meet her! God has truly blessed your family!
You are wise to take one thing at a time and just spend lots of time loving on your kids.
Joy
Wow, 5th percentile is not bad at all for all she has been thru. My daughter Mercede didnt' even come near the 5th percentile on the DS chart at that age . I think your daughter really reminds me of my Mercede because Mercede had such poor tone, and VERY poor feeding skills because of it (course now she could eat a hog, skin and all, lol) I imagine that if Mercede had been in an orphanage there, that she also would not be sitting either. It took alot of work to get Mercede to do the physical things. and it still does, lol. Unless it is dancing. She took 8 years of dance lessons and that is the one area she loved.
So, yes you have alot of work cut out for you but it is all going to be worth it. But also, PLEASE don't over do it. So many of us as parents of children with special needs feel that we have to push, push, push. But it is so important to remember the number one thing is to love and enjoy. So if you feel overwhelmed, sit back and relax and enjoy your new trip. And you were lied to about a 5th child not being anymore work. lol Every child you add makes more. My dh keeps thinking about another child and I just laugh at him.
And the pictures on your other blog today are adorable as always. I love how her legs are sticking over the boucey seat and yes that would be perfect to send over there. That was the best gift we ever recieved for Mercede. My other girls didn't use one much but Mercede sat in hers for a couple of years.
Post a Comment