CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 25, 2008

Sitting....Sort of?


I realize I'm going a little video crazy here, but I couldn't help myself. Ava really seems to WANT to do things. She seems to be enjoying being given the opportunity to try. I just can't imagine that anyone had ever tried to "sit her up" before now, and she certainly can't get in that position on her own. We found out that she CAN roll over, but she only does it while she sleeps. Very strange. The PTs suggested that her brain possibly needs to be trained to voluntarily move the muscles she wants to move, and in her sleep it comes more naturally because she doesn't have to think about it.

Her eye appointment went well, although she was not cooperative in the least bit. She will need to wear glasses for awhile to correct her strabismus (also the same as lazy eye, I think). Both eyes are affected, the left more than the right. Individually she has good vision in each eye, but she doesn't know how to focus using them together. Sounds frustrating to me! I'm sure I will have great fun trying to keep glasses on this little girl who wants nothing near her face, but I'm hoping the glasses will open a whole new world to her. It will be interesting to see. Can't wait....

12 comments:

WheresMyAngels said...

She is going to be sitting soon!

Good luck with the glasses! I'm not going to share my horror stories about that!! ha ha

Anonymous said...

Hi! I found your blog on RR and have enjoyed following your journey!! My daughter (without DS) was 3 when she got glasses and we used the kind with "cables". That is the kind that the temples bend around the ear. Of course there was the adjustment phase of keeping them on, but the cables definitely made them stay up on her nose without sliding down (once they were adjusted properly). I had a hard time finding a good selection with the cable, but I think they were worth it:) Thanks for all of the videos and pictures! I have a 3 year old son with DS and would love to adopt, but still working on my hubby!
Wendy

Arizona mom to eight said...

Look at her sitting, how wonderful for her!! Meghan and Kara both have strabismus, meghan had surgery, Kara needs to see the opthamologist. The appointments never end, do they. I am so proud of Ava, she is strong and determined!!

Kris
RR

amyl4 said...

Caleb watched this video and said "Baby, again!" The second time he watched it, he smiled and said "Baby" and then blew her a kiss! She has even stole Caleb's heart!
Amy

Arizona mom to eight said...

I just had to add, when Meghan saw Ava sit she said yeah and asked me to give her a high 5, so Meghan is also proud of Ava. :o)

Christina said...

She is doing so great. Imagine just a few weeks ago and she probably, like you said, never had that oppurtunity...now with love, patience and persistance look at the huge differences you are seeing in just a short time. God bless you. My Kallie got glasses, but when she was 7. It was a good experience for her but I am sure cause she is older it was easier.

Janell & Kenny said...

yes you must keep the videos coming we look forward to watching everyone of them!!!

Dave said...

Wow! What progress! I'm so thrilled.
Gina

junglemama said...

Keep the videos coming Charissa! I love them! Your blog is my absolute favorite!

Karen said...

Yeah for Ava!!! And yeah for all the little therapist working with her!
I agree - definitely keep the videos coming! Anytime, my little Annie, (3 yrs. with Ds,) sits down at my computer she always asks for "AVA,AVA!" she will hit the replay button over and over!

Karen S. RR

Tilly Cat & Pip-Squeak said...

She is doing so well!!! (I can't believe how floppy she is, that poor baby... She really DID spend her life in a crib, didn't she?) BUT she is TRYING and DOING IT! I can't blame you for being excited! Good luck with the glasses, and PLEASE, the more videos the better! I'm getting my Ava fix :)

Anna

Chelley said...

Go Ava
Go Ava
Go Ava!!

You rock gal!