First I want to share a scripture that keeps going through my head regarding Ava and how I believe she will impact her world. I Cor 1:27-28 But God chose the simple things(foolish in the eyes of the world) to shame the "wise": God chose the weak things of the earth to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things and the things that are not-to nullify the things that are.....and v. 31 Let him who boasts, boast in the Lord.
Ps. 105:2 Sing to him, sing praises to him; tell of all his wonderful acts.
We got home around 7pm, more like 3 a.m. for John, Ava and I. Can you tell by the photos how exhausted we all are? As my grandma Rovenstine would say, "International adoption ain't for sissies!"
I was surprised to find several needed items including clothes already here at home waiting for us (I expected 10 days between the 2 trips to round up what I needed). Thanks to my Mom, my sister and Melanie from our church's adoption ministry for rounding things up. Melanie even had dinner waiting for us! What a welcome.
We decided to have a family sleepover, since everyone of course wanted to sleep with Ava. Don't know if it is the time change, the adrenaline high, or the fact that I was squished somewhere in between 8 elbows and 8 legs kicking the blankets off, but I decided after two hours that was all I could take, and I got up to blog instead. Ava is content in her little crib in our room (also thanks to Melanie-HA), sleeping peacefully, and we are all happy she is finally home.
We got home around 7pm, more like 3 a.m. for John, Ava and I. Can you tell by the photos how exhausted we all are? As my grandma Rovenstine would say, "International adoption ain't for sissies!"
I was surprised to find several needed items including clothes already here at home waiting for us (I expected 10 days between the 2 trips to round up what I needed). Thanks to my Mom, my sister and Melanie from our church's adoption ministry for rounding things up. Melanie even had dinner waiting for us! What a welcome.
We decided to have a family sleepover, since everyone of course wanted to sleep with Ava. Don't know if it is the time change, the adrenaline high, or the fact that I was squished somewhere in between 8 elbows and 8 legs kicking the blankets off, but I decided after two hours that was all I could take, and I got up to blog instead. Ava is content in her little crib in our room (also thanks to Melanie-HA), sleeping peacefully, and we are all happy she is finally home.
Now.....the pictures we have all been waiting for. I am happy to report to you the response of the clan to their newest family member.
Jude said, "Mom, she is so cute!" Then he pointed to the empty seat next to him in the Suburban and said, "But look, there is room for one more orphan. You should have brought home two..... I wish orphans only cost one dollar." (Evidently he thinks all there is to it is the cost!) HA
3 year old cousin Sebastian said, "Aunt Charissa, can I carry her upstairs?"
Liesel said, "I keep thinking it is just a dream and tomorrow I will wake up and she won't be here anymore."
Hope said, "Can I hold her forever? Can she stay with us forever or do we have to take her back to the orphan-eggs?" and "I missed you Mommy and I missed Ava too. I love her."
I told her Ava shows love by licking, and then Hope started licking Ava's head!
Oma gets a turn too....
Simeon said, "Can I take her to school tomorrow to show my class and my teacher?"
7 yr. old cousin Evi said, "Aunt Charissa can she come to my play next Friday so my class can see her?" Last night I realized Evi and I have a lot in common. She was crying, and she said, "I'm so happy I can't stop crying. Do you ever feel that way Aunt Charissa?" Lately, all the time, yes.
27 comments:
hope that you will be able to get some much needed sleep very soon! all those pics just brings joyful tears to my eyes....
oh I hope that you dont mind but I added your blog to mine!
Charissa, this is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing what your children said, they are just the most precious children! I'm crying also Happy Tears for Everyone!!!
Amy
Beautiful pictures!!
Welcome Home Ava!!!!!
Welcome home!! Yay!!
Christina
RR Group
We are complete and Oma and Opa are glad to have been a part of this exciting meaningful rollercoster ride! All glory to God Who is the Only One who could have pulled this off! She truly is beautiful,in spite of being frail and tiny and weak. But isn't this the way God finds each of us? Then He restores and cleans us up and we are made new. And we have a new family, just like Ava!!!
the pic of her all snuggled in her blanky, in their arms all pink and beautiful...what a rush. What a beautiful, wonderful rush. Thanks for letting us peek. Welcome home, baby.
Apparently I have a lot in common with you and Evi too because now I'm crying again reading this post (I started at the bottom and went up)! Beautiful. The picture of your DH hugging your son (at the airport?) is beautiful. You have a wonderful family!
Thank you for the pictures!!! We are rejoicing and praising Jesus for all he is doing for your family!!!
Karen S. RR
I made it through without crying until I saw the photo of your husband hugging your son...I remember all too well those tears after a long trip away from the other children. What a great picture.
Soooooo very happy you're home and have already been able to see the positive way Americans look at our special children.
Love you!! Jill
Urbans,
I traveled to Ukraine last year to adopt two teens so I like to read all the blogs about other kids being adopted.
Your blog touched me deeply, you are doing an amazing thing and I am sure this beautiful child will
bring your whole family much happiness.
Your story has me thinking about going back.......
Good luck Pat
Here I am, at work, looking at the most anticipated photos of the family I hold very dear...each of you and your participation in this awesome journey... and ruining my make-up with tears streaming down my face. Thank you, Jesus, for bringing Ava to a dear home, to learn about YOU. The photos are so endearing, each one of them, all the way through! The poem your friend wrote about Ava touched me deeply, as I know it did you as well.
Love you all,
Aunt Sharon
What a wonderful day! How special.
Crying tears of joy, I could not be more happy for you! Welcome home and welcome to the fantastic world of having a child with Down syndrome. You will be amazed everyday at how blessed you feel. Congratulations!!!!
What a beautiful homecoming! Congrats to your family.
Jennifer
mom to a 5-year-old Ukie kiddo
http://dovefamily07.blogspot.com
Absolutely precious. What sweet pictures and comments.
Joy
I am crying tears of joy for you also. This is just so beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing your journey (literal and figurative.) I love the verses you referenced. They are so perfect!
You will continue to be in our prayers as everyone adjusts to your wonderful new routine.
:)
Justine
I, too, and crying, and I don't even know you!
Bless your precious family. God bless you all, a hundred-times over.
Urban Family,
We do not know each other, but your blog was referenced by another blog posted by a local family of ours that you met in Chicago...the Sickafoose's. Your story touched a very special place in me, as my brother and his family recently hosted a little girl from the Ukraine that they are now proceeding an adoption with. Because we also are an adoptive family, there are many areas we now can connect on a new level with them. However, because we went through a different country we don't know much about Ukraine or its process. I am so greatful for your transparency in blogging; it paints a realistic perspective. I feel there are many useful bits of information you shared that may prove helpful to them. I praise God for how He intricately wove this connection together. I think of you often throughout my day and pray that all is well as I look forward to your posts. You seem to have an amazing family, and what an added blessing has just entered all of your lives! God bless you! May he contiue to guide you as you settle in, and face the days ahead. Welcome Home!!!
Brooke, Indiana
Great to see you at "HOME" with Ava.
What great pictures, so glad you are all home. Ava looks very worn out, poor thing. Loved all your captions! Can't wait to hear your following updates and pictures!
Welcome home little Ava. This is the beginning of a whole new life for you where you shall want for nothing, especially arms eager to hold you and love you. Blessings on your new family. I hope we get to meet you soon.
Rachel
Welcome Ava. Your sweet homecoming pictures made us cry especially the one of your daddy hugging your brother!! Oh dear, I'm doing it again. What a wonderful, special family you have. Can't wait to meet you...
The Piche's
Yay !! I'm soo glad your finally home ! We'll be there soon to visit ! My parents said that Denis found a family ?? That is soo great ! Do you know anymore information on that ?
-Heather
Look, she has changed from abandoned to CHERISHED right before our eyes! The change is visible even from here.
Dolores.
Hi there,
I stumbled across your blog, and skimmed through the photos (I have bookmarked it to come back to read properly later). I don't know your 'story'(yet!) but blubbed through a wall of tears seeing your gorgeous children welcome home their sister. Beautiful, just beautiful - such love! I will be back to read - but just wanted to comment on how touching your photos are. Such lovely pics!
Post a Comment