CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 18, 2008

Ukrainian Adoptions-Always a Surprise


A few days before we left for Ukraine, our facilitator told us something like this: "The only thing you can expect from a Ukrainian adoption is that it WILL NOT happen as you expect. There WILL be surprises, snags, glitches. The unexpected WILL happen." He said that if we can go into in knowing this then we should have a fairly pleasant experience.

We kept waiting to see what our "surprise" would be. Instead our adoption took half the time we expected. The two-trip process turned out to be a one-trip process. We came home with our first referral....the first trip!!! Everything went smoothly. We didn't lose our passports, we didn't get sick, we didn't get mugged, we didn't get lost, we didn't get frostbite. We had hot water, electricity, internet. SDA appointment went great. Court appointment went great. We loved our facilitators. No glitches, no snags, no surprises.

That is, until last week. Our "surprise" came a week after we got home. Apparently we inadvertently came home from Ukraine with TWO children...One is due in October! It was a big shocker to both of us!!! When I took the test, I was so confident it was negative that I forgot about it and about an hour later as I was walking by with piles of laundry, I saw it laying there....with two pink lines!! (I took a second one just to be sure).

While at first I wanted to cry (OK, I did cry)...John reminded me that God does not give us more than we can handle, and children are a blessing from the Lord, even the ones who come when you don't plan or expect them. The first couple of days the kids kept asking why is Mommy crying and why is Daddy laughing? So we told them yesterday. Their reactions were pretty much what we expected. Simeon's eyes got real big and then a big grin spread across his face. Hope said, "Nuh-uh mommy, you do not have a baby in your tummy." Jude jumped up and down and ran over and gave my belly a big hug and said, "Is it a boy or a girl?" Ava just stuck out her tongue and wiggled her fingers. :) And Liesel got really quiet. Sensing something wasn't quite right, I took her on my lap later and asked her how she felt about the new baby. She said, "Well, Mom. I'm happy about it. But what about Ava? She is so cute. Her face is....so cute." I think this translated: "But Mom, will you still love Ava when the new baby comes?"

Tonight, while I knew Liesel was watching me, I went over to Ava, took her cheeks in my hands, and I said, "Ava, guess what? You aren't going to be the baby for long. You are going to be the big sister now too. But don't worry. When the baby comes, I will still think you are the sweetest little Ava in the world, and I will love you just as much as I do right now." Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a big grin on Liesel's face. What a sweetheart. She just wanted to make sure Ava would not be forgotten.

Of course I question the timing in all this. Seems pretty crazy to me, insane really. However, a friend suggested how helpful it will be for Ava to have somebody to mimic, to follow. It will be like having twins, but babies with Down Syndrome really thrive off of having someone similar to their developmental age to model after. Maybe a younger sibling is just what Ava needed to really reach her full potential. Maybe it was a birth control failure, or a miscalculation, or maybe.....Just maybe the Lord planned it out exactly like this for that very reason. I'd like to think of it as the latter.

So now our "After" photo is back to being our "Before" photo. HA. I am going to have 6 kids!!! My cup runneth over....

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't be happier. You were meant to have lots of kids. What a blessed surprise! Wonderful, surprising, happy news.

Chelley said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!


just a question have you taken another test to confirm? The only reason I am asking is from personl experiance... I have had a lot of losses and pregs and a few times the test came up positive after an hour.. Getting my hopes up I took another one but it didnt when I asked the dotor about this they said there is an eveapration line and it can sometimes come up after 30 mins even if you are not preg!!!

I know how heartbroken I was to find this out....


I really really hope and pray that you are preg and cant wait to learn more!!!

really big hugz!

liesel said...

Oh, yes, I did take a second. It was positive too. :) I guess that would be pretty funny if I was freaking out over nothing.

Chelley said...

oh YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!!

Sorry! I hope I didnt want to worry you... Just know that I know how heart braking it is!!!

I am so very excited for you all! And I cant wait to learn more!!

michelle said...

Well join the club. When do you pick up the 12 passenger van? We love ours. Have you seen Charlotte lately it is enough to make you want 10 more. Congrats!

michelle

Me said...

Wow..how exciting! Congratulations!

Christina said...

How exciting! Congrats to all of you!

Terra said...

Congratulations!! You are an incredible mother!! Marlita said you wouldn't care if I came over for a visit to meet Ava. I will call you this week one day to see when is good for you! What a blessing for you and your family!!

Anonymous said...

Oma here couldn't be more excited for you all as well as Opa!!This will be 17 grands for us and we know that children are a reward from the Lord! You truly are rewarded!! We pray God's blessing and health and strength on each of you, and new ideas and wisdom for John as he works so hard to keep the bases covered!

Rita Andrews said...

Charissa

I am so very happy for all of you. WE too have 6 awesome kids...and YES each one of them bring their strengths and weaknesses to the family but are ALL GODS PRECIOUS DELIVERY at just the PERFECT time.

Know we all are praying for you.

Michelle said...

hehehehe....you already KNOW Im still laughing my devilish laugh...Im with JOHN...too funny! Betcha FORTY bucks its a boy! :P

junglemama said...

What a blessing Charissa! You and John will handle all that God hands you. I love your attitude and I know that your feeling of being overwhelmed will turn to happiness in no time. Just think, a new life is growing inside you! I love how much the kids already think of Ava as to not want her to be forgotten. That is precious!

Anonymous said...

We will be watching again as your family grows. How cool we will be aunts again in a few months...

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news, Charissa. You are so blessed. :)
Marla

WheresMyAngels said...

NOW, I see how I missed this, I read your last blog first!

WOW


Congratulations!!

I know you are shocked but what wondeful news!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you! You are a wonderful mom, and will do a fabulous job with 6 neat kiddos!

:)
Justine

Dalene said...

I know a really good used car dealer.

Unknown said...

Now I found what I first didn't see, this post. I have tears in my eyes and I am really happy for you and the family! That sweet Liesel. And I am so happy for Ava, too. I have to say this-you guys are amazing!

Tami said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! What a blessing! :)

Valerie said...

I guess Jude got his wish after all!! The Lord certainly does have a sense of humor (and obviously knows that you can handle it)! What an incredible, wonderful surprise! I have been smiling about it ever since I first heard the news! Congratulations Charissa! I am so excited for you!

Sandi said...

Praise God. You are blessed. Congratulations.

I read your blog often and rarely have time to comment but I feel the need to today because of the comment you wrote about twins. We have twins, one with Ds and one who is typical. I cannot tell you how strongly we feel that God intended our son with developmental delays to have a pal to model things.

Congratulations again on your next addition to your BEAUTIFUL family. Ava is a dear one, we love looking at your blog.

shay said...

Congratulations!
I'm a tiny bit jealous actually. How wonderful.

You are so wonderfully incredibly blessed!