CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, February 16, 2008

My Little LambChop

Poor little Ava. She and I have both shed many tears over her feedings! She gets excited to see her bottle, but as soon as we put the nipple in her mouth she gets upset, and cries through most of her feedings. We have experimented with different bottles, different nipples, temperatures, consistencies, flavors (salty, sweet, bland), hole sizes, and nothing seems to have made a difference. Today when I posted a question to my favorite yahoo adoption group, someone suggested that maybe Ava was used to a certain kind of nipple in Ukraine. Thankfully, John happened to take a photo of her bottles one day at the orphanage after she had quickly guzzled them down, and we were able to get a closer look at the nipple. It is much longer than any I've seen here and I also remember it being real elastic. I am kicking myself for not asking the orphanage for some, or at least finding out where we could buy some.



After spending the day googling (that can be dangerous), calling, going to pet supply stores, medical supply stores, agricultural supply stores,  the Baby Super Center, even the hospital, we found NOTHING remotely close to this. But I came home tonight to find in my inbox, so many fellow moms  who have joined my quest to find this nipple. The closest thing we have found is a lamb feeder nipple (grey one on the left). Is it possible the Eastern European orphanages are using livestock feeders to feed the children?! Or maybe they just manufacture them differently over there. Either way, we have to get some of these. Any farmers reading this blog who want to donate some nipples to a good cause?


We did find a temporary solution, (thanks Michelle), a Haberman nipple. Apparently these are used for infants with a weak suck and for children with cleft palate, I think? It is longer, and did seem to make a difference tonight when we used it. Still not quite what my Little LambChop loves, but it will have to do for now. :)


13 comments:

WheresMyAngels said...

I wonder if an infa-feeder would help you at all. The child doesn't really suck food out of it, you push it into the mouth but it does come with a nipple and a spout. Mercede had very poor tone and could not suck from a bottle well so I used to mix formula with cereal and use an infa-feeder to give it to her. I'll look to see if I can find a link online.

Feeding is going to be a huge challenge and I hope there is a good clinic in your area that specializes in it.

big hugs and sorry it is so fustrating for you both :(

WheresMyAngels said...

Ok here is a link, I know I have recently seen them at our WalMart.

http://www.amothersdreams.com/pd_sassy_baby_food_nurser_infa_feeder3.cfm

WheresMyAngels said...

Grrrr, it wouldn't let me put the whole link in. So try a search for

Sassy Baby Food Nurser Infa feeder

Stephanie said...

Do you have a Tractor Supply store near you? They carry the lamb feeders....

shay said...

I don't have any advice for you but I wanted to leave a note.

Congratulations on your precious baby girl!
I have tears in my eyes as I read her story and yours.
We would love to adopt some day and I have 4 bio kids too. What made you decide now was the time? I'd love to read a post on that:)

Bless you on your journey!

Whitney said...

Charissa, I don't know if this will help, but I do know what it is like when you are desperate... all suggestions are welcome. There is a brand of bottles at Target that has a longer nipple. I think the brand is called Circo. We have a ton of these bottles at my house, but we are out of town- otherwise I would run them over to you. We will be home on Monday. Hopefully, you will have this issue taken care of before then, but I will bring them over just in case. Anyway, try checking at Target.

Michelle said...

Im tickled for you. I did order a lamb feeder for LambChop, should be there in a few days. If it works, they are REALLY cheap. Isnt it crazy to think they might be using livestock supplies to feed the kids over there? It does make a very weird kind of sense though, doesnt it? At least the haberman will ease her hunger till you can get ahold of something that really works. Hug her for me, willya?

Anonymous said...

Did you try making a big hole in the nipple? In the picture it looks like a wider hole than we're used to. Maybe she's just frustrated it's taking so long? -JB

Anonymous said...

After looking at the pictures here is another thought. . .Our story is wiht our now 7 month old. When she was born I used the playtex LATEX nipples. Then when it was time to go to the next "stage" of nipple they are only made them in SILICON. She wanted nothing to do with them. I think they are harder to suck on. So, we had to search for a nipple that had a larger hole but that was still the latex material. Then she was all happy again.

Anonymous said...

Hi, we do not know one another but I have been reading your blog since you began your journey. I want to include a web site I came across looking for these nipples for you:-) I was born in Europe and I know we do things different. So here is a web site and I believe a bottle that is going to work for you. Best of luck and God Bless.
http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/Baby-bottle/p/bg/1002576967.htm
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm another lurker who's been following/admiring your journey. I actually brought home one of these bottles from my daughter's orphanage as a keepsake. If you'd like, I can send it to you for Ava to use. (My daughter never actually used it, but I'm sure you'll want to do a heavy duty disinfecting anyway.) Feel free to email me at ALT6614@aol.com if you're interested.
Best,
Marla

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just came across your blog and maybe I can help. I'm originally from Russia, so I'm well familiar with those "soviet-style" nipples. Here's a better picture if you ever need one: http://plast-mo.ru/dummy35.html

Those nipples require almost no sucking; the milk just pours out of them. Cutting a bigger hole might do the trick, as some of the commenters above have suggested.

Good luck!!

junglemama said...

I hope the feedings get better. I can imagine how frustrating it must be for both of you.