CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Surprise, today is NOT Ava's birthday


Meredith offered to take a photo of the 3 of us (Oh, yeah, we haven't done that yet). So thanks, Meredith.


Viktor, Indiana Jones, our facilitator. (I'm not sure how he felt about being licked on the face).

We thought all along that Ava's birthday was February 2nd. A couple of people remembered that and acknowledged. Thank you for remembering! The better news, though, is we get to celebrate her bithday with her brothers and sisters, and aunts and uncles, cousins, and hopefully some grandparents too, (if they don't go back home too soon). Her actual birthday is Feb 20th. In Ukraine they say last names before first names, and when they write dates, they write day, then month, then year. So her birthday in Ukrainian looks like: 20-02-2004. I think that is the reason for the mix-up. So Simeon, you should be glad that Ava's birthday is only 3 days after yours! And maybe we can celebrate together.

I got to sleep with a little angel on the train last night. Boy, is she a sweetheart! Everything happened so fast yesterday, we didn't really have a chance to get detailed instructions from the caretakers on her routine, little quirks, etc. As soon as we got in the taxi with this child I barely know sitting on my lap, I said to myself, "NOW WHAT??!!!"

I tried to get her to go to sleep last night on the train, and all the tricks I've used on my other kids DO NOT work for my little Ava-girl! Liesel likes her back scratched, so I tried that. Ava misread it as tickling, and giggled instead of going to sleep. Jude always liked to have his ears rubbed, but Ava doesn't want anything near her ears! Simeon liked me to stroke his eyebrows and his eyelids. But even Ava's eyebrows and eyelids are ticklish. So that didn't work. Hope likes me to lay with her and tell her stories. But Ava found my big head in her face absolutely hysterical, and she giggled and giggled instead of going to sleep.

We had the privilege of seeing Mike and Meredith again, as well as Joy and Kevin here in Kiev. They all came over to our apartment and we got to show off Ava as well as catch up on each others' adventures. Both couples are also adopting children with Down Syndrome as well, and in a country where people think we are crazy, it was nice to be in familiar company.

12 comments:

Rita Andrews said...

oh Charissa
I am so so excited for you and John and your PRECIOUS Ava!!! Last night as we prayed for your family, we brought your whole family to the foot of the cross...thanking our Lord for the miracle of your family...and to bring you home to all your children quickly! Iam so thrilled to be a part of your RR family and to say how thrilled I am that you will now know the JOYS of parenting a lovely child with DS.

Rita
Mom to 6 awesome Kids..3 with DS

Karen said...

So Charissa, how did you finally get Ava to sleep?:):):)

Karen S. RR

Anonymous said...

Love the first pic of her with mom and dad. Glad that everything is going great.

The Spicer Family said...

What a precious first family photo!!! You look so happy, Charissa! I can't believe you get to celebrate her birthday at home!!!! That is wonderful news and what a wonderful party that will be...her first taste of her very own birthday cake! Have you figured out what kind of cake you'll create for her? A dog, perhaps a ladybug...she looks like a little Ava-bug to me. ;-) You know I'll want to see pictures, right? So I can laugh when my children's cakes don't look so hot. LOL

Have fun in Kyiv!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you guys. It was wonderful to meet you and pray together. Wow!
Joy

The Polkadot Platypus said...

I'm cracking up about your comments of trying to get her to sleep. Too funny! She sounds like she has quite the little personality! :) I'm so happy you got to meet up with the other RR families ... I'm sure that was very welcomed! :)

Bethany (who is posting from her business account because she forgot to sign in to her personal account)

junglemama said...

So great to hear Charissa! Ava is such a precious angel. Is she going to be 5? Did these other couples get their 10 days waived?

Anonymous said...

Love the picture of all of you together. Hallelujah and Praise the Lord for how this has all turned out. I am so eager each day to hear what you are doing and see pictures. I hope when you get home you will continue to post pictures everyday! We all love it!!! You know......what is it? in like 27 days your form a habit -so seeing pictures of Ava's progress is becoming habit-forming for us.

Tim Rovenstine said...

Hasten thy pace, and make thy steps quick in your journey. Thou hast other offspring in the frontier of Oklahoma who have discovered a gene and desire to shop at Drysdales Western Outfitters.

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited that you guys have Ava !! Everyday in my Bible class we prayed that you guys would get to bring her home early ! && when I told everyone on Friday that you were able to they were all excited for you ! I love you guys, and I can't wait to see my new cousin !!
-Heather

Anonymous said...

Hi Charissa,
I don't know if you remember me, but I was roommates with Monica and Saidat in Tulsa for a year. Anyway, she forwaded me the info on your blog and I read it yesterday and it blessed my socks off. I don't know if Monica has shared with you that our 2nd child (Lily) was born with Down syndrome. She had open heart surgery at alomost 7 months of age. She will be 7 years old in May (which I can hardly believe). I wanted to be sure to congratulate you on your beautiful new daughter. She has the most beautiful eyes and lips. Lily is really limber also. She somtimes sleeps bent over at the hips, usually when she is really wore out. We have met the most wonderful people in this world because of having Lily. Besides our wonderful support group of friends from our local Down Syndrome Association we have also been blessed to meet and hang out with Chris Burke (Corky from "Life Goes On"). We always meet instant friends wherever we go as many peoples lives have been touched by a family member or a friend also being born with Down syndrome. I have to tell you that you and your family have become our family's new hero's!!! We pray for wisdom and guidance on your new journey. If you are able to, try to talk with Dr. Bonnie Patterson at The Thomas Center for Down Syndrome at The Children's Hospital in Cincinnati, Ohio. We take Lily to see her once a year and she is on the cutting edge of Down syndrome research. We'd love to talk to you and share stories and laughs. Monica has my info.
Lots of Love and Prayers,
Chris (Thomas) Durig

Anonymous said...

Well Congratulations! Your DSAT Family is looking forward to meeting this little bundle of joy! She is beautiful and has a ton of little playmates just waiting to meet her.

Alana Kennon
DSAT