Someone asked what is sensory brushing? Well I am not even sure whether or not that is the right term for it, but that is what I'm calling it. Sensory brushing is a technique recommended by Ava's occupational therapist. We are supposed to brush her whole body every two hours, very firmly and with deep pressure with a brush that looks like this
OK not really. This is the actual brush, it is very soft and pleasant to touch but I wanted to imagine all my blog readers gasping as they saw that picture. :) Sorry.
I swear this looks an awful lot like the surgery scrub brushes I remember using for sterile techniques when I worked at the hospital. Don't know if is actually is one or just similar. Anyway, the brushing technique Ava absolutely hated at first, but tolerates it more and more every day. It is somehow supposed to help her nerves to tolerate new sensations, I guess? To be honest I thought it was silly at first, but since I finally did it like I was SUPPOSED to yesterday, and we had such great results in her feeding, I am now a firm believer in brushing therapy. (It is used on autistic children as well I believe).
So how did she do on feeding today? Well I'm glad you asked. Ava ate NOT ONE, NOT TWO, BUT THREE VANILLA PUDDING CUPS TODAY!!!! Every last bit, she ate and she loved it!! I'm almost afraid to try anything but vanilla pudding for now, I don't want her freaking out on me again. I need to go buy a giant case of it tomorrow.
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Sensory brushing and more pudding
Posted by liesel at 9:25 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Hi Charissa,
My daughter has autism and we do brushing too. (I think its actually called the Wilbarger Protocol, but brushing is a lot easier!). We saw really great results with her, it really seems to calm and organize their systems. And, I have been told the brushes ARE the same as surgical brushes. The every 2 hours is a pain, but keep it up! She looks so great and now that's she's gotten a taste of that pudding, there's no turning back!
Kelly
YOU are amazing!!! Congrats momma!! (Wasnt that long ago she wouldnt even take the bottle!!!)
Do to a nasty shattered wrist a few weeks ago, I managed to aquire some MAJOR nerve damage. Not only do I have carpel tunnel injury FROM the surgery to repair my arm, but MY SKIN HURTS. Yes, anything touching the skin on my arm HURTS like it's on fire. So a couple weeks ago my hand therapist (which is an OT specially trained for hand and wrist rehabilitation) told me to start brushing those areas. Guess what? It's working! The skin still hurts, but not anywhere near what it did 2 weeks ago! I also rub all kinds of different textures on in..rough, smooth, prickly, hot, cold, etc. all to desensitize it. Really, it works!
My daughter used to only eat vanilla pudding, also. If you make it yourself with whole milk, you will get more protein in her. I don't know what happens to the protein in the premixed pudding, but there isn't much in there.
I was going to suggest "Yo Baby" Yogurt. It is organic and high in protein and made with whole milk. Or for that matter any whole milk yogurt in vanilla. Thought it would have more nutritional value. I understand that you don't want to mess up a good thing!
Keep up the great work!
Blessings, Stefanie
Thanks for sharing. I was horrified at the first brush, that looks torturous, but the second looks much more pleasant. So glad she loves vanilla pudding. I guess your heading to Sam's today.
Thanks for the lesson in sensory brushing...i have to admit u got me at first. I thought there is no way i'd do that either...ur such a jokster!
Now i have another question. What type of degree does a therapist like the one shown in your video swinging w/ ava and helping her on her hands and knees have to have? I told Heather maybe she should go into that field. shoot maybe i would love it. I just imagined how rewarding that job would be!! I will say Charissa you are opening our minds to opportunities we never knew about! Thanks!
Hi Charissa!
You got the gasp out of me! My first thought was - OH THAT POOR BABY! hehe!
By the way - LOVED your video of Ava and her progress! I linked it on my blog- I hope that you don't mind - it is very inspiring and heartwarming to see such progress in such a short amount of time!
Best wishes!
Amy
I'm so happy to hear that the brushing is helping. Next you'll have to try tapioca. :)
This is specifically in response to a question someone asked about what qualifications do we therapists have. I am Rachel, Ava's Occupational Therapist :) The one who talked Charissa into buying a swing and "brushing" Ava. I have a Bachelor of Applied Science in Occupational Therapy - nowadays you have to have a Master's degree - and Mindy - the other therapist who is working on Ava standing up in the video, is a Physical Therapy Assistant. It is a 2 year program. There are also Physical Therapists and Certified Occupational Therapy Assistants. At our clinic, Therapy Works in Tulsa, we are lucky that we get to work together alot and share each other's knowledge base. We have both been so touched by Ava and her amazing progress - the video really shows the dramatic difference in Ava, not only her physical skills, but her "connectedness" to people and the world around her. It has been a blessing to be a part of it all!
Rachel
You scare me with that picture of that first brush. how do we know you aren't using it?? lol Or Brillo pads!! lol
Okay I did gasp when I saw that first brush! We used to use brushing with Ashlyn and when I saw that first brush I thought "oh crap, did they just tell her to get any ol' brush?" LOL, you got me too!!
Post a Comment