Thank you all for your meaningful comments, prayers, and encouraging words. Thank you particularly to those who call themselves "lurkers" who introduced themselves. :) What a special feeling to know prayers were going up from Indiana, Kansas, and even England and Australia for our family (and don't forget the grandparents in Mexico). Wow.
Well as you may have guessed we found out this week that we lost our baby (Ava is fine!). I was 12 weeks along, and having some spotting we were concerned enough to go in and get checked out. My midwife was not able to hear the heartbeat, and my doctor's office was overbooked, so we ended up going to the ER for an ultrasound on Monday. We did not receive good news. While he said he didn't see any signs of life, I just felt like I needed to hang on the the tiny bit of hope that I had, that perhaps they rushed through the ultrasound too quickly, that my dates were off, or maybe even that the doctor was just plain wrong. I wasn't quite ready to believe that we had lost the baby, not just yet, and that is why I asked for your prayers without coming right out and saying why.
After having a second ultrasound today and confirming an "imminent miscarriage" (this time with my doctor present to answer questions) we feel a peace that only God can give. I will be honest.... I have a hundred questions. WHY? Why, when we didn't "plan" it in the first place? Why do we have to get so attached to and excited about this little person that we do not know yet but still love with all of our hearts, only to lose them? There are many, many things in life that I do not understand, losing babies being one of them. Our kids asked some of the same questions, and then some others that I would never have said aloud. But kids....you know, they say what they think. I am making my list to ask the Lord someday. I'm sure He will give me some brilliant answer but I can't think of what that would be right now. For now, we all agree, God is good, and we will praise Him even when times are hard and through things we can't quite grasp.
Meanwhile we are grieving. I have learned from this experience that a baby is a baby whether newly conceived or well into its 3rd trimester. The fact that a million and one women have been through it or the fact that I already have 5 other children to enjoy doesn't make THIS child any less special, and it doesn't necessarily make the grieving any easier.
When we told the kids Monday after school, there were some tears shed. Simeon asked if we could name the baby. We all thought it was a good idea. We couldn't give the baby a name without a gender, and so we took a vote. It was unanimously a boy. Jude suggested John, and we all loved it. "Baby John", meaning God is gracious. The kids all kissed my tummy and we had our good-bye's. I wish I would have thought to email all their teachers though, because when they went to school the next day to tell their sad news to their classmates....Apparently some thought it was a sick April Fools' joke. :(
A friend shared this prayer with me:
Dear God, I've dreampt of holding my child on my knee and telling them about you... but I cannot. Instead, will you hold my child on your knee and tell them about me?Another shared this:
And God Said
I said, "God, I hurt." And God said, "I know."
I said, "God, I cry a lot." And God said, "That is why I gave you tears."
I said, "God, I am so depressed." And God said, "That is why I gave you Sunshine."
I said, "God, life is so hard." And God said, "That is why I gave you loved ones."
I said, "God, my son died." And God said, "So did mine."
I said, "God, it is such a loss." And God said, "I saw my son nailed to a cross."
I said, "God, but your son lives." And God said, "So does yours."
I said, "God, where are they now?" And God said, "Mine is on My right and Yours is in the Light."
I said, "God, it hurts." And God said, "I know."
~Authors K. C. and Myke Kuzmic~
"Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy."- Psalm 126:5
And God Said
I said, "God, I hurt." And God said, "I know."
I said, "God, I cry a lot." And God said, "That is why I gave you tears."
I said, "God, I am so depressed." And God said, "That is why I gave you Sunshine."
I said, "God, life is so hard." And God said, "That is why I gave you loved ones."
I said, "God, my son died." And God said, "So did mine."
I said, "God, it is such a loss." And God said, "I saw my son nailed to a cross."
I said, "God, but your son lives." And God said, "So does yours."
I said, "God, where are they now?" And God said, "Mine is on My right and Yours is in the Light."
I said, "God, it hurts." And God said, "I know."
~Authors K. C. and Myke Kuzmic~
"Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy."- Psalm 126:5
30 comments:
We love you guys and continue praying for each of you! I'm so sorry for the loss of baby John.
I am so, so sorry. I wish I had something to say that would make you feel better. I will pray, though.
Gina
I am so sorry for your loss.... From personal experience, I know that time and prayer will soften the pain - and the love of your family is most important right now.
Take care of yourself!
Amy
I am so sorry for your loss. When you had asked for prayer yesterday, I was afraid that was why. I still pray for peace and God's love and his grace to surround you during this time.
I'm sorry! What a beautiful poem. I hope the kids are doing okay.
I'm coming out as a lurker as well to send my deepest prayers to you and your family. The poems are beautiful. A great thing to remember on hard days. I too have experienced this, and it is never easy, but God always shows us that he is in control. Please take care of yourself and give giant hugs to the entire family.
Julie
Alabama
I am so deeply sorry for your loss. Know that I am thinking and praying for you and your family. God bless you!
I am so sorry for your loss of a child. It is evident how very much loved this baby was and is. God bless you and you will be in my prayers.
Shea
Dear Charissa & family,
I, too, will de-lurk to send you wishes of love and God’s Peace during this very difficult time. Our loss was 9 years ago (when our oldest two were 10 & 12), and while the pain is still vivid, so is the Peace that comforted us. God is so good, I have often wondered how anyone could make it through a loss like this without Him. Your baby John was special to all of us following your blog, as is your whole family. Thank you for sharing your life with us, for providing encouragement for us, for showing us strength, and now, for allowing us to weep with you.
Julie
West Virginia
PS – Our youngest two are now 7 & 3 (“surprise” and Thank you, God! ☺)
Also de-lurking to say that I too am so sorry. I didn't have a good feeling yesterday with the call for prayer. I have had you and your entire family on my mind ever since. I will continue to pray for healing (physical and emotional). I hope to meet baby John in heaven one day.
I echo the heartfelt expressions of sympathy everyone has expressed. I've never had any children myself so have not walked your very path, but I have grieved losses of those desired, longed for, and loved. Please know though you don't know me, I care for you and your family, and have come to love "checking in" on you all. As I celebrate your family's joy, I also now share your sorrow. John is a lovely chosen name. We all know how celebrated he was within your family - still is and always will be. May the anticipation of meeting him one day and knowing he is safe, sound, whole, and seeing the Savior face-to-face give you comfort.
Charissa,
I am still holding you and your family up in prayer. Lots of (((HUGS))) your way..
Christina
RR Group
(((HUGS)))
I'm soooo sorry, you all will continue to be in our prayers. I also have to echo what others have said about how you've been such an inspiration to our family.
I'm so sorry Charissa! We'll miss baby John. How do people do this without the Lord?
i am so sorry.
i told my husband that after reading your last post, i worried about your newest child.
sadly, we have been there as well... her name was "olive". she stayed with me a week after her heart stopped inside of me. we also lost "sammy" later that same year.
it makes us cherish the children we can hug and kiss all the more.
my thoughts and prayers are with you...
warmest regards,
rachel
(los angeles)
The roses are quite fitting for the content posted. We too have wept. Tears are good. The joy come in the morning to the one that spent the night in tears. Hang in there...
The roses are quite fitting for the content posted. We too have wept. Tears are good. The joy come in the morning to the one that spent the night in tears. Hang in there...
Oma and Opa in Mexico are grieving with you in the loss of our newest grandchild. It is hard being so far away from being able to hug and cry with you. We know we have another grandchild in Heaven waiting to be reunited some day. John Samuel is completely healed and in Jesus' arms. We love you and pray for special peace and comfort. What wonderful friends, some new, who are sharing your pain and praying for you. Thanks to each of you!!
Praying for you during this difficult time.
Charissa, isnt it amazing that a completely unseen, brand new baby could bring SO much love? Some people go through their entire lives with no one celebrating them. baby John has been surrounded in love...created in love...from the very earliest of his days. He made a mark in the world.
I heard a song recently on a blog that I now have on MY blog. When I get sad thinking about my son, I think of the words. The song is "Bring the Rain" and the lyrics have touched me so deeply:
MERCY ME
"Bring The Rain"
I can count a million times
People asking me how I
Can praise You with all that I've gone through
The question just amazes me
Can circumstances possibly
Change who I forever am in You
Maybe since my life was changed
Long before these rainy days
It's never really ever crossed my mind
To turn my back on you, oh Lord
My only shelter from the storm
But instead I draw closer through these times
So I pray
Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings You glory
And I know there'll be days
When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the rain
I am Yours regardless of
The dark clouds that may loom above
Because You are much greater than my pain
You who made a way for me
By suffering Your destiny
So tell me what's a little rain
So I pray
Holy, holy, holy
Is the Lord God Almighty
-I hope you understand what I am saying here, I dont discount your pain in any way. I just know that God is here, in both of our losses, if we turn to Him. I know you turn to Him every day, and I am learning to. Sending our love all the way from Maine.
Charissa, I haven't checked your blog in a while as my life was very crazy with my new Ukrainian addition. I went back to read everything, and I was so happy to see how Ava is adjusting, and then I was thrilled to learn that you are expecting. Now I'm equally sad to learn about the loss of baby John. But I'm convinced that everything happens for the reason, and baby John will be in your heart forever. (((HUGS)))
I am so very sorry to hear about your loss and your pain. I had tears in my eyes as I read your blog, and felt the pain and the peace as well. I truly feel that song that Michelle sent in her comment was touching and expressive of how we can go through the pain with our hand in the Saviour's. It doesn't take the pain away, and we don't understand the 'why's' of all of this, but we can know and feel God working His love though it all. I grieve with you all, and pray for God's strength and peace to envelop you each moment. I pray for Marlita and her family as they have gone through all of this with you, and for Oma and Opa as they are grieving as well and can't be there to hold you as they wish they could. You are so very blessed with a family and friends that love you all so much.
Love,
Aunt Sharon
Oh Sweetie, I am so very, very sorry for your loss. I pray that you will be overwhelmed with peace and the presence of our Lord during your sorrow. You are a beautiful woman of God and a shining example of His Love to our world. May He cradle your entire family as you grieve.
We love you all so much and have been praying since John called Ken. Thanks for sharing your ups and downs with us. Those poems were touching. Sending love and hugs from NM!
From my own personal experience losing my first born son who was stillborn to misscarring twins and then another 2 m/c
I know that time and prayer will soften the pain.... But the little one you carried inside you will never be forgoten!
this song gives me a lot of comfort
Watermark \ Glory Baby
Glory baby you slipped away as fast as we could say baby…baby..
You were growing, what happened dear?
You disappeared on us baby…baby..
Heaven will hold you before we do
Heaven will keep you safe until we’re home with you…
Until we’re home with you…
Miss you everyday
Miss you in every way
But we know there’s a
day when we will hold you
We will hold you
You’ll kiss our tears away
When we’re home to stay
Can’t wait for the day when we will see you
We will see you
But baby let sweet Jesus hold you
‘till mom and dad can hold you…
You’ll just have heaven before we do
You’ll just have heaven before we do
Sweet little babies, it’s hard to
understand it ‘cause we’re hurting
We are hurting
But there is healing
And we know we’re stronger people through the growing
And in knowing-
That all things work together for our good
And God works His purposes just like He said He would…
Just like He said He would…
I can’t imagine heaven’s lullabies
and what they must sound like
But I will rest in knowing, heaven is your home
And it’s all you’ll ever know…all you’ll ever know…
Charissa, I am so sorry for your loss. I will pray for you and your family to heal quickly. It made me cry to read your post and find out your news. From personal experience, I know how difficult this time is for you.
Martha Spahr
Charissa,
I am so sorry for your loss. I know I could never muster up the right words to heal the pain of losing a child, but know I am praying for you and your family. Lots of love and hugs!
lurker here to Praying for your family from Australia
Post a Comment