CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Therapy guinea pigs

When I was in nursing school, I wrote my senior paper on "Psychosocial characteristics of siblings of handicapped children". I was fascinated to learn that children who grow up with a brother or sister with special needs often develop characteristics of compassion, empathy and patience. The typical siblings also tend to go into helping professions such as a medical field, special education, physical, speech or occupational therapy, etc. 


So when we were praying about adopting a child with special needs, I was prepared for warnings that our biological children might suffer from our choice to adopt. I knew better.

It has been so incredible to see this already playing out in our family. The kids have come with Ava and me to therapy a couple of times (over Spring Break and also on a no-school flood day), and I have seen them mimicking some of the "therapies" at home.

Their guinea pigs.......?

ACTUAL guinea pigs!
             ,    





10 comments:

Chelley said...

OMGoodness I hate to crack up at the hair clip on the GPig!!! LOL

But that idea of it is so CUTE

Michelle said...

omg I am DYING here...poor guinea pigs...but...LOOK AT JOHN in the background!!!! Too funny..I think he must be wii bowling? LOL

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, that is so precious!! I love how seriously Hope is taking it. She really is a great therapist. Charissa, I am amazed at your kids. And what sweet long suffering guinea pigs you have :)

Kelly S
RR

Michelle said...

I was going to say the same thing about John - lol! Somebody's busy on the Wii - lol! Yes, the hair clip on the guinea pig is hilarious! Charissa your kids are so precious :o)

Christina said...

That is just too cute CHarissa! I LOVE Wii bowling...hopefull we will get one from Santa this year! LOL

Janell & Kenny said...

Rolling on the floor laughing out loud with Jude! That was hilarious! Precious video of them giving guinea pigs therapy. Reminded me of Weet Weet...Jeremy's guinea pig. He would have loved therapy...or any attention whatsoever. LOL! Totally loved watching this..thanks a bunch!

Anonymous said...

Haha ! I absolutely loved that video ! Hope is soo sweet. & Jude is just funny ! haha.
-Heather

Stephanie said...

wow, that is the best behaved GP that i have ever seen. Our old GP Mr. jingles wasnt so calm or nice. If you touched him wrng he'd bite and if you put him on the floor he'd run and hide under the dressers. And we didnt even make him do "therapy" or learn to do back flips!! Maybe if we did he would have been happier!

WheresMyAngels said...

That is too funny! Except for picturing all those Gpigs droppings all over the toys!! ha ha I used to have 3 of them as a kid.

junglemama said...

My Sveta was watching this over my shoulder and all she could say was, "Can I have one? I'll take care of it? Can I have one? I'll take care of it." :)