Today I had my follow up appointment for my miscarriage. It was harder than I thought it would be. Sitting in the waiting room next to ladies with round bellies, walking past the wall of photos of babies that were delivered by Dr. Myers....pictures of smiling mommies and daddies, precious newborn babies wrapped in pink or blue blankets. I saw the ultrasound machine that we had looked forward to seeing our baby kicking or sucking its thumb. Instead it had less than 3 weeks ago confirmed that indeed, our baby's heart had stopped beating.
I had told John not to worry, to please not take another day off work. I'll be fine, I said, I could make it on my own today. I wish now I wouldn't have been so confident in myself.
I burst into tears when the doctor asked me what we named the baby. I wouldn't have expected a doctor to ask but I was glad he did. "That's a nice name," he said. He asked how we grieved our loss. I told him where we buried the baby, and that the kids want to go "visit" him every day. I'm glad to have a doctor that asks these kinds of questions.
Then we talked about options, do we want to "try" again? I just don't know how one makes these decisions. On the one hand we thought we were done having kids 3 months ago. On the other hand, how could we end like this? I suppose now is not the time to decide.
When I was checking out, I handed my yellow paper to the receptionist. Apparently she didn't notice the handwritten words, "Follow up miscarriage", because she asked, "How many weeks are you?"....Uh, I didn't know what to say, and I just looked at her. She then glanced down at the page and got a mortified look on her face and apologized. I wonder which one of us was more uncomfortable. Again, I burst into tears, and cried all the way down the hall, down the elevator (where a lady handed me a bag of Kleenex) and through the parking lot into my car.
My kids have asked me why do I cry? He is in heaven, he is not in pain, Mom. We will see him again. I know, I know. All these things are true and they bring me comfort. But will it ever stop feeling like somebody is missing? I know that no other child, by birth or adoption will replace THAT child, and I suppose that is why it is hard to make "the decision". I know the pain will lessen, the grieving will subside. Meanwhile I hope people can understand I just need to be sad every now and then, and grieve the baby, Baby #6 that I never got to cuddle. I know so many of you can understand. And I thank you for holding my hand through it.
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Posted by liesel at 2:43 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
I'm really sorry for you Charissa. Ladies came by this afternoon and we wanted them to see your blog site. Thanks for being upfront, honest, open, it really does, help us all. I'd like to visit that special place with the kids. Your dad
Charissa, I'm so sorry. I have an idea o There is actually a room at my ob/gyns office that I will not go in, its even written on my chart to not put me in that room. That's the room that i was in prior to being sent to the hospital to have my csection for chase (7 weeks early), where i got the pathology report back on the baby we lost at 12 wks that said that the baby was perfect, where i found out my hgc numbers were dropping with the baby we lost at 8 weeks and where i was when i was sent to the hospital for bedrest with kylie! I had NEVER been in the room any other time! So weird, but I refuse to go in it, its like the bad news room! I'm glad you have a good dr.... ours is awesome like that too
Your mom here. Charissa, I only wish I could have been there to hold you and see you through this. My mom's heart breaks that you had to have this experience several weeks ago as well as relive it today. May the Lord continue to heal your heart and emotions. You are so strong, and even in your feelings of weakness, the Lord makes Himself strong in you for your family as well as the rest of us. I love you, Mom
Isn't it incredible, Charissa, how children can "understand and accept" our world so much better than we can as adults. God has blessed you over and over again....our prayers are with you and your family at this difficult time. ---Andrea Roberts, Reece's Rainbow Down Syndrome Adoption Ministry
oh girl, wish I was there to hold your hand. I am sorry you are hurting. You know, someone told me after Alex died that hurting meant I had loved him...known love....and that that was better than never having loved him at all.
Give yourself time and there is no decision to be made right now. You will know what to do and what is right for your family. Praying for comfort, cry all you want. Remember, I wanted to shove the pregnant ones after my miscarriage. Peace to you.
Lisa Adams
I am so sorry Charissa. I am praying for you.
Aww, sweetie - I wish I could give you a hug. I'll be thinking of you, Charissa, and praying for you. You are a remarkable, special person...
Love,
Michelle
I am so sorry that you had to walk those halls today and relive that experience. But God was with you he wrapped his arms around you and held every tear. He is with you and he will mend your broken heart. May he bless you with an extra hug from your children to show his love for you today.
I am so sorry that you had to walk those halls today and relive that experience. But God was with you he wrapped his arms around you and held every tear. He is with you and he will mend your broken heart. May he bless you with an extra hug from your children to show his love for you today.
I am praying God's protection of your heart in this matter. The loss of a child is so hard and the memories of the ob/gyn office are especially hard. May God comfort you and keep you in His almighty hands!
Dietitian in Indiana
Charissa...I love you.
{{hugs}} It is okay to be sad. With time the pain goes away but I don't think it ever goes away completely.
i am so sorry for your pain.
i never stop thinking of the babies i lost, but thank
G-D for the one that i do get to cuddle with and kiss too much (according to my son :-).
the memories stay with you but the pain doesn't seem to hurt nearly as bad as time goes on.
stay strong, but cry when you need to...
best regards,
rachel
Charissa, I cried as I read your words. I am so sorry. I am sorry you are hurting. It will hurt less. I love you, Marlita
Post a Comment