CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My dream come true

I had tears in my eyes as I waved good bye to the special ed bus this morning.....My dream come true. We decided to put Ava in school, mornings, half day. She has been going for a week and a half now and started riding the bus too. Here is the driver and the bus aide. I hope they don't mind their picture on my blog. :)

She seems to be loving it. Thank you to whoever suggested keeping a notebook in her diaper bag to communicate with her teacher. I am always amazed at how kids will do things for other people that they won't do for the parents. The teachers have been working with her on feeding and using a sippy cup at school and she continues to make great progress. Music time seems to be her favorite and she loves to watch and mimic the other kids. There are only 6 I think.

Isn't she cute?


17 comments:

rachel said...

congratulations... how exiting for ava!
she looks like such a big girl on the bus. you must be very proud.
i hope you are doing well... i always enjoy reading about your lovely family.
it warms my heart!

best,
rachel

Christina said...

That is so awesome Charissa!

Janell & Kenny said...

The tune going through my head is "I'm a big girl now!" Fun Fun!

Michelle said...

awww, there goes our girl! I am glad you are finding peace with this decision C, I know how hard you wrestled with it. (And I think many of us get credit for suggesting the notebook, it is an absolute GODSEND for us.) I am so proud of you, and of her...and I saw my award below...how cool is that? I will add it to my blog after work today! :) Thanks!!!

Bethany said...

Oh my goodness, look at her! Months ago she was trapped inside a crib most of her day and now look at her riding the bus to school! Yay Ava! Yay Urban family! Awesome. Hey, now you can prep me for when I have to put Payton on the bus in the fall! :(

amyl4 said...

I got tears in my eyes everyday for about the first year Jimmy rode the bus to school, and I didn't even let him ride the bus until he was four. But they LOVE it (the bus ride), so that made it a little easier.:)
Amy

Amy said...

Charissa-
What a huge step for Ava AND you! You are opening her world in so many wonderful ways!
So what have you been doing to fill the time that she at school???
Big Smiles for Ava!

Amy

kristynewb said...

Oh my! She is so adorable!! I can't believe how big she looks sitting in the driver's lap. You are doing an amazing job with her! I love it!

Andrea Roberts said...

Hope you don't mind, but I added this picture and a few comments to your Homecomings profile!---Andrea Roberts, Reece's Rainbow Down Syndrome Adoption Ministry, www.reecesrainbow.com/homecomings.htm

Unknown said...

For those of us not living in the USA, we nod our heads with great approval, that the girl Ava, has a chance to be all she can be, with the help of therapists and special ed. I imagine that it would be easy to cry, because she didn´t cry when you waved goodbye.

Unknown said...

For those of us not living in the USA, we nod our heads with great approval, that the girl Ava, has a chance to be all she can be, with the help of therapists and special ed. I imagine that it would be easy to cry, because she didn´t cry when you waved goodbye.

WheresMyAngels said...

Isn't she cute! she looks like she was saying "What is the big deal?" Mercede started school at 18 months and used to ride a bus for an hour to get there. She never slept at night so she did get an hour nap before going to school.

Laura said...

How sweet. I decided to send my daughter to PPCD starting in the fall (I chose not to send her this year). I hope she adjusts just as easily as Ava!!

Anonymous said...

I hope she had a great day. And I am sure that you enjoyed a little peace and quiet for a little while atleast. She has come so far.

Dalene said...

Good going. What a big girl!

Cammie Heflin said...

Yeah Ava! I'm sure she's having a blast!

Deb D. said...

Charissa:
How beautiful that you dream dreams for Ava that she doesn't yet know are even possible to dream! What a blessed child she is to have a loving family that is giving all their love, prayers, and efforts to see that she has a fulfilling life. I know you all are blessed by her, as well. She is a precious package. I wonder at times as I read your post if / how often those who loved her in Ukraine see your postings and have the opportunity to see with amazement the priceless little girl unfolding in her loving home. How they must be overjoyed to see her so happy and thriving. Your family is a testimony of God's amazing work in the lives of people.