I'll apologize in advance for all the photos but I couldn't narrow it down to my favorite one or two, so I decided to include all of them. I was just on the phone this morning with my parents talking about yesterday's video and bragging about all of Ava's progress. I told them there is one area in which I have been very discouraged, however, and that is in the area of feeding.
I guess I spoke too soon. Look what she did tonight..(You won't believe it Rachel!) Besure to scroll all the way down to the bottom photo!
Yes, she ate the WHOLE thing!!!! (Without crying or gagging)
I have tried and tried to get Ava to try baby food, pudding, crackers, suckers, etc. etc. You name it, I've tried it. Because of her sensory issues, it has been like pulling hen's teeth to get her to open her mouth to anything but her bottle or my fingers (Ouch! By the way, whoever diagnosed her with low muscle tone never tested her jaw muscles, or her eye muscles while putting eye ointment in them. )
Anyway, today I did two things differently. One, instead of giving her the baby food before the bottles like I have every other time, I gave her the pudding after her regular evening bottles. Second, today was the first day that I actually did her sensory brushing exactly as prescribed by the occupational therapist. Instead of brushing her when it came to mind, I stayed on a schedule of every two hours. I don't know which of these things was the key, but you'd better believe I'll be doing it exactly the same tomorrow.
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
She ate the whole thing!
Posted by liesel at 9:08 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
19 comments:
Woo hoo girly! Maybe she can come teach Payton a thing or two? :) We struggle with feeding issues here too, and I totally understand how frustrating it can be! Praying it continues tomorrow!
You go girl! We did brushing with Cooper religiously to get through some sensory issues and I would recommend it to anyone! I'm so glad she's eating for you!
Charissa. That is so wonderful to see. OMG, does she look happy. 2 of my 5 have/had feeding issues. With my oldest, Jesse, the brushing was the trick. His SI problems were so great in number and tenacity. I think you'll find that the continuous brushing and SI techniques change many things. Congrats on Ava and many blessings to you all.
whooohoo!! Aren't breakthrough's such a blessing to get you through the next step!! Praise God!!
Greetings from Tulsa! So glad to see this great progress. Have I told you lately how much fun it is watching such great progress!
From Oma: Now she will start eating you out of house and home! We are so excited about this newest accomplishment. Her little cheeks have filled out already and tomorrow is a new day to continue to try NEW foods. Opa says he is coming up from Mexico with some real good PORK RINDS.
This is just so great Charissa. And what I notices was how perfectly she is eating off the spoon. she's got great lip closure and no tongue protrusion at all. She is doing just FABULOUS!
Yay Ava!! Way to go! And check out those cheecks!!
Christina
RR
That is SO cool Charissa. Kallie gagged and cried when we first started introducing solids too. WTG Ava!
Yay Ava!!!! Great job, Charissa!!! Her little face is so beautiful and those cheeks are so cute and chubby :o) Awesome job!
This is truly wonderful news! WTG Ava! Kara fed herself yesterday for breakfast, it was a good day. BUT not for lunch or dinner. LOL Small steps.
That is progress...next the sippy cup, and walking, potty training, talking, running, it will all happen......no bottles forever....Lisa A
This is so awesome! Praise God!
How exciting. That is wonderful.
so for those of us who don't know the lingo...or just plain missed something if you wrote about it before...what is sensory brushing? We're totally excited with you all.
WOO HOOO!!! Thats awesome!
that 3rd pic down, she looks SO much like John!! How weird is that. Her cheeks have gotten fuller, and just LOOK at her go! How did you do today?
wow that is great to hear!!! praise God. I have been praying for this. indiana dietitian
A celebratory day indeed!!!!! Definately worthy of lots of photos! She has some seriously good oral motor control while eating it too......see what happens when you do what your therapist tells you! LOL Rachel
Post a Comment