Ava had a consultation this morning with an audiologist regarding hearing aide fitting and placement. We got a slightly different opinion from her than we got from the tech who initially tested her hearing. The audiologist feels that hearing aides are unnecessary right now, as her hearing loss is borderline. The high pitch sounds she can hear fine apparently, it's the lower tones she is having trouble with. The audiologist explained that while the lower tones are magnified by the hearing aides, so would the higher tones and it would just be too much for her and in the end it would probably make things worse.
Liesel thinks just like me. When I told the kids the good news after our report, Liesel said exactly what I was thinking. She said, "Mom, that's good news and bad news. It's good that she can hear good but I'm a little sad because I think she would have looked so cute with hearing aides." :)
4 comments:
well good. I had been of the same mind, as you know, for a long time now. ;) Ciarra has the same issues, it was once explained to me that it was the difference between hearing an 18 wheeler 10 streets over versus hearing it 6 streets over, either way, you hear it. ;) I dont think she could possibly GET any cuter.
Great news about the hearing aids - and you don't have to worry, Ava is always cute.
Kayla
WHAT? Ok, I'm sorry, but your audiologist is lacking some training. The newer digital hearing aids ONLY amplify the frequencies the child isn't hearing. They don't amplify everything like the old aids. Remember, if she's missing the low tones sounds, she's missing sounds like m, n, b, g, (depending upon where her decible loss is.)Take a sentence and remove all those sounds, and say it to yourself. That is what she's hearing. If it were me, I'd want to get yet another opinion.
Hey Charissa, If you want a or feel like you'd like a second opinion I work for an Audiologist here in Broken Arrow. She'd be more then happy to retest her and give you some additional information on digital hearing aids. Your friend Leah is correct on EVERYTHING that she said. It's a whole new world of hearing aids.
Post a Comment