CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Heaping fiery coals is fun

My kids were extra attentive a couple of nights ago when I was reading the scripture in Romans that says that doing good things for your enemy is like heaping coals of fire on their heads. I have no idea what that scripture means and my Bible had no commentary on it. Seems to me that heaping hot coals on someone's head is not a nice thing to do at all, but I suppose it has something to do with softening your enemy's hearts or making them feel bad for how they treated you.

Well Simeon really put this scripture into practice this past week. When he got paid $5 for checking the neighbor's mail, and all his siblings were griping that they didn't get to check anyone's mail, and they didn't get $5, he asked me to let him go into Walgreens to "buy himself something" He winked at me so I knew he was up to something, so I did. While we waited for him, everyone else in the car was whining about the fact that Simeon always gets to check people's mail, and he always gets to do more fun things than they do. He came out with a big grin on his face, holding 4 special treats, one for himself and his 3 siblings (the ones that can enjoy treats anyway). Talk about heaping coals!

We have a rule that if any of the kids give me grief while we are at therapy (i.e. running around, tattletelling, arguing, etc.) they have to miss Friday Family Movie Night (go to bed early while the rest of us stay up and watch a movie). Well I am sad to report that 3 out of the 4 missed our last family movie night. When his sister blamed him for losing her movie night privilege (after all she was JUST tattle tattletelling on him because he was being so bad), Simeon offered to give up two family movie nights so she could get her privilege back. By the way she was so touched by this that she decided she wanted to miss family movie night just so they could suffer together.

So I still am not exactly sure what the scripture means, but there is a boy living in my house who is sure having fun heaping fiery coals on his brothers' and sisters' heads. What 10 year old boy wouldn't find that exciting?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that the scripture is saying that by treating your enemykindly, that to your enemy that is the "worst" thing you could do...In the long run they do or should feel bad for how they have been treating you. Afterall, do unto others as you wish done unto you...

Deb D. said...

I think you have precious kids. They really have character. You and John are obviously raising them well. Blessings!!

jennifer... said...

Now that brought tears to my eyes.  Charge me a quarter!  I just finished reading something extemely discouraging on the state of our nations morality but what you wrote today was the perfect antidote.  Thanks for the hope.

Anonymous said...

Aw...that wink. That does it everytime. It works wonders

Cammie Heflin said...

Okay your kids are just amazing. My kids would never do that for each other!

Robin said...

that probably should have made me cry but it really made me laugh...

kirsten said...

Go Simeon...what a heart!! So cute that he winks at you. I will miss him and Wilson playing together:( sniff, sniff again....

Dagmar said...

That is so cute!! So is he still doing it, or was it just a day or two thing?

RoverHaus said...

Dang!!!

So that is what that scripture means.

I think I'm going to be sued....

Anonymous said...

Aww !! Simeon is such a sweet boy.
& growing up so fast !
-Heather

Anonymous said...

That's so sweet!

What I heard that the verse means (from my bible teacher):
In Bible times, people of course didn't have heaters, so they would keep their house warm with fireplaces and fires in the room. This required keeping the fire alive all night so it wouldn't go out. But if a fire accidentally went out, you could go to your neighbor and ask him for some coals to start your fire again. So if your enemy came to you, of course you would usually laugh at them and refuse to give them coals. But the verse is saying to give your enemy so many coals they're overflowing onto his head.

That's what my teacher said.