CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Summer Chaos

How do you manage your summer chaos? The wet swimming towels and goggles in the living room, the french fries in the car, the bad attitudes, the fingerprints on the windows, the flies, the never ending appetites?


Here are a couple of ways I'm trying to manage the kid chaos. Everybody starts out each day automatically with 30 minutes worth of chores (we set the timer and all work together as a family). Every time you argue, complain or goof off, you get 5 minutes added to your time. Friends can come over after our chores are done, unless they want to help. Sometimes that works out pretty good. Today I added a new rule. You are only allowed to tattle-tell if the person doesn't stop the annoying behavior after you've asked them at least once politely. Tattle-telling earns you one chore, and the person who gets tattle-told on becomes my personal servant for 15 minutes.

When I give consequences I usually try to make sure they are beneficial to the family in some way. Rather than just taking away privileges or "grounding" them, I like to think of ways they can give back to the people they wronged. I've had the kids make each other's beds or write a letter, or say 3 nice things about each other. Yesterday when the kids were all fighting, I made us all hold hands in a circle and sing a song, swaying back and forth. They hate it at first but it always ends up in laughter. 

Another trick I learned in a book (wish I could remember which or I would give the author proper credit) is to tell your kids where your energy level is. Hope especially loves this, she says, "Mom where is your energy right now?". If my energy is down to my ankles, she loves to work hard to get it up again by asking what she can do for me. They love this game because when my "energy" gets up to my shoulders or my ears, I usually feel like passing out popsicles or taking kids to the park or swimming. I confess I have never been very good at long term rewards, like popsicle sticks or beads or stickers, but my "energy" can go up and down much faster than a jar of beads and we can get instant rewards or consequences that way.

I would really love to hear from other moms. How do you keep your sanity and keep the house running from laundry to errands, to child discipline? It really is an important job we have as wives and mothers and I  think we need all the support and tricks we can get.

8 comments:

Me said...

Oh I really need you to come to my house and help me straighten out my kids! LOL. I just finished trying (unsuccessfully) to clean up the mess they all made with the toys. That is the worst chore to get them to do.

mom2four said...

oh wow, I LOVE those ideas. What an answer to prayer......I was just asking the Lord for some answers like that myself :) We've been working HARD on attitudes and using chores for that ourselves. I highly recommend a book "making brothers and sisters best friends" it's more for the kids and it's writtien by the kids in a family! We are using this as a tool here.

Terra said...

I love you!! You are an amazing mother!! You truly do inspire me to want to be a better person/mother!

Anonymous said...

Maybe you need to get a milk cow, and have the kids in the morning milk the cow, then make cheese, butter, and cream. This will keep them busy. opa

Amy said...

Hmmmm..... summer chaos?? I would have to say that I try really hard to keep my kiddos on a very similar schedule to what they have during the school year....they get up about 30-45 minutes later than "school days" and they go to bed at the same time - usually 8-8:30. My kids do chores in the morning as well - so that gives me a brief amount of sanity!
I try to plan at least ONE fun activity per day - somewhere about an hour to two - depending. it might be picnic and play at the park, or challenging them to draw certain pictures with sidewalk chalk - squirt gun fights...We also have tried to do one special thing each week - like go somewhere new... with summer school and day camps and swimming lessons - it seems like we all are busier than during school! hehe
I also have tried REALLY hard to get all my household chores done Monday thru Thursday - so I get a 3 day weekend... I think I've actually made it once so far this summer - but atleast it gives me something to look forward to if I get it done!

Amy

Anonymous said...

Wow. I'll have to try some of your ideas. We have 'clean up' at night, so that I can actually make it to their beds to put them to bed. I really like the 'tattle tell' idea. I'm definitely going to borrow that.

Jan

Missy said...

My mom used to make me and my brother hug for 10 minutes when we were fighting. Although we hated it, we ended up laughing so hard by the end. Hard feelings couldn't last. :)

cara said...

I only have the one, but I watch my neices during the week too. Today I have 11 kids in the pool and only me to watch them. Everyone gets one beach towel per week, they must hang them up with their suits or they don't swim the next day. Bad attitudes equal an extra chore or if it continues it equals a nap. We all do chores before ten, and swim or something fun in the afternoons.
I love to read your blog, keep it coming, Cara
www.norbycjukraineangel.blogspot.com