CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Determination

I have wanted to blog about this for quite a while, and I haven't because I wanted to understand it first, and quite frankly, I still don't. Human growth and development. This subject that I found extremely boring my sophomore year of college has become an obsession to me. I wish I understood it better. What I don't understand is......HOW....does a child lay in a crib for 4 years and not "accidentally" roll over one time, or at some point think to herself, "If I reached up and grabbed that bar, maybe I could pull myself up." To just lay there for four years and still be like a little tiny infant, I don't understand. And then suddenly, a man and a lady come and pick you up, give you a ride in a taxi cab, then take you on a long airplane ride to a house with a bunch of kids who hold you a bunch, kiss you a bunch, roll on the floor with you, cuddle you, feed you whenever you want to eat, and do a bunch of silly things to make you smile. And then suddenly you figure out how to roll over, and after a while you find the strength to sit up, and eventually you see that there are these things called toys that are fun to play with and you start pushing buttons to see them light up and the music play. And you find that it's even fun to pick that toy up and put it in your mouth! Then you realize that if that toy is far away you can put yourself on your belly and move your arms and legs and they take you to wherever you want to go, and that is called "crawling". Then it dawns on you that if you are in a swing, and you move your arms up and down, somebody will swing you, or if you tap your lips, somebody will feed you. I don't understand how these things have "magically" happened, just in the 4 months we have been home.

In the time that I have been sitting here typing, Ava has gone from sitting beside me playing with her toy, to crawling three rooms over where she heard her brothers and sisters laughing. I guess she wanted to see what the excitement was. Before I knew Ava I took all these things for granted. I don't remember being so excited when my other kids first pushed their legs through their pantlegs while dressing them, or REACHED their arms out and flung themselves into another person's arms, like Ava did last night to her Daddy.

I remember doing the initial evaluation for school services a few months ago. The checklist of questions that I was asked was overwhelming to me:
-Does she respond to her name? (No)
-Does she seem to understand the meaning of the word 'no'? (Well, she can't do anything to say 'no' TO)
-Does she put objects in her mouth? (No)
-Does she seem aware of what is going on around her? (Not really)
-What does she do when you put an object in front of her? (Nothing)
-Can she roll over? (No)
-Can she sit up? (No)
-If you put a blanket over an object will she look for it? (No).....And she's FOUR years old???!!!

It was very difficult to even evaluate her, because she really wasn't doing ANYTHING to evaluate. She was so much like a newborn baby. I remember feeling so awkward and discouraged during that initial meeting because I realized all the milestones that we had yet to accomplish. I think I went home and cried that day.

Well last night as I watched Ava play, I remembered being asked about her pulling a string to get an object (of course the answer had been 'no' at the time), and I watched her bending over again and again in her little chair to PICK up the object, and it dawned on me, This girl has determination!!! Look at how she works to get this puppy. I really think she is something special, don't you?

30 comments:

Michelle said...

I think she is amazing. AND I think I said many months ago that you better hang on tight cause she "has that sparkle in her eye." Yep, she still has it. That child is VERY bright. And miraculous. and cute too. And..charming. And uh...beautiful. ;)

Zack, Jenn and William said...

Something special, indeed!

Michelle said...

Dito on Michelle's comment :o) You can see it in her eyes, Charissa! She has literally been reborn, and is doing so many amazing things! Go Pretty Princess Ava :o)

Julie said...

She is something special. A true gift!!! What an amazing little girl!

Julie
RR

Kathy said...

Good Morning, sweet Ava, so nice to see you woke up.

Leah Spring said...

It is amazing to me, watching this children who'd been left for not, coming to life in their new families. Imagine where Ava would be had she been in your home from birth. But, instead, you were meant to learn lessons from this experience, just as Ava is meant to do as well. From the few adoptive children I know personally, (vs. "knowing" them online") there comes a time in thier orphan cribs that they stop trying. They have no motivation...there is no toy to reach out to, just the same bar to stare at day after day. There is no smile to greet you or happy voice to cheer you on, and so...you don't. You just lay there. Wasting...waiting...only you don't know what you're waiting for. You don't know that it's possible someone far away will see a picture of you and claim you as their child. You don't know they're hurrying before it's too late. You don't know they're trying to get to you before you give up. Because, it won't be long before you do just that...give up the will to live. But Ava has YOU now. She has a new purpose in life, but it has taken her a few months to figure out what that is. Now that she knows her purpose is to grow and lead the live of a valued human being, that is exactly what she's going to do!

adopting2fromUkraine said...

It has totally amazed me the difference in children who live in orphanages compared to my own children I have raised from birth(and before:) You don't realize how important all those little things we do for our children are until you see children who have been deprived of that attention and how they respond once they receive that personal one on one attention.

Rita Andrews said...

Oh Charissa
Everytime I see Ava it reminds me of my Giovanna when we brought her home. She was like Ava, not doing anything really....she was barely sitting up at 22m but within 4 mo she was running everywhere.. Her heart slowed her down in the beginning but now.....look out world!

Go Ava Go, you can DO ALL things through Jesus Christ who gives us strength!

Anonymous said...

That's a video that needs to be sent back to the orphanage director! She's amazing!

Jan

Anonymous said...

Charissa,
I may not be a child developmental specialist, but I think it has to do with the neurons and the development of the synapses in the brain. If the brain performs the same functions day in and day out, then there is no need to create new pathways for knowledge to travel. However, when new information is introduced it takes a while to creat the new path, but eventually it sticks. She didn't have enough of an opportunity for her neurons to make new connections until you all came along. That's why they say children's brains are like sponges for the first 3 years. The same is true for a person who might have had a brain injury in one area of their brain. The brain, by God's miraculous design, has the ability to form new pathways and different parts of the brain can learn to do new and different tasks. It takes time, but anything is possible. Ava is a wonderful example of that. Sorry for the "lesson", I just thought I would share.

WheresMyAngels said...

I love the video and it is wild to think of the differences of what a family makes!

And is she potty training? Cause that is a toilet she is sitting on right?

liesel said...

Oh, no, we are far from potty training!! It's just a perfect-sized stool (AKA potty chair) for sitting, that's all. :)

Anonymous said...

What's made a difference in Ava? Love, pure love....

You're cherishing and nurturing the potential that's there inside this lovely child, and helping her flourish. What an adventure, to see her learn and grow each day! Thank you so much for sharing it.

Best wishes from
Susan in Kentucky
Cousin to two from Ukraine

p.s. It looks as if Ava may be a lefty, judging by her hand preference in this video montage. And I love her cracking up into excited giggles two-thirds of the way through - and noticed how well she's using her legs for balance. Oh, yes, is she playing "peep-eye", too?? "Where's Ava?? There she is!"

There she is, indeed - so much to see and do!

Amy said...

Charissa-
I have to agree... LOVE is the difference! Now Ava has someone to impress with what she does... now she has someone to laugh at her silliness, now she has someone to show her stuff to.
A few months ago, she could not sit on her own - now look at her! It is an amazing job you and your family are doing with her!
You are all very lucky to have each other!
Amy

Dalene said...

This is amazing. I can't believe how well she is doing!

Chelley said...

amazing doesnt really seen a strong enough word for Ava!

I come here and I am amazed everyday.. I have told countless others about Ava and sent them here to see for themselves Ava the Amazing...

And rarely can I leave your blog without tears.....

Tears for Ava who is LIVING life!

Christina said...

The love you have provided this girl with is amazing and you've given her a platform to succeed and excel. She's truly blessed to have such a wonderful family. You guys are doing such a wonderful job!

RoverHaus said...

Charissa, John,

I don't know what the developmental experts call it, but I think it is just plain, old fashioned love.

People know when they are loved. Ava isn't determined, she just knows she is loved.

I bet a whole lot of people in hospitals, nursing homes, and even prisons would have a greater chance of success in life if they knew they were loved.

When the technitian in the lab coat and the clipboard ask you next time what technique you used to fuel her development, just tell them the truth. "We just loved her."

junglemama said...

Wow! This post hit me. I wonder what Denis could do? Ava is simply amazing.

orphans4me said...

Charissa,
I can hardly believe this is the same little girl I met in Ukraine. Her progress is dramatic.
Joy,RR

Tim Rovenstine said...

Quite an article, I enjoyed it. It has been a journey, and you've kept us in touch. As YOU have changed Ava's world, she indeed is changing ours!

Bethany said...

Yes, and I think you have only hit the tip of the iceberg. She is doing incredibly well and I feel so blessed to be able to watch her grow through your blog.

I have to say that your journey hit home with me the most and is half the reason I am where I am in my adoption journey. And I mean that. The emotion I experienced during your adoption was unreal. :)

I was on the phone last week with my aunt, telling her about our adoption. I told her that of course we would not be where we were without Payton in our lives. I tried to explain to her that the love I have for this child is like no other. We do take all those things for granted with our kids, but with Payton, we jump up and down for the simplest things, things that seem so minute to everyone else. I told my aunt that I just wish everyone else in this world could experience that, but I don't feel that I would have ever experienced parenthood in the way that I have if Payton hadn't come into our lives.

So enjoy ... it definitely is an amazing journey. :)

Anonymous said...

I have followed this blog since you brought Ava home. I am so amazed at what she can do. This is nothing short than a blessing from God. I am a therapist and work with Austic and downs each day. She has showm so much improvement over the four months she has been home it is AMAZING! I have seen some children in therapy for years and not make as much progress as Ava.
It is the love you give her that makes her progress so fast. Keep up the good work Ava.
And thank you for sharing this with all us lurkers:-)
I rarely leave here without some sort of emotion. tears usually:-) But tears of joy!
Cheryl In Lexington

Shea said...

She amazes me with her determination. She is such a beautiful little girl!

Anonymous said...

HI Charissa. I am Linda Otamendi's friend from SD. We adopted a little girl from Petrozavodsk, Russia in 2000. So much of your story is identical to ours. We did know our little Ellie did not have downs but there were other scary and sad things we came across. I think Ava is incredible! I want to go adopt again right now! We have four kids total. I have been looking on the Reese's Rainbow website to see how I can help (short of adopting). Thanks so much for sharing your story. I will be sure to pass along the website as well.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to add too, (I'm Shannon by the way) that I firmly believe LOVE can make all the difference. We are created in God's image. I don't think that means that "even the smallest of these" has limits as to what they can accomplish. When we show them the love of Christ just as He has done for us, miracles happen and + potential is achieved. We have seen that time and time again with our daughter, Ellie.
Shannon from SD

Robin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robin said...

This truly is the house that love built.

Not only is Ava amazing, but so is the love that is making her grow and thrive. It's just so amazing to watch

(sorry, i wanted to post as a REAL blogger, sort of like the velveteen rabbit...)

Julie said...

I haven't checked on your blog in a while, and I am blown away by the difference in Ava! What a miracle your loving family has been for her!

The shopping spree pics below are precious - those eyes are just gorgeous! Sweet little angel... :)
Julie Hinshaw

jilly said...

Thanks so much for this beautiful update on your Ava, your Pastors sermons on adoption and being such encouragers. We are trying to adopt an 18 mth boy (poss FAE) domestically, we've been fostering him over 1 year. Our children just love to play with him and get so excited at every new step he achieves telling teachers, shop assistants everyone!. Oh to keep a child like heart in this life. bless u from uk.