CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 23, 2008

Officially weaned!


I waited a few days to post this, because I wanted to be sure...but I think it's safe to say Ava is now officially weaned from her bottle!! When she first came to us, it took us a little bit (thanks to Michelle) to realize that she would only take her food pureed in a lambs nipple and nothing else would do! She has been taking her food exactly like that for 4 months. Then suddenly last week she went on a bottle strike. I kept thinking she was regressing, that we were having a setback, that she was having some new sensory issues. And then finally Liesel said, "Mom, maybe Ava is just ready to be a big girl and stop drinking out of a bottle." You know what? I think she was right.

It is quite messy and very time consuming as she has a strong tongue thrust but she is now getting 100% of her nutrients by spoon, thanks to this handy dandy food grinder. Today she had pork chops, potatoes, veggies, and applesauce. She particularly liked Aunt Marlita's chili and cornbread, mixed together of course. And the best part is NO MORE GAGGING!

11 comments:

Qadoshyah said...

Yay!! Congratulations little Ava :)!

There's a particular way you can spoon feed that greatly helps discourage tongue thrust. I have some pics of us feeding my brother this way and the description (which was recommended by TalkTools/Sara Rosenfeld-Johnson Oral Motor Therapy - www.talktools.net). Here's the link with the pictures: www.gotdownsyndrome.net/spoonfeeding.html

Just thought I'd mention that :).

~ Qadoshyah
qf@gotdownsyndrome.net

P.S. Ava has come such a long way since you've brought her home - it's been neat to follow along on the blog. I know this is the first time I've left a comment . . . I'm the oldest of 11 kids and my 3 year old brother has DS :). We're presently in California, but will be moving to Oklahoma at the end of August!

Qadoshyah said...

Oh and also just to mention . . . we did use that particular spoon feeding method with my brother for awhile and it helped him a lot in regards to tongue thrust!

~ Qadoshyah

Bethany said...

LOL I love the picture! She has come so far ... simply amazing! :)

Anonymous said...

Way to go Ava. She looks messy, but like she enjoyed it.

liesel said...

Thank you qadoshyah for your help, I will try that.

Anonymous said...

All I have got to say is WOW. That girl just needed a little love and attention and see what she can accomplish. God is good.

Unknown said...

Oma says, Way to go Ava!!

Amy said...

Charissa-
Little Ava has made leaps and bounds! It is amazing that she has only been home 4 months! After following your story for so long - it feels like Ava has always been a part of your family!
Things will be better with the feeding.... its alot like her learning how to sit up on her own - just takes time and practice!

Hugs!
Amy

Shea said...

I love that cute little messy face!

Marlita said...

What a messy face!

Christina said...

Awww look at the cute little messy face! WTG Ava! So awesome! I also saw your photoshoot and wanted to tell you the pictures were awesome(just back from vacay and trying to catch up! only 181 in my reader left! LOL)