I feel like I'm learning something new every day. Apparently kids with Down Syndrome (most of them anyway) have flat feet. These shoe inserts are supposed to give Ava some arch support as she is learning to bear weight on her feet. Now notice, the insert on the left is slightly bigger than the one on the right. That is because her left foot is 1/4" bigger than her right. Who knew? She also happens to have only one dimple on her right cheek, and bald patches only on the left side of her head. She even has, according to the dentist, an extra tooth (although I can't find it) to go along with her extra chromosome. How I love my assymetrical girl.
These shoes are called Wee Squeaks (or "Squeaker Sneakers" as Ava's therapist called them). Remember I blogged a few days ago about the special walking shoes I got at the children's boutique? Well they have a built-in squeaker, and they squeak when she takes a step. I am hoping this will be a motivator to get her up on her feet and walking!!!
And here is a video of her trying out her new sneakers. You'll even get to hear my sweet kids arguing in the background. More proof that they are not ALWAYS all that sweet.
Friday, June 13, 2008
Squeaker Sneakers
Posted by liesel at 3:08 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Us girls always have to have our shoes. Those are soooo neat. I didn't know they made such a thing.
Charissa, she's losing her "infant" look and is really looking like a toddler now!!! I cant get over how muchs she is changing.
I love her adorable brown and blue outfit. She is growing up so fast. She changes daily!
She'll be walking in no time! She is growing up so fast.
I can't get over how cute she is! I love how she's communicating and shaking her head no. (crawling video) Lucy commented how "adorable" (new favorite word) she is. She looks so healthy, happy and beautiful. You're such a good mom!
Oh, I love those shoes!!!
Charissa, I enjoy reading you blog and check it frequently. My 4 YO son was sitting on my lap while I was watching the video of Ava tapping her feet. My son asked what the squeaking noise was? I explained that Ava is learning to walk and each time she steps her shoes will squeak. He thought for a minute and asked, "Are her shoes wet?" LOL!
I just know she is going to be running VERY soon! She is darling! Stefanie
Yes, I love those! Payton had a pair of Wee Squeaks and people loved them. I remember being at a very busy playground and she was wearing them ... hey, at least I always knew where she was! LOL I hope they work for Ava!
I happened upon your blog through another blog. Your little sweetie is gorgeous!!!
Post a Comment