Will you be able to bring your daughter home after the first trip?
I have been surprised at the number of my friends who were surprised to find out that our adoption will require two trips. I was surprised because I thought I had done a lot of moaning and groaning about it over the past several months. Evidently my groaning was more inward than outward.
Yes, we have to make two trips, and yes, that does make it expensive! Our first SDA appointment is on Jan 22nd, and we expect to be there for three weeks. We return to the U.S. for a mandatory 10 day waiting period (or we could stay there for that time), then return to pick up our daughter. We expect to have her home for good by the end of February. The 10 day wait, or the appeals period, gives birth relatives a last chance to contest the adoption and resume custody of the child. It kind of stinks to think that this might be an option, after we have fallen head over heels in love with this little girl, and cannot imagine our lives without her, but this is just how it works, although we have been told it seldom happens.
I can certainly appreciate any efforts to reunite orphaned children with their birth families, but in our case, for very selfish reasons, we hope that is not how it plays out.
Saturday, January 05, 2008
The big question
Posted by liesel at 12:53 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Charissa, don't worry. This absolutely positively will not happen in your case. At all. No chance. Not one person has ever visited Ava in the years she has been there. So even if a relative showed up in the 11th hour (which won't happen - they don't publish these things or make them public in any way - it is a goofy law really) it is up to the judge to determine if it is better for the child to stay in Ukraine or leave. And I am 100% sure that the judge will deem in your favor - not that it will come to that. There is absolutely NO reason to even worry one second about this!!!!!
I had no idea.... did I receive this info earlier as a non-listening "I don't listen"stine? I'm confident God has this all worked out already.
We are doing two trips too. Can I ask you something? How did you find your daughter on the internet? Does she have special needs? Who is your agency? Thanks.
And thanks for the comments on my blog. I had no idea that you were leaving so soon. I will be posting other videos of our first few days with them, and probably a tour of their orphanange.
Post a Comment