McDonalds....coffee, but no internet
Does this sign say "internet" anywhere on it?
Locked. No answer at the door.
How do you say "internet" in russian?
Ah....Internet. High speed internet. The Opera Hotel downtown Kiev. Not only did they not charge us, but they said they would expect us back tomorrow. Ukraine has the nicest people!
It's been an interesting day. Spent much of the day looking for internet access for a way to contact home. We had a wonderful lunch. I wish I knew what it was, some kind of soup and a kind of pasta. The diet Coke here tastes way better. I am glad we didn't try to learn Russian. Most people seem to know at least a little english, and if not, they ask someone else to help us. The people have been very nice and accomodating.
We found out our SDA appointment is tomorrow at 3:00pm, that would be around 7am at home. We should be here in Kiev for a couple more days, and hope to take a train out by Wednesday to meet our daughter. It has been neat to experience a little bit of her culture, although truthfully and sadly, even she has not experienced her culture being stuck in a crib in an orphanage for her entire life. As I was eating my delicious soup today, thinking I'd like to find a recipe for her when I get back, I was reminded that even she has never tried anything so delicious.
We have been in phone contact with Meredith and Mike, but turns out we are opposite ends of the city. Once we can get some money exchanged and figure out how to summon a taxi, we would like to try to meet up with them tomorrow. And Kelly should be here tomorrow too. Kelly call me as soon as you get here.
Speaking of calling, my dad reminded me that I should mention the time difference. Our phone number is 011-32-044-234-8874. That will only be for tonight and tomorrow night. The Ukrainian clock is to the right side of the blog so don't be calling us at 2am!! We will probably be up till 10 or 11 our time.
I was trying to post more pictures but something weird happened. I'll try again tomorrow. We miss the kids but it sounds like they are doing well without us for now, and Opa and Oma will be coming tomorrow. How fun!
Monday, January 21, 2008
Our quest to find internet
Posted by The Urbans at 12:03 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
We hear you have good weather and we are so happy you arrived safely. We call every once in a while and your kids are doing great. I think it is not that they dont miss you as much as they have been a part of this process since the beginning. Be at peace. Everything is on time! Wish we had a picture of your faces the first time you see your daughter! And hers as well!! Love Oma
WOW! I am in awe of the adventure you are on right now. How beautiful your heart is. Blessings to you as you go through the process of welcoming your new little girl into your family.
Just wanted to drop you a note to say thanks for posting a comment on "I Know Something Good". A man who loves family is a treasure!
Thanks,
Becky
I'm so excited for you! Can you remind me the age you are hoping for?
So glad you've arrived safely. We'll be thinking of you as you go to your appointment tomorrow!
So glad to hear you're safe and sound. Thanks for the updates, we have been anxious to read them!
So glad to hear that you arrived safe and that have been able to get some rest! I hope that you are enjoying Kiev and that your appointment goes flawlessly tomorrow! You are in our prayers!
So glad to hear that you arrived safe and that have been able to get some rest! I hope that you are enjoying Kiev and that your appointment goes flawlessly tomorrow! You are in our prayers!
YAY!!!! You made it!!! keep the updates coming...
So glad to see that you finally arrived safely. I will be praying that all goes off without a hitch tomorrow! I can only imagine the excitement you must be feeling!
Christina
RR Yahoo group
Many prayers for you and may everything go well. I'm a friend of Meridiths. Been reading her blog and heard you are over there too.
God Bless!
Hello from Indiana,
Jeff and Sherri Sickafoose met you in O'Hare airport. I am reading their blog about their exciting adventure. My husband and i have known them for many years and live about 15 min from them. Why am I writing to you? We had a baby last year on Jan.22. She has Down Syndrome. We love her very much. She is funny and smart. She says da da and mama. She loves her brother 13 and her sister 8. She does not have any health problems. I just wanted to say you have courage to face the unknown. There is a lots of unknowns here but tomorrow Tessa will need love, a song or two from mom, a few laughs from Seth and Sophia and a diaper change, and a Big wave hello to dad. So she has Down Syndrome, but It's somthing she has it's not her.When I was pregnant I prayed this baby would fill our family with Joy, and she does. God Bless
you and your family.
Love In Christ,
Melissa Eiler
Larwill,Indiana
Love In Christ,
Melissa Eiler
Isn't technology amazing:) Thank you for keeping us posted and wishing you a fabulous time there with friends. Thoughts and prayers are with you.
Love,
Tina and Frikkie
Yippee!! You're there and I am praying that your ppointment went well. All of the RR aunties are on pins and needles waiting to hear from all our mommas and papas over in Ukraine!! Thanks for the updates! Love ya, Jill
Post a Comment