CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 31, 2008

A double blessing


This picture was given to us from Ava's file. Here she is when she was first brought to the orphanage

Is she in the same outfit four years later? I thought it was, but now that I've posted the pictures, I can see that they're different. So much for the point I was trying to prove! Well her toes were curled up in there anyway, and she couldn't stretch her legs out, so I'd say the orphanage needs some new clothes!

On the long, long train ride to Artemovsk a week ago, the night that we didn't sleep, I had a conversation with God. Things were moving so quickly and smoothly, and I was feeling so blessed, thanking Him for His provision along the way. We felt really special when, out of the 200+ people waiting in Chicago for the Munich flight, the ticket agent approached US and offered $1,800 cash to take the next flight....almost the cost of our tickets!

As I thanked the Lord that night for His provision, it dawned on me. The refund was not meant for us. We had wanted all along to purchase some things for the orphanage while we were in Ukraine, and all along we said to ourselves, "I wish we could do more". But adoption is so expensive as it is, there's not much left over in the end to give away.

On the train ride, it hit me. The money was not meant for us, it was meant for THEM, the orphans. And John agreed. We knew the Lord would provide the last of our adoption expenses in another way.

So we went to work today shopping at the outdoor market (cold!). It was the first time I have ever seen John excited about shopping! We bought clothes, diapers, toothbrushes, toothpaste, tights, baby soap, and shampoo. We are going to leave some money with the orphanage to replace some old windows (the orphanage must be over 100 years old), and we talked to the director (through Viktor of course) about sending some equipment for the handicapped children who are confined to their cribs, some walkers, or wheelchairs. She seemed thrilled. We showed her pictures from the Little Lighthouse, and although we don't know where to purchase them now, we plan to "shop" with our airfare refund when we get back home and ship them back here.

It is certainly fun to lay up treasures in heaven (Mt. 6:19-21).

Today I got an email that we were approved for a low-interest adoption loan that we applied for a few weeks ago. It will cover the last of our expenses and can be paid back slowly, and even not until our tax credit next year. So once again, God provides and He is faithful. And we are glad to be his servants.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather and I went to Johnny's blog site and we LOVE the picture of Ava in the baby sling looking at you! Heather wants one! Where did you get it? So awesome what you all are doing! Heather and I thought what fun to shop for the babies!!!! love ya bunches...ps ur dad is hilarious posting from Bliss...loved it! Janell & Heather

Tim Rovenstine said...

Sounds like indeed you are doing the right thing. God does say something about watching out for people who have concern for the widows and orphans.

Valerie said...

You and John are amazing people Charissa and I admire you so much! What an incredible blessing you are to the orphanage! You are truly an instrument in the Lord's hands!

Valerie said...

PS- Isn't the outdoor market fun!? Richard and I absolutely loved shopping there (although we were definitely a bit cold when we were done)!

The Spicer Family said...

Beautiful, Charissa, that God provided for your heartfelt desire to provide for the least of these in Ava's orphanage. It's so like Him to do that. Thank you for sharing about the ways he has provided for you! Love you!! jill

Anonymous said...

Praise God for His provision! Of course that's what God wants you to do! How wonderful that you heard Him. Sometimes we can get so busy in life that we miss Him. Especially with all you have going on now!
It brought tears to my eyes, knowing what a blessing it will be to the orphans left behind.
I know you are blessed already!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful testimony of God's goodness. Thank you for sharing.
Charissa, where did you get the sling you are holding Ava in for the picture John has on his blog? That looks like a wonderful way to carry her and bond with her. What a beautiful little princess.
~Lisa (RR)

Bethany said...

That baby photo is truly precious! I love what you are doing for the orphanage ... I plan to send a care package myself. :) Do you have any suggestions on what would be the best to send?

Michelle said...

wow..you guys are amazing.

Aubrie said...

I am so proud of the family I am a part of more and more every day.

Tina Koen said...

Wow:) God must be smiling down on you guys. What a blessing you are to the least of these. We look forward to hearing about your court appointment. God bless.
Tina

cara said...

Where were you able to get a low interest adoption loan? Can you share the information with us? Cara
www.norbycjukraineangel.blogspot.com
norbycj@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful testimony, Charissa! God is so good to always provide. And He provides extra blessings to those He knows He can trust to give where they are needed. He is truly using you, not just to change little Ava's life, but the lives of all those other precious orphans and the workers, too. Who knows how many people you have touched.

:)
Justine