CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Day 3- Big smiles!!!!

I just want to say how much we love this little girl! I'm sorry if I freaked anybody out a couple of days ago. I still can't get over the overwhelming feelings of that day. I had heard of parents who cannot bond right away with their adopted child. I always said that would NEVER be me. And lo and behold, it was me. The combination of no sleep, no food, adrenaline rush, culture shock, the sudden news that she might not be our child after all, smelling the urine as we walked down the halls, hearing all the little orphans crying to be picked up.....and then on top of everything else, realizing the child they were putting in our arms was not the same child we dreamed of for the last 7 months, one week and four days....It was all just too much to process all at once, and I just shut down. I have never experienced anything quite like that before, but then again there are alot of firsts in international adoption. Thankfully it was love at first sight for John, and soon afterwards for me as well. Sometimes I get mad at myself for being too transparent, yet then I realize sometimes our transparency can be helpful to someone else, and in our case this week, it was transparency that triggered so many prayers and support from home, and I am eternally grateful for that. I hope I didn't frighten any soon-to-be adoptive parents. All is well. No worries.
Three days with her and we have already noticed big changes, and have had some special bonding times. Day 3 John put her in the ball pit. I am quite sure she has never been in the ball pit before, that would be a privilege only for "higher functioning" orphans. At first she just sat there, and then her little hands started moving around, feeling the plastic balls, she can't quite pick things up yet but I could see that she wanted to. She was feeling around the balls and then she discovered something she liked better: her daddy's hairy arm. She softly stroked up and down his arm. We already see the 'love gene' in her that is so common in people with Down Syndrome.

She continues to lick John's whiskers, which we both find hilarious, although I'm not sure people back home will find it so entertaining. We'll worry about manners training later, and for now let her lick us as it seems this is her way of getting to know us. We keep thinking he needs to shave, but she seems to like his beard so much, he has just left it for her. While in the ball pit, John tossed a couple of balls up, and she broke out into a spontaneous laugh. This is the first laugh we've gotten out of her without being tickled. She laughed because it was funny!!! (check out John's blog for a video). I'm telling you, she is already coming alive! We are so excited to get her home and around her big brothers and sisters. I know she will find all sorts of interesting entertainment there. She will be so loved. I think I'll trust the older three to carry her, but I keep imagining Hope trying to drag her around and dress her up in her baby doll clothes! That's another one I'll worry about later I guess! :)

Hi Simeon, Liesel, Jude and Hope... Will you play with me?

14 comments:

Tina Koen said...

Charissa, you need not apologize for being real. Transparency is uncomfortable as it makes you vulnerable, but as you said, God can use this to help others, and that is what I believe you have done on your blog... in a good way. Thank you for sharing your fears and heart with us, and for making us feel very much a part of your adoption journey. You inspire others...as you certainly have us, and we look forward to stepping into what God can use our heart and passion for. I think Ava licking John's beard is so sweet...something I wouldn't change:) We would love to chat if it works, but we need a number. Before I get long winded, just know that we love you guys and our thoughts and prayers are with you always. God bless.
Tina and Frikkie

Tim Rovenstine said...

I find myself wanting to get up early just to read your blog. Looks like you have ample support, life is lived better with goals and purpose, and and eye for steady as she goes, looks like the plan is working out and we'll real happy. This will make our cup of coffee even more rich this a.m.

Anonymous said...

I got up at 5 a.m, here in Oklahoma and Opa read the blog to me. I have just this to say.
I think Ava is really cute. I miss you guys, I love you, hurry home and bring Ava. Simeon.

Stefanie and Bill said...

Charissa, thank you for vulnerability. It is priceless. International adoption is so different for every family and this is your journey. Praise God for the blessing that both of you have found in one another. Ava is a diamond in the rough, but then again aren't we all through God's eyes? May God continue to lead your path.
Stefanie

Anonymous said...

We miss you alot. It was fun to talk to you on the phone. That's all I wanted to tell you, end of Quote.

amyl4 said...

Charissa, it is so good to hear that Ava is bonding with you all! The licking thing cracks me up! Now I am off to see your video!!
Have fun with your sweet little girl!
Amy

Stephanie said...

Wow Charissa, The color in her face has even changed. Probably just for being up and moving more! She's already looking healthier! Don't apologize for anything! Friends are here to help in difficult times and when you needed us we all pulled through for you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Charissa and John,
Thanks for sharing all of the wondeful news. I'm singing praises to God for all he has done for you and for little Ava. She is so beautiful!!
My little Alex is very weak and has just recently started putting weight on his legs...with lots of support. He reminds me a little of Kermit the frog when they have Kermit sitting on something with his legs dangling on the Muppet Show. LOL He is coming along slowly, but all kids with DS are different. My Alex is 3 yrs old and he's had plenty of therapy. They just move at their own pace. I just wanted to encourage you. Alex has some braces (he doesn't wear them all the time) and we are getting him a stander. I'm sure we'll see big changes in the next year...and so will you!
Sincerely,
Lisa (RR)

Anonymous said...

Oh Charissa,
We are just praising Jesus here for what he has begun in your family's life!

Karen S. RR

P.S. I love the tights!!!! Every little girl needs tights like that!

Michelle said...

she already looks different...focused. She was waiting for you, huh? Charrissa, I have a book here we dont need anymore, once you get home holler. It is Gross Motor Skills for Children With DS. I would expect it would come in real handy for you all, it shows lots of strengthening games and fun stuff to build her little body up. If you would like it, its yours. I may have some others as well.
mome23kjnc@roadrunner.com

Michelle said...

I love the video of her laughing! And licking John's whiskers...that is hilarious! I wonder if she does that b/c it feels good on her tongue ( I mean it's like a new sensory input for her)...like the first time a baby touches the grass or feels something new. That must be her way of discovering something new to her :o) If she's not using her hands just yet, then she is a SMART cookie to know to use her tongue to figure things out!!! You're sure bringing home a sweet baby, Charissa and John. **Just a funny little aside...last night our family went to a basket ball game with the Down Syndrome Association, and the gal who had the tickets for us was "Charissa"...she introduced herself to us, and my first thought was, "I wonder how Charissa and John and Ava are?" :o)

Michelle (In Cincinnati, Ohio)

Shelley said...

I"m so glad to read your update and to know that you are seeing Ava come alive before your eyes. What I always remember and I hope that you will too is that you are luckier than most parents who adopt a 4 year old....you are going to get to see all of her firsts! You are so blessed and I'm so happy for your family!

Unknown said...

No need to apologize Charissa! Those emotions are very real and actually very normal. I remember feeling many of the same emotions the first time I saw Joshua and it was overwhelming. I was a bit more prepared for the "reality" of it all when we met Evan for the first time, but as with Josh, it took some time to get to know him and really establish that motherly bond/love.

I can tell you one thing. . .you will be absolutely amazed at how she blossoms once she is home and surrounded by a loving family (and lots of good food and medical care). I constantly marvel at how much my boys are thriving and how much they have already achieved in the short time that they have been home! I cannot wait to see Ava grow and thrive as I know she will in your beautiful family!

junglemama said...

Your love for your daughter shines through! Thanks for leaving me feeling so uplifted by your posts. You two are truly amazing people.