I have never seen the power of prayer more evident that I did yesterday. We started out the day full of unrest and fears and questions, and by the time we layed in our bed last night, we were filled with peace and joy in our hearts. After my last post, we got a good meal (finally), took a nap, had a cup of coffee, and spent some time in prayer.
We both agreed that we had come all this way for Ava, and birth father or not, we would not leave her here.She needs us, and we need her too.
So she is more delayed than we expected. Of course she is! She has spent all four of her years of life in a crib looking at white walls. She is malnourished, dehydrated, vitamin and protein deficient, lacking in stimulation. Just getting her in our home will make a world of difference. John said, "Even if she doesn't walk, so what? We'll just strap her on our backs and carry her until she gets too heavy, and then we'll get her a wheelchair." :) Do you see why I love that man so much? Happiness really has nothing to do with the ability to walk anyway.
So after making the decision, we began to feel tremendous peace. We missed our chance to see her in the morning (miscommunication on the visitation times), so we spent the afternoon taking a nap and doing paperwork. We gave her her name: Ava Alina Grace Urban.
On the way to the orphanage at 3:30, we began to pray for a second chance of special bonding time with her, and that the Lord would encourage us with signs of life in her. Then I realized, her name means life! Ava means life! When they brought her to me the second time, a love came over me like I can't explain. Not just a godly kind of love, but a maternal love! I held her in my arms and stroked her bald head, held her dry crusty hands, and rocked her emaciated pale little body, as John played "When Love Takes You In" by Steven Curtis Chapman. We both wept as we had the most beautiful time of bonding with her. Later I put her on my tummy and we looked at each other face to face and she looked into my eyes for a long time. She had an inquisitive look. She looked at John too, and stared into his eyes, and after a little bit she leaned in to him and started licking his whiskers!! (Hey-it's a start). It was so cute and it was cracking us up!
She was mesmerized by his iphone! She loves music, and followed the iphone with her eyes. She tracks and follows very well, which is huge!! Then I remembered the teddy bear that the kids had put together for her, and we got that out. I'm sure she has never seen a teddy bear that sings before. Especially one that has her brothers and sisters' voices on it.
We both agreed that we had come all this way for Ava, and birth father or not, we would not leave her here.She needs us, and we need her too.
So she is more delayed than we expected. Of course she is! She has spent all four of her years of life in a crib looking at white walls. She is malnourished, dehydrated, vitamin and protein deficient, lacking in stimulation. Just getting her in our home will make a world of difference. John said, "Even if she doesn't walk, so what? We'll just strap her on our backs and carry her until she gets too heavy, and then we'll get her a wheelchair." :) Do you see why I love that man so much? Happiness really has nothing to do with the ability to walk anyway.
So after making the decision, we began to feel tremendous peace. We missed our chance to see her in the morning (miscommunication on the visitation times), so we spent the afternoon taking a nap and doing paperwork. We gave her her name: Ava Alina Grace Urban.
On the way to the orphanage at 3:30, we began to pray for a second chance of special bonding time with her, and that the Lord would encourage us with signs of life in her. Then I realized, her name means life! Ava means life! When they brought her to me the second time, a love came over me like I can't explain. Not just a godly kind of love, but a maternal love! I held her in my arms and stroked her bald head, held her dry crusty hands, and rocked her emaciated pale little body, as John played "When Love Takes You In" by Steven Curtis Chapman. We both wept as we had the most beautiful time of bonding with her. Later I put her on my tummy and we looked at each other face to face and she looked into my eyes for a long time. She had an inquisitive look. She looked at John too, and stared into his eyes, and after a little bit she leaned in to him and started licking his whiskers!! (Hey-it's a start). It was so cute and it was cracking us up!
She was mesmerized by his iphone! She loves music, and followed the iphone with her eyes. She tracks and follows very well, which is huge!! Then I remembered the teddy bear that the kids had put together for her, and we got that out. I'm sure she has never seen a teddy bear that sings before. Especially one that has her brothers and sisters' voices on it.
Here she is with the box of kisses from her brothers and sisters. Thank you Simeon, Liesel, Jude and Hope. Ava doesn't know how to kiss you back yet, but maybe she'll give it a lick or two for you.
I stole this hairbow off the teddy bear and put it on her little tuft of hair. She was reminding me too much of Jimmy Neutron without it. Notice the rash on her arms and face. We patted her bottom and rubbed her back, and all we could feel were her bones and ribs. :(


Doesn't she look cute with the hat Oma made for her? We absolutely love her!!! She will fit so well in our family.
As we walked out of the orphanage, we both left crying and laughing at the same time. We both agreed it was a good day.
Last night when we got online, we saw the flood of email messages in response to my last depressing post. We read each message together and we wept again thinking of God's faithfulness to use so many of you to encourage us, and confirm in our hearts what he had shown us. We no longer felt isolated, but instead surrounded by your prayers, love and support. No wonder our day went so well! From the bottom of our hearts we thank you for joining us on this adoption journey.
They say international adoption is like a roller coaster ride. It's a good thing we like roller coasters. I hope you do too.


21 comments:
All is well on your home front in Oklahoma. The siblings of Ava are watching your every move, hanging onto every word. Life is like a mountain railroad, with an Engineer that braves...a song comes to mind, watch the trestles, the curves.. Thanks for technology that allows us to feel so close, even though we are so far. I'll tell the troops that all systems are Go. Be blessed
What a blessing to read your post this morning! After reading Shelley's blog about Xander's progress, I think similarly you'll have a new little girl when you have a chance to love on (and feed) Ava. Can't wait to see the pictures!!
Markay
YAY!!!!!!!!!!! She is strong, can you feel her tugging at your heart strings :)
I can NOT wait until you get the pictures posted!!!!
Crying tears of joy here, Charissa! I've told you time and again that's who you are, a loving and godly woman...and Ava is in wonderful hands. Please know it will be a privilege to keep you in my prayers. Much love to you, jill
Charissa, I am so Happy for you and Ava. She is such a beautiful little girl and she so deserves all of the love your whole family will give to her. She will reward you more than you have ever imagined, just by being the precious child she is. I love her new name!!!!
Amy
alright, no fair. John saying he would strap her to his back has me undone already. And that song, it has been in my heart since the first day I heard it.
Ava is going to blossom, and I look SO forward to welcoming her to the DS community and the wonderful world of unconditional love. Congratualtions Urbans, the ride has begun in earnest now.
I am sitting here with tears streaming and I don't even know you! LOL This is so awesome. You guys, Ava is going to surpass your expectations in so many way, I can't wait for you to feel the joy of that. There aren't many kids with DS that don't walk, even if they did spend their first four years in a crib. She will get there in her own due time, just like with everything else. Yay!
Praise the Lord! You have me in tears! His heart is for the orphan and He performs miracles right before our eyes. Ava is beautiful!!! And you are beautiful!!!!
(I'm friends with Karen S. and Jill S.--and I'm passionate about adoption) :)
Okay I am commenting again because this time I have seen your pictures. She is so pretty, I can't get over how much she looks like all of you. You can tell by your pictures, she KNOWS she is loved by you! I'm so happy for you and John! Thank you for sharing Ava's pictures and your journey with us!
Amy
AAWWWWW!!! I cant wait until you get to leave the orphanage with her!! I bet you can't wait to smother her in really good lotion!!!! I think you will be surprised at how much she blossoms and comes to life once she gets adequate nutrition!
God is great! Crying tears of joy, and will be adding a prayer of thanksgiving today.
What a great post to wake up to. She is just so beautiful and it is great that she will be coming home. Love the bow in her hair. We are praying for all of you.
We are so happy this morning; I was counting the hours to when you may be able to get to an internet connection. PTL, she has the sweetest smile, what a little angel! We will continue to pray and ask all of our friends to add theirs too.
Kara has rosacea on her face and really dry skin, so we slather her in lotion. Skin issues are pretty common with our kids with Down syndrome. I am sure improved nutrition will help Ava too.
I am so happy for all of you! She is such a pretty little girl and you will soon have her home and be able to start feeding her all kinds of yummy foods. It won't be too long and she'll have chubby little cheeks to show for how love and cared for she is!
Praise the Lord Charissa and John!! There is nothing like the peace of the Lord. She is absolutely beautiful and has such an adorable expressive face. That look she is giving John in the picture where they are snuggled up is just priceless. Your faith has really moved me and made me increase my faith. Bless you both and little Ava too :)
Kelly S
RR Yahoo Group
Charissa and John. I am so full of joy for you both and for your precious gift...AVA GRACE! Im here crying like a baby for you all. God's peace is so awesome and full of comfort. Please know we stepped out of the safety boat when we adopted our first daughter Giovanna with DS. WE had not much experience with it and no bio child with DS....so i understand your fear. But please know, once Ava is home and in the safety of your forever home.....she too will blossom like a beautiful rose....
Go in peace my sister...we love you all
Rita
RR
So happy to hear about your wonderful day with Ava! She is beautiful, and you are blessed to have each other. I look forward to hearing about each visit in the coming days!
Christina
RR Group
I'm so glad to hear your GREAT update Charissa! And those photos... She is a beautiful little girl, I can't wait to see her home and all dolled up. She has gorgeous eyes. I'm ecstatic about you and Ava!
Anna
Hi!
I have been following your adoption journey for a long time and I am so happy with the good news! Ava is a really beautiful girl and I am so happy she is with you!
John and Charissa, she is absolutely precious. Writing through tears and giving praise to God for His goodness. As I've said before to Charissa, you embody LOVE, and your example will live on forever in our hearts.
Love, Tina and Frikkie
I love the pictures and I am praising God for His revelation of the Truth behind her birth father's motives. What a peace came over me as I read your words! God is so good! Ava has no idea how much love is waiting for her in Tulsa! Her little world is about to be redeemed! Thanks for posting pictures. Keep them coming even after you get home for those of us so far we can only blow kisses. Can't wait till May when we can love on her in person!
Post a Comment