CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Court Date

We found out today that our court date is set for this Friday. We have to get dressed up and answer a bunch of questions, such as "Why do you want to adopt a child who will need care for the rest of her life?", and "How will you provide a good life for her?", etc. We have to get all dressed up. Hopefully I can find an iron around here somewhere.

Some of you have asked whether we can bring Ava home this trip. The law says that there is mandatory waiting period of 10 days between the time we are given permission to adopt the child, and the time we can physically take custody of her and begin the process of getting passport and visa. Some parents stay in the country to finish out the wait, and others go back home and return for the child once the 10 day "appeals period" is finished.

Our plan is to return home for the wait. Technically the law states that in very unique situations the wait period can be waived, for example when the child is in urgent need of medical care. Our facilitator told us that he has never actually seen this done, and is urging us not to get our hopes up, however, he is going to request it. Thankfully we brought brochures from the Little Lighthouse showing the kind of therapy she will receive, and Viktor plans to show the judge in order to plead our case. Perhaps when the judge sees how tiny she is......maybe, just maybe? We can pray, and we will pray. Maybe you would pray with us too. The judge is a woman, and maybe that will help. (No offense against men).

While we wait for court we go up to visit Ava twice a day at the orphanage in a room the call the "music" room. I guess they call it that because there is a piano in there but I have never actually seen it played. I was also very happy to see that on weekdays there is a physical therapist (I assume) who works with the kids in the special needs room. They love the therapy. I heard so many giggles coming out of them while being rolled on the giant ball and doing somersaults on the mat. So they do get out of their cribs after all! I am not sure if they have done any work with Ava or not. There are some very delightful children in that room. I got to hold one in particular today and my friend Stephanie will be very jealous when she finds out who it was!

I am missing home!!! I am so thankful John is here, I can't imagine being in a foreign country alone. Things that I am missing from home:
1. MY KIDS!
2. My coffee pot- Normally we would just get a cup "to go" somewhere but I guess there is no such thing as that here. Either you go into a restaurant and sit down, or you make your own. We have resorted to buying an electric teapot, and making instant coffee with hot water.
3. My washer and dryer-We are washing clothes in the bath tub and hanging them over chairs and closet doors to dry.
4. High speed internet
5. Church
6. My Bible (I brought a tiny New Testament with Psalms to conserve suitcase space and either it got left in Kiev at the apartment or it's hidden in one of the hundreds of side pockets somewhere)
7. Hanging out with my sister
8. My calendar-I can't figure out what day it is
9. My bed- we are both sleeping on a twin!
10.Breakfast! The only breakfast we have found consists of soup, bread, cabbage, carrots, beets, rice, chicken, fish, liver...You get the idea. When I wake up, I'm craving french toast, or hashbrowns and eggs. NEVER beets or carrots! This morning I ate buckwheat with soup for breakfast, and yesterday it was chicken and rice. Wonder what tomorrow will be.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will be praying that they will waive the 10 day period so you can bring her home faster

Stephanie said...

DID YOU???? YOU DIDN'T???? I am jealous!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Aaack! I just remembered TODAY to check your blog! Of course I had to go back and read posts from the last two weeks. I'm so glad things are going well. We'll be praying for you! (now that I remember-sorry about that!)

:)
Justine

Anonymous said...

I am praying with you that the waiting period will be waived. Now about that breakfast food - no one should be offered liver for breakfast - that is disgusting! How about some eggs and bacon instead.

Kayla

Anonymous said...

I missed my calendar too! I just drew out one on a piece of paper. I used it very often!

Valerie said...

I'm so glad to hear that you have your court date. We had a female judge as well. . .maybe it is the same judge?! If so, she is a very nice woman!

Have you tried the yogurt yet? If not, I highly recommend it. The yogurt in Ukraine is the best I have ever had and made a great breakfast (usually eaten in addition to bananas and the delicious bread with an apple filling).

Tina Koen said...

Thanks for updating us. We will be praying that your court hearing goes really well:) Also, so nice to hear about another culture and to see pictures too. Technology is amazing, and the Apple is great John:) You're almost there...
Tina and Frikkie

Anonymous said...

We will be praying with you over the court date and over the 10 day waiting period being waived. I have to say that I look forward each day to coming home and finding out what has been going on with Ava and you both. I've been thinking about this summer when we make our annual trip to Tulsa that we get to meet her too! My kids are saying things like, "are you in there looking at Ava again?" when I disappear into the office.

amyl4 said...

A court date this Friday, Wow that is great! I will pray for that 10 day wait to be waived! Thanks for all the updates, I can't wait till it's my turn!
Amy

Michelle said...

Charissa - You need to find out where Valerie went for breakfast - yogurt and apple bread trumps cabbage and liver ANYDAY :o) Praying for the 10 day wait period to be waived!!

Michelle (Cincinnati, Ohio)

junglemama said...

So glad to hear of your courtdate! I'll be praying for your 10 days to be waived. Thanks for being so honest in your posts. It gives me realistic expectations for when we travel. God bless.

liesel said...

Stephanie,
YES I DID!! And he is even more delightful in person than you imagined, and much chubbier. He can't walk but he crawls all over the place. He had the chicken pox like everyone else in that room, so just imagine him with blue dots all over his face. Ava was wearing the same red and white lacy jumper that first day....did you notice? Maybe that's why I had trouble bonding with her the first day. I kept thinking of you-know-who! :)

Tami said...

YEA! That was pretty quick...or am I just slow on the uptake?! :) You're right...the days all run together here and I'm not entirely sure of the date. We'll be praying for your 10 days to be waived. Can't wait to read about court! :)

Anonymous said...

Praying for your court date and that the judge will open her heart and have compassion for little Ava and waive the 10 days. I just love reading your blog, hope you don't mind :)

Kelly S
RR Yahoo Group

Anonymous said...

Praying for your court date and that the judge will open her heart and have compassion for little Ava and waive the 10 days. I just love reading your blog, hope you don't mind :)

Kelly S
RR Yahoo Group