CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, January 05, 2008

Singing Mommy Bunny

My friend Shelley, who I met through the amazing world of online technology, had this great idea. In an effort to help their 2 yr. old daughter cope with their absence while they were overseas adopting their son, Shelley took her child to Build A Bear and made a "mommy bear" containing Shelley's voice. Shelley and her husband adopted Xander (who also has Down Syndrome) from the same orphanage where we will be in just a little over two weeks. Xander and Ava were best friends, in fact, so that makes Shelley pretty special to me. So I stole Shelley's idea and took Hope to Build a Bear on Friday.



I am not sure what Shelley's mommy bear said exactly, but for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to record myself singing Hope's nightly bedtime lullaby. I pictured her laying in her bed at night as she misses me, pressing the bunny's paw and hearing her mother's awful, yet familiar singing voice. I pictured her being comforted by this, and repeating it night after night in the privacy of her bedroom.

What I didn't think about, was the fact that Hope would be walking around the house with Mommy bunny, taking her on car rides, public places, and friends' houses, pressing the paw again and again and again...and again...for everyone in earshot to hear MY terrible singing! I now know why I never attempted to make a career out of singing, and I now know that if I ever attempt Build A Bear again I will leave my voice out of it altogether! (I still love the idea Shelley, I'm just a little embarrassed as that thing is now sewn in there permanantly).

And by the way she named her bunny Tika (I don't have a clue why). She didn't want to call her Mommy Bunny like I suggested, because she said, "Mommy, she's NOT your bunny, she's MY bunny!")

Afterwards, we ate lunch with Dad. Tika sat in a booster chair and the waitress brought Tika her very own meal. (In case anyone is wondering, NO we did order a salad for a stuffed rabbit, although I found it very cute, and we got a lot of chuckles from our neighbors).

7 comments:

Dalene said...

Brilliant idea. AND I happen to know that you have a GREAT singing voice. I have my own "Walk Like an Egyptian" tape to prove it. Thank you Six Flags for making recording available to the masses.

Stephanie said...

Charissa, i'm pretty sure you can take the bunny back to build a bear and have the sound removed. but i'm sure you sound wonderful... atleast to Hope

amyl4 said...

That is just so cute! Love the bunny and your little Hope is precious!!
Amy

Christina said...

That is a wonderful idea..I have a friend who is adopting and will be traveling soon...I will have to tell her about this!

Anonymous said...

Shelley seems to have the best ideas!!! I was fortunate to have her for a room mate while in Ukraine.
Having been in Ukraine and missing my children so much I would recommend a Build A Bear with your little girl singing to you!
Good luck and I will be anxious to hear how things are going for you there.
~Donna Robel

Shelley said...

For the record, I did NOT sing!!!! Zoie's bear said "Mommy loves you".....and that bear is still going strong months later!

Nataliya said...

Very cute! I also stole Shelley's idea, and it was a big hit with my daughter. She also took her Mommy Bear everywhere and let everyone hear me saying to her in Russian "I love you". We didn't order a separate meal for the Mommy bear though :) What a great idea!