CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Hope's special photo album

On the night of August 15, 2001, I went into labor with my third child. I remember when the contractions started, I went into Liesel's bedroom and picked her up from her sleep, and I just rocked her and rocked her. And I cried and cried. She was only 16 months old. Still such a baby, and surely not ready to be the "big sister", I thought. Would she feel like she missed out? Will I be able to give her all the love and attention she needed with all the demands of a newborn too?

Liesel and Jude are 6 and 7 now. I laugh now when I think back to the emotions of that night. Right now as I type they are playing catch with stuffed animals. They are more like friends than brother and sister. She was fine. She didn't suffer a bit. We survived.

Once again, I am having those feelings, this time about Hope. Will she miss us terribly while we're gone? Will she wonder if we abandoned her? Will she feel jealous that she won't be the "baby" anymore, and how will she feel when we get off the airplane with this strange little girl who now gets ALL the attention?

Hope and I spent some time making a photo album last week. I put in pictures from her birth, infancy, pictures of mom and dad, brothers and sisters, including Ava, cousins, grandparents, fun times we've had. When we finished, she got very upset that there were some blank sleeves and not enough pictures to fill them. So we got creative and made our own photos.


Here is daddy and his famous towel swing. Ava is looking over his shoulder waiting for her turn.


We all got a big laugh out of this one: Daddy with long painted fingernails. She also showed me how daddy danced the ballet in her dream. I'll save that one for another blog post. (And look how sweet Ava is. Soon she'll be riding in daddy's back pack carrier and not laying in that crib all day).


And no laughing at my drawings!!

5 comments:

amyl4 said...

This is the most precious book I have ever seen! Your children are very blessed to have you for a mother!
Amy

Anonymous said...

I loved this blog! I am sure you had more than 100 things to do that day besides drawing pictures but you sure made memories as well as a wonderful tool for when Opa and I get there to babysit next week! You are a great artist and Hope takes after you, however, I thought in the last picture instead of flowers you were sporting a beard!! Ha! Oma

Stephanie said...

Wow, did Hope draw the flowers and people? If so that's pretty darn impressive coming from a 3 yr old!! But it looks like its in the genes as you are an amazing artist too!!!

Hope will be fine, she'll adjust and will love being a big sister who can help mommy with ava.. of course there will be some jealousy but they wouldnt be siblings if there wasnt some : ) Dont forget to give each kid special time alone (i know that you will!), and all will be good!

Christina said...

The fact that you took the time to sit down and do these projects with Hope when you probably have about 1,00 other things you *could* have been doing shows that NONE of your children, regardless of birth order will ever miss out on anything! You are a wonderful mom, Charissa and you will be just as wonderful with five children as you are with four. I know what you mean though about having another child when your other is so young....Lindsay and Jake are exactly 13 months apart to the day! They are SO close! Neither one really knows what life is like without the other one. Lindsay was so young when Jake was born...she does not remember life without him! Many hugs to you as you get so close to leaving for the final step in your journey to bring your new little girl home.

Christina from RR

Terra said...

Charissa,
Marlita gave me your blog website today at MOPS and I have spent a couple of hours today catching up on your incredible journey to adopt your daughter. I know we don't know each other that well, but I think you are an amazing mother. I loved reading this particular post. I am praying for you and John and precious Ava.
Terra Schultheis