
She still licks even after a shave!!
A little Ukrainian Babushka
Who is this guy and why does he keep kissing me?
She likes to hear me sing!
Look at the t-shirts...Opa has been busy!
Well we are ready just to pack her up and take her home. It just won't be the same until we are ALL together. Unfortunately there is so much paperwork and red tape. I can think of a hundred ways to make this process quicker and easier. Gone are the days when people would find a basket on their doorstep with a wrapped bundle of joy inside. Those were the days.
Our facilitator, Viktor hopes to have our paperwork submitted to the SDA tomorrow. Then we wait for our court date. We could hear the same day, or we could hear in a week. Our court date could be set for right away, or it could be set for a week later. Next we have a mandatory 10 day "appeals period" where we have the option to back out of the adoption, or the birth family has the option to reclaim their rights as legal guardians. We plan to come home during this wait, then come back for the last part....obtaining Visa and passport, etc.
So we just wait....Meanwhile we get two visits a day at the orphanage, morning and afternoon. It's funny though, because we are not allowed to be there during nap time or meal time. So we still have NO clue how this child eats, goes to sleep, what her routine is. When she had a dirty diaper earlier I wanted to change her and they wouldn't let me. So I'm her mother....but I'm not. In this culture, the children are bundled up with layers and layers, even when it's not cold. They bring her to us in coats and blankets and hats, and they scold us when we remove them. So when in Ukraine, we do like the Ukrainians, and leave the bundles on. I wish I could see her little body, but that will have to wait until she is really ours. We did sneak a peak at her belly button and she has an outie!! Seeing her little ribs was heartbreaking. When we pick her up we hear little joints squeaking and popping. She feels like a little old lady. :)
The first things that I'm going to do when I get her out of here is give her a bath and scrub her good, clean out her ears, brush her teeth. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with her hair. I think I'll shave it bald so it can grow out evenly. Any other suggestions? You might notice all the pictures we have posted are from the side thad has hair. It's obvious she favors one side, because her left side is balder and flatter, it must be the side she lays on in order to see the other children and activities out of her crib.
Valerie and her husband adopted a little boy in December from the special needs room where Ava and the other handicapped children reside (6 cribs crammed into a tiny room the size of some walk-in closets). She sent some crib mobiles for the babies to look up since they are rarely held or stimulated. You should have seen all the hands reaching up as we walked through the room. They crave stimulation so much!! By the way, Valerie, when we walked in earlier today, Nick was content staring up at his new mobile.
Will continue to post more. We found an internet cafe finally with a better connection so it is getting easier to post pictures. Thanks again everyone for your prayers and thoughts. It is so wonderful to be in contact in this way!!!
Sunday, January 27, 2008
So Much Paperwork!
Posted by The Urbans at 12:14 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
You have one beautiful little princess there. She fits right in with you. Congrats!!!!
Charissa and John,
It is such a blessing to follow your adoption story. Ava is a beautiful girl, and I'm so glad that God brought you all together. The video of Ava in the balls, as well as all the other pics are so special. Thank you so much for your transparency in sharing your heart! You have my prayers.
It will be an answer to prayers for Ava to have parents like you. Love you guys!!!
Papaw & Grandma Urban
Simeons team lost...5-4 he scored one goal. Thought you needed to know this. Secondary implications or ripple effects stem from this blogspot. I'm glad you have something interesting to blog about.
Simeons team lost...5-4 he scored one goal. Thought you needed to know this. Secondary implications or ripple effects stem from this blogspot. I'm glad you have something interesting to blog about.
Hello!
I found your blog while looking at another family's... what a wonderful inspiration you are! Your little girl is beautiful and is SO lucky that you have come to take her home!
We adopted from Ukraine in 2006 - and seeing alot of John's pictures and the humourous commentary brings back fond memories!
Wishing you and your family the best!
Amy
Charissa, I can't wait to check my computer every day to see how things are progressing over there for the three of you....Dan and I and all the kids are so excited for you...Lucy jumped up and down when I told her Ava is yours and not staying w/ the birth father. Big Hugs to you!
Kirsten.
I feel like I am waiting on a soap opera to unfold, but instead it is this real life situation that is so wonderful, precious and heartwarming (if that makes any sense). Thanks for sharing all of this. Have a blessed day, I'll keep reading for more!
Ava is sooooo beautiful and precious...a magnificent gift of God. We'll pray that your journey progresses smoothly and that God gives you wisdom at every turn, as He has already.
The Hollands
I can't wait until ya'll bring her home !! && I want to hear ALL about the orphanage !! Love you guys, and tell Ava I love her too !
-Heather
You have no idea how happy it makes me to follow your adventure and to see the three of you together! Tears come to my eyes every time I see Ava's sweet smile and how happy she is with her wonderful mommy and daddy.
Thank you so, so much for taking the mobiles for me. I cried when I thought of Nick laying contently in his crib, looking at his mobile (instead of rocking back and forth)! My heart cries out in prayer every day for all of those sweet babies! I am just so glad that another one of them has found her loving home!
Wow, there is so much to catch up with, since I last logged on to your blog. I am so happy that you are bonding and coming to see what a blessing you will be and she will be to your family.
You didn't need to apologize in your earlier post. You were being honest with your feelings and that also helps others realise that it is a normal process to go through.
When I gave birth to my daughter, I didn't bond with her right away. It seems so weird to say that but it is true.
Many prayers to you and I can't wait to see the pictures of you all at home!
Thank you so much for sharing your journey with all of us.
She will thrive once she is out of the controlled orphanage setting.
Her hair will take awhile, but by next year she should have a full head of hair! Perfect for little bows and headbands!
I am loving reading about your journey. Praise the Lord for technology! I would recommend that you trim the longer hair a little...maybe give her a pixie cut and just keep massaging her scalp on the thin side. It will grow. Don't cut it all off...she will look too pitiful. Have fun with the little she has. All the little girls will want her style!
Post a Comment