CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 28, 2008

Our favorite traveling companions


Our adoptive parents' russian guide


Our Kiev facilitator, Yulia-she deals directly with the SDA submitting paperwork and advocating for us and....
Sergey, our driver. He doesn't speak much english but enough to make a couple of blonde jokes and a jab at women drivers. John teased him about becoming a Formula One racer as he raced us through rush hour traffic to make our train on schedule. THAT was a wild ride!


The laptop...has given us the ability to communicate, blog, skype our kids, watch DVDs (thank you again Karen what a blessing!), and even *work* (yuck). Leave it to these two guys to find internet on a train ride across Ukraine.


And last but not least, our most VALUABLE traveling companion, our regional facilitator and translator, Viktor. He met us at the train station in Kiev and rode the train with us. He will stay with us in Artemovsk until our court date. He does all our paperwork, communicates with the orphanage staff, keeps in contact with Yulia regarding the SDA, translates our menus and our appointments, grocery store transactions, and we love him!! Ukraine really does have some neat and funny people! (Marlita does he remind you of anybody?)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marlita here.. he reminds me of Michael. Am I right? Anyway, it was good talking to you today. I take for granted having you so close, I miss talking to you everyday.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that everything is going great.

Anonymous said...

Hi Charissa. Wow. I just got done reading your blog. You've had so much to process, my goodness. What a ride. So is everything moving forward now with Ava? No more problems with the birth father? What day are you going to be coming back to the states? I hope you've gotten my e-mails. Well take care my friend and we're praying for all of you!!!

Love,

Marcie

The Urbans said...

Marlita, I'll give you two more chances.

Anonymous said...

This afternoon a new customer came in the water store. She noticed the Reece's Rainbow cards and asked me questions. She was very interested in the process of adopting ds kids. After I told her about you guys she shared with a huge smile on her face...that she has 4 children...the 4th one has ds and they are the most loving wonderful children in the whole world! She took the RR card with her and said she would check into it!!!! I love how God brings people in our lives!!! We are also loving all the pictures and info...its so hard to get any work done LOL! hugs, janell

Stephanie said...

Charissa, I just want to tell you that I think you have the best husband in the entire world. What a great guy!

Anonymous said...

OK-Jorge Otamendi, when he was in Mexico. And my 3rd guess would be Shane from Siloam. Marlita

Rachel said...

I just prayed for Ava and for your family. Little Ava is absolutely precious. Such beautiful big blue eyes. Hope everything goes well and that you can take her home soon!

Valerie said...

SO glad that the Russian for Adoptive Parents is coming in handy! I cannot even begin to tell you how grateful I was to have that with me during our adoption journey (especially with Evan). You may have noticed that not everything on there is correct (like "Hello" is usually "Zdrastvoytye" or "Zdrastye" rather than "Zdrastvoy" as listed on the guide (in all my travels I never heard anyone say "Zdrastvoy"), but once you have been around the language long enough, you usually figure it out!!

So glad to hear that things are going so well. I have really enjoyed keeping up with your blogs! As always, you are in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

Wow -
I just got your blog address from Marlita but she has been giving me updates. But reading and seeing pictures of Ava has really made much more of an impact. We are praying for you. I can't wait to see her.
Brayden was looking at her pictures with me and said that she was very cute.
Sunny

Tim Rovenstine said...

Got your email that the court date is Friday, a lady judge. Yeah, do get that new tie, you really need to make a good impression, on what they think you are! And here on the home front, it is warming up today, so we don't need to do so much of keeping the home fires buring.
But, with your emails, we tag along, keeping emotions abreast, and processing the idea, of seeing someone strange leaning on the breast of parents that are dear. We are working to employ a disposition on their part to open up their hearts and receive the little one, Ava.