Someone asked me if I was nervous about traveling so soon, and how I'm handling the anticipation of the fact that our lives may change drastically. If I was to be honest, Yes. I am nervous. I am nervous about how much I will miss my kids, I'm nervous about how will I stay warm in below zero temperatures, about how will we communicate? What if I inadvertantly say a russian curse word, or do something that is completely culturely inappropriate?
And of course...just how drastically will our content little lives change one month from now?
At the very beginning of our adoption journey, after God confirmed in our hearts what we were to do, we were on top of the world, and excited to share our news with everyone, the first two responses we got were: "Oh, my goodness, do you realize what kind of a commitment you are making?" And, "Are you sure you heard from God?"
We have been so thankful for the support we HAVE had from so many friends and family members who truly are DELIGHTED with us in our step of faith to care for one of His little sheep. It means so much to know others are behind us. Yes, we know it is a big commitment, but nothing compared to His commitment to us. Yes, there will be some sacrifices, but how much did HE sacrifice for ME? And yes, we heard from God. It is evident throughout the Scripture that He requires us to lay down our lives for our brothers, lay up treasures in heaven and not on earth, rejoice in our sufferings, give thanks in all things, be obedient to His calling, and care for the helpless and suffering. No offense to the person who asked the question, but I imagine all the prayers going up every night from the orphans crying out to God for a family to love them. And here we are... one family, eager to share the abundant love God has given us, eager to share our lives and our home, willing to be the answer to just ONE of those little prayers. WHY would God say 'no' to that?
The Lord gave this scripture to us at the beginning of our adoption journey, and this is what we have held fast to: I Pet 3:13-15 "Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened. But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give and answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander."
So in answer to my friend's question. Yes, we are a little nervous. I wish I could take a survey of parents who are one week away from adopting their child. I would imagine we all have our share of the jitters. But we believe with all of our hearts that God is with us, He hears our prayers, He will supply our needs, He is pleased with our obedience, and He will get us through hard times that may come. We also believe that having a little girl with Down Syndrome will be more of a joy than a burden, and that our love won't be divided, it will be multiplied. We are ALL very, very excited!
Saturday, January 12, 2008
One week and counting down
Posted by liesel at 7:12 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Amen to ALL of that, from a family who is leaving one day after you are, to travel to the same little city to adopt...and yes, who has the jitters, but KNOWS that God is with us every step! Can't wait to see you there, Charissa!!!!!!!!!
Thanks again for sharing the deepness of your heart and emotions with us. We can only imagine your situation although our adoption held different aspects, and appreciate you letting us in on your honesty and relationship with the Lord. We are proud of your family! Love, Oma
Thank you for that Charissa... It really rings true. We talked to Peter's family last weekend about us thinking of adopting a child with DS and (although they did say "as grandparents, we'll be happy with any grandchild you give us") they seemed quite taken aback and kept asking if we were sure we wanted to make that sort of commitment to "that person" when we're older. I wish and hope we soon know for sure we'll be taking that road, and we can announce it to everyone, but I expect there will be a lot of explaining to do...
Anna
I am amazed by your words! I am friend with Meredith and am so excited that you guys are goin to be over there at the same time! Hopefully you will be able to see each other. God Bless you, as He has, on this trip. Can wait to see pictures of the homecoming!
How true your words are for all adoptive parents. Like you, we've had our share of hurtful comments and still continue to get them, but gracious my, they have no idea what a blessing "those" children are to us and how we get more from them then we give! Praying you safely to your precious one and for abundant favor and blessings on your time together and time apart from your loved ones. Thank you for listening to His voice...the voice of TRUTH!
Lisa
Post a Comment