I know many of you are waiting on an update from our first day with Ava. So much happened yesterday that it is hard to know where to start and how much to say.
We got to Artemovsk by train Thursday morning around 8, then took a taxi to the hotel where we're staying. We had both literally been awake all night with no food since lunch the day before. We showered, then went straight to the inspector's office where we got permission to visit the orphanage. In our excitement, we skipped breakfast too.
At the orphanage we first met with Inna, the orphanage director, who reviewed Alina's file and told us every bit of medical history she had, which really wasn't too much. She was diagnosed with some heart condition at birth, spent two months in the hospital before she was transferred to the orphanage here. Our translator does a great job, but he didn't know how to interpret the name of the heart defect. He said it is the medical code Q21? If that means anything to anybody, can you please comment? I got the impression by the picture Inna drew of it that it was a PDA, which I'm sure has closed by now. They referred to it as a "heart window".
Then right before we went to see the child, they sprung this information on us: Alina received a visit from her birth father just in the past couple of weeks. He realized she would soon be moved to Torez, the institution where handicapped children are sent, where most die within a year. She has never received any other visits from her mother. The director told us that her father had recently remarried, and he and his wife would like to bring her back home to live with them. When Inna (the orphanage director) told him that an American couple was coming to potentially adopt her, and he said that if we chose not to adopt her, he would like to take her back home. He would leave the decision to us.
This news really threw us for a loop right before we were to go meet the daughter that we have hoped and prayed would be ours for the past seven months. I always have felt it is best for children to stay with birth parents provided they are loved. Inna said he is a "very nice" man, and "not an alcoholic". Just the fact that in this culture where almost NOBODY keeps their handicapped children, I had to have a lot of respect for a man who would go against every cultural bias to bring her home. He must be a good person.
Then again, what kind of life would she have here? There is no school for her, very little medical care, no therapy. Could she even have a life with him?
On the other hand, maybe she would have birth siblings, and a new mom, and how wonderful it would be for her to reunite with them.
But what if he changed his mind in a year, and brought her back to the orphanage, where she would most definitely be sent to Torez, and most definitely be dead soon after.
All these questions, thoughts and feelings going through my mind, as we walked up the stairs and down the hall to the room where we were to meet our little girl....Or was she anymore?
With no food or sleep in over 24 hours, the adrenaline high, the information we had JUST received about her birth father, and the shock of seeing her deteriorated little body, chicken pox scabs, and a really bad skin rash......Let's just say, it was a very difficult time. We spent about an hour with her with two people looking over our shoulder watching every move we made.
She loves to be kissed, and has the cutest giggle when you poke her ribs. I LOVE her hands!! I got the sweetest video of her stroking John's hands with her long fingers. I had difficulty getting her to make eye contact with me, but Inna told me that she has some vision impairment. Maybe she'll need glasses. I did notice she was more responsive when I was right up in her face. She is ticklish. I was shocked at how low her muscle tone was. She definitely has more upper body strength than lower body strength. Her little legs just dangled and I couldn't get her to bear any weight on them at all. I know there are many of you reading this blog who have children with Down Syndrome, and I hope you can give me some encouragement about how we can make a difference in these areas. She plays with her tongue. :) That's probably the only toy she has.
I felt like I was picking up a little mangy puppy. Poor little thing. I can see that four years in an crib in an orphanage has really taken a toll on her little body. Her hair was matted, and she is almost bald with a few patches here and there. She has a lot more on top, which makes me think just getting her out of bed would help her hair grow out. Maybe it's a nutritional thing too. She has the remnants of chicken pox, so she is covered in scabs, which are each dabbed with some blue ink. I remember reading that they use this in Eastern Europe for skin conditions. She had a rash all over her face and arms, which looked like it could be eczema or allergies. It is obvious that she is going to need a lot of help. I am thankful for the resources we have available at home, but still have so many questions like, will she ever walk? Will she ever being able to look in my eyes and say, "I love you mama." We went to lunch afterwards, and I wanted to do was cry. I couldn't eat. Came home and slept for awhile. Dinner came. I still couldn't eat.
Please pray for us. I have cried many times. We felt like she would be ours. So what happened yesterday??!!! We have such a huge decision to make, and we need wisdom and strength from the Lord to help us get through this. I know He didn't bring us out her for nothing. The fact that we are missing our children terribly is not helping at all.
John has been such a tower of strength. I am so thankful for him. He gave me tremendous peace last night when he told me that if a decision needs to be made, he will make it. That took a tremendous amount of pressure. We even talked about trying to meet with the birth father, but I don't think they would let us do that.
We are going to go back up for our second visit today. Hopefully we can get another update to you tonight. We are feeling very lonely, and a bit isolated. It is almost time for breakfast, and guess what? I'm not hungry. Maybe I won't gain 10 pounds in Ukraine after all.
I will be glad when Kelly gets here tomorrow
33 comments:
Oh sweetie, you and your family have taken a HUGE leap of faith, with no experience with DS at all. I know you are terrified, but I so hope you give her the chance to blossom in front of your eyes, and as a direct result of your love and nurturing of this precious little gift who has a clean slate to start with in your family! But you must do what is right for your family...please keep us all posted, and don't hesitate to call.---Andrea Roberts, Reece's Rainbow
Hi there. My child with DS is 9, and I have seen so many kids over the years, healthy ones, sick ones...the one thing that has most made me admire these children is their tenacity. Kids who literally lie around their entire early lives due to heart conditions get them fixed, and pink up and explode in days following surgeries. Your girl has been through a war, really. I guess I think of these kids as very much like Holocaust survivors, they have been underfed, neglected, emotionally starved...but they are survivors under all of that, they are TOUGH. I know that the low tone is scary, I have seen it before. But kids with DS HAVE low tone generally, they need work and strengthening to build those little muscles up. Therapies and LOVE will help her grow strong. Good food and attention, regular bathing and LOVE will help her regain the beautiful skin she was born with. Time and attention will focus her eyes. You have such an enormous prospect to change her entire life for the better here. It is wonderful that her Daddy came back, but where was he when all of this was happening to her? What can he offer to help her little body grow?
You guys have taken this huge leap of faith, and it has cenetered around this devastatingly beautiful little girl. She is still that little girl. Think about if you have been at camp for a few months, your hair is unattended, no makeup, been out of good food and subsisting on junk? Someone takes a picture of you and shows your dh...would he see YOU there? Who are you, the girl he knows and loves or this mangy looking underfed dirty person he sees with his eyes? Keep seeing her with your heart, Charrissa. she is there, waiting. I cant WAIT to see her grow and thrive and learn, and she will. Love is like that.
Charissa & Johnny,
Danny here. I'm deeply moved to write you. Please, in the name of Christ Jesus, remember that you're in a battle for life, and it's not against flesh and blood, but against forces of darkness that will do everything and anything to disrupt the love of God and life of God through you.
This latest news doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Just think for a second how the enemy is using this to mess with your hearts and minds. No matter what decision you make, you're left tormented with the question of whether or not it was the right thing for Ava. Our God is not a tormenting God - one who brings fear to those rescuing another with Godly love.
Please remember that Ava's real father if The Father and He has moved your hearts with abounding love for this child. It's the kind of love that goes beyond merely wanting to rescue her from an institution - like her bio father. It's the kind of love that wants to rescue and then redeem and restore all that God has for Ava. Your love is not just a defensive move, but over and above. It's the kind of love that comes from a God "who had no where to lay His head" in this world. I believe in my heart that God has provided a place for Ava to lay her head - in your house and on your shoulders of love as you bring her into a relationship with her real Father and real siblings - God Almighty and the saints of God.
There is no down side to Ava being reared by you and Johnny. None what soever! The enemy does not come in a red jump suit with a pitch fork, horns, and a goatee. But, instead, as an angel of light with fear and deception.
Ava's bio father has acquiesced the decision to you guys. Now be free in the name of Jesus to make it without fear or torment. Follow your hearts - the desire that God has written there. You guys love Ava and will always continue to.
I'm not telling you all what to do. I'm reminding you of what God has moved you to do - bless Ava! Hell is set against you guys as you do the work of God which is LOVE. Expect opposition even more so.
Sincerely,
Danny
I am with Andrea and Michelle. You have to go with what you believe is right for your family. I will tell you that Ethan(6 w/DS) started off floppy as can be. He didn't hold his head up for a long time-he just didn't have the muscle strength, but he is just a little fantastic beautiful and rambuncious (sp?) kid who now runs, climbs on and jumps off the furniture, and does things I didn't ever think he would do because I just didn't know what to expect. So, kiddos with DS do walk and they do climb and they do talk (albeit we are still working hard on the talking-but he tries :0) They just do it at a much different pace than other children. :-) I wouldn't let the birth dad's desire to take her back into his family scare you off. If he really wanted her, she would be with him already. KWIM? He may be praying hard that you guys take her and relieve him of his guilt. I am not saying he isn't a good guy, I just think that he left her there in hopes that she would have a better life with you. You guys are awesome for having gotten as far as you have and you make the decision that is right for you guys. God bless you both and I'll keep praying for you.
Martha S.
Oh Charissa...I can relate to how you are feeling right now. I know how it feels to have to make a gut wrenching decision while feeling alone and isolated and missing your kiddos, all the while not being able to eat or sleep. I will be praying for you and John today that you will be able to listen yo your hearts and feel led to make the decision that is best for you and your children, and for little Ava. You and John have followed your hearts, and been led by your conviction in Christ from the beginning of this journey. Lots of love, prayers, and (((hugs))).
Christina
RR Group
We adopted 6 years ago and have extensive contact with our daughter's bio family. We even took her bio brother on holiday with us. But I never even think for 1 second that she would be better off with her mom. Have seen many, many bio family stories over the years. The fact that someone was coming to adopt the child may have triggered curiousity (some families have even been extorted for money). If he is sincere and loves his daugther he will want her to go home with you. I have seen families beg to find their special needs kids families to adopt them. Adopt your daughter, update her bio dad and never ever doubt the decision.
Charissa and John,
Our family is praying for you. We are confident that God will lead you to the right decision. We will be checking for updates and holding you up in prayer.
Sincerely,
Lisa (from RR) and family
Charissa - I wish I had the elequence that Danny does...to put into words exactly what he said. We are all praying for you in our RR group, and please know that we are here for you and your family. You have our total support. I understand how you must have felt seeing Alina for the first time...overwhelmed, scared, but at the same time, full of love for her. That is the feeling I would follow...the tremendous feelings of love for her. Her hair will grow, her legs will strengthen, her eyes will see, her heart will heal...all of the physical things you are seeing, are easily cared for in the US. Satan is at work trying to show you things to scare you...don't give in to him. Look ahead to what can be.
One of my favorite verses from Matthew 18:5: And any of you who welcomes a little child like this because you are mine, is welcoming me and caring for me. It was the verse of the day today on my calendar...Keep moving forward, and doing what you feel is right.
With support and love,
Michelle
Charissa,
Ava is beautiful, and I know you are worried about her health and the fact that she will not look at you. Karina did not want to look at us either, we were total strangers to her. Give Ava time to get to know you, when she knows you she will open up more and more.
Our Meghan was a very floppy baby, I often wonder what state she would be in had she not had therapy, therapy made a world of difference in her muscular strength. Remember you can get a doctor to come there and see Ava too. I know we have Dr Yuri's phone number if you need it.
Our family is behind you in any decision you make. Please please eat something, not eating can affect your thought process too, and try to get a good nights sleep, you neeed to nourish yourself right now too, to be as strong as you can be.
Our hearts go out to you, and our prayers for all of you.
Dear Charissa and John,
My heart is just aching for you and all you have been through.
As you make this decision, look back to when God first started speaking to you about adoption. Think about how God confirmed in your hearts that you were on the right path.
Remember the first time that you saw a pictures of Ava, what did you think? Was she even more engraved on your heart?
Look back at this journey and remember when the Lord spoke to your heart....that's where your clarity will come from. I know it's so hard to not consider all the angles but there is no peace in that because there is no
answer! You started off following what God placed in your heart, go and ahead and finish it.
Dearest Charissa and John,
As soon as I read your blog my first thought was that which Danny described very eloquently....the enemy is out to destroy anything that God's children set out to do for God's glory. He is roaring about like a lion, trying to destroy your faith and your intentions, using very "distorted natural" methods to do it. You've known all along that this is from God. He wants you to fill up this little girl's life with love and teach her about Jesus. Can the birth father do that? Keep your perspective, don't look to the right or left, but keep focused on God and HIS will for you and Ava. Keep asking yourself "what would Jesus do"? The answer is there. I love you both and my prayer is that God will shine through all of this with His radiant love. You'll see it! I promise.
Love, Aunt Sharon
Charissa & Johnny,
I'm a lurker and very infrequent poster on RR, but I have been following along with you on your adoption journey and would like to encourage you today. The words to this song keep coming to my mind....
"He didn't bring us this far to leave us. He didn't teach us to swim to let us drown. He didn't build His home in us to move away. He didn't lift us up to let us drown."
Trust the Lord...lean on His understanding...The Lord has a good and perfect plan for Alina/Ava's life, and I'm confident that He will guide and direct you as you make your decision, and your hearts will be filled with peace.
Dh and I have adopted two baby boys with DS, one who is now 5, and our newest little guy is 9 months old. Our 5 yr old was born and raised in the US, but he was so "floppy" he didn't walk until the month before he turned 3, and he still doesn't say more than a few words. But he's so busy we can't get him to sit still for a single minute. Ü Our 9 month old still can't sit up unassisted, but I'm not worried, because floppiness just comes with the territory. With weekly therapies and lots of love & one-on-one attention, Ava *will* learn to walk, run, and play...she will blossom & grow into a beautiful young lady who will bring so much love & joy into your lives, you won't be able to imagine life without her.
Many {{{hugs}}} & prayers,
Patrice
Hey, guys.
Wow. Just... wow. This all feels so familiar. Michelle and I know exactly what you're going through--to come so close to finalizing the adoption only to have something come out of nowhere to throw a wrench in things.
I'm not going to pretend I have the answer for you; that's up to God to deliver to your hearts. But I can tell you this: we know how you feel, and we believe you will come out the other side of this situation stronger and more determined to love God. He gave you this mission because he knows you have a strong faith that will not be broken in times such as this.
Know that you are not alone. There is not a place in this universe that is hidden from God's eyes. He sees you. And he loves you. He loves you, he loves you, he loves you. He is good. He is faithful.
You are in our prayers, and we are confident that you can and will hear the voice of your Father, even in the midst of confusion.
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. (Romans 15:13)
Dear Charissa,
I too am an RR lurker who doesn't post often but has been following the latest adoption journies and praying for all involved. You and your husband have taken such a huge leap of faith here and I can read your fear and concern. All so normal! Remember, you are in the middle of a very different foreign country with no other Americans to talk to yet, everything is translated and open to some interpretation, you are not eating or sleeping normally, please know that all of that is going to make you feel very stressed out and alone. Then thrown in the unexpected with Ava's bio dad being involved and her health concerns being more involved than you thought, and you have some major stress going on that anyone would be feeling. You have a very devoted group of prayers warriors praying that you and John can know God's will in all of this and be at peace with whatever decision you make.
Remember also, that just taking Ava out of the orphanage, giving her access to good nutrition, regular baths, healing from her chicken pox, and regular play time and stimulation will change her dramatically. Throw in a new pair of glasses and help for her heart condition and she will soar.
There are so many unknowns in this that you are right to take pause and analyze your next course of action. I think the suggestion to have a dr. come to the orphanage is a really good one. Perhaps he can offer a better translation of her heart condition.
As for the bio dad, I agree with the person who said he likely left the decision up to you because he does love Ava but knows a better life is with you. He could have just taken her then and there, but it seems like, while he doesn't want her to die in Torez, he also wants to give her the best chance at a full life, which he knows he can't really provide. That is a touching example of love that you can tell Ava later. Maybe sending him updates on her progress is a possibility too.
Please know that, even as a stranger whose never met you and your family, I am praying hard for you and John. You will find your answer and know God's will. Your leap of faith has already been a shining light to me and many others.
Kelly (RR Yahoo Group lurker)
I am attempting to obtain a clarification on the pediatric medical code Q21. I'm waiting on a call from my cardioligist. I will post another comment as soon as I have talked with his department. Love you guys. The Lord will see you through all of this.
John C. Urban
(John's dad)
Man..that was quite a curve ball about the bio father. I agree with the others that say, she would have a better life here, with you. She can get therapy to strengthen the low tone and help her learn to communicate or speak. I am praying for you guys.
not a doctor, but Q21.-: Congenital malformations of cardiac septa , sounds like a VSD (hole) as they are describing, but possibly bigger than the small VSDs that close on their own. Hope someone else has more answers. It also may be worth contacting a International Adoption Medical Dr. here in the states and e-mailing any info you have to them.
We are praying for you - all my friends are so interested in your journey. Just know whatever you do we are very supportive. The whole city of Clovis is behind you. You just do what you feel God wants you to do. John Sr. has a call in to his heart Dr. in Lubbock about the code. We will get right back to you with that info. Just try to eat something and get some sleep and you will be able to think better - Advice from MOM...Love, John & Mary Nell Urban
Hi .. I'm Bethany, sort of a lurker on RR and mommy to Payton (age 2 - DS). I'm so sorry that you are experiencing all of these emotions. Having the father in the picture does make it hard, but knowing that he is stepping back to you makes me think that he knows deep in his heart that Ava coming to the US is the best thing for her. He obviously is a very honorable man.
Low muscle tone, as I'm sure you are aware, is a very common thing in our kids. I can only imagine that Ava's is lower, given the circumstances. Many kids have limp legs, but they all walk in their own time. There is also a lot of talk recently about treadmill therapy and I can't imagine that Ava wouldn't benefit from something like that. You would just hold her until she leg her legs touch down and get moving. Just wanted to throw that out there. Therapy obviously will take her places she may never go in Ukraine.
I'm sure the skin rashes and chicken pox are exactly what you thought you would see. Those will heal and go away and her little body will plump up when she gets the nourishment she needs.
You have what she needs here in the US. Maybe when Kelly gets there she can work some magic in letting them get you in contact with the birth father. Or at least if you leave your contact info with them, maybe he will contact you. It's worth a try, at least. :)
Hugs to you ... I hope you find peace in your journey and please keep us posted. ;)
Oh, I also wanted to say I googled Q21 and didn't come up with anything. I wonder if that is some sort of reference to her T21 ... could that just be what they call it? I saw someone posted that it could mean she has a VSD ... my daughter had a VSD at birth, which closed on its own and did not require surgery. Some, however, do require surgery. Not fun, but definitely something you can get through. :)
Holding you all up in prayer, that you will be given the peace that surpasses all understanding as you try to discern what is best for your family.
This resurfacing of the birth father could be a wonderful opportunity for you. Being able to give our children the gift of knowledge about their first families is a rare thing in international adoption. Ongoing contact in the form of letters and pictures could be a wonderful gift to her birth father and the planting of seeds in ordinary people in Ukraine about making a different kind of life for people with DS.
Prayers and huggs,
Natalie (RR lurker)
Lifting you all up in prayer, that the peace which surpasses all understanding is given to you in this difficult time. Whatever path you choose, you have our support and prayers.
This information about the birth father may represent a wonderful opportunity. Knowledge of their first families is a rare gift to be able to give our children in international adoption. Ongoing contact in the form of letters and pictures could be life changing for this birth family, and could help to plant the seeds in ordinary people in Ukraine for a very different life for people with DS.
Prayers and hugs,
Natalie (RR)
Holding you all up in prayer, that you will be given the peace that surpasses all understanding as you try to discern what is best for your family.
This resurfacing of the birth father could be a wonderful opportunity for you. Being able to give our children the gift of knowledge about their first families is a rare thing in international adoption. Ongoing contact in the form of letters and pictures could be a wonderful gift to her birth father and the planting of seeds in ordinary people in Ukraine about making a different kind of life for people with DS.
Prayers and huggs,
Natalie (RR lurker)
I wish I could give you a big hug and cry with you(: May the Lord guide your steps, and may He give you the strength to finish that which you started out to do. "There are three things that will endure - faith, hope, and love - and the greatest of these is love" 1 Cor 13:13. God bless you. Love, Tina
wow, what a decision...we are praying for the peace of God to rule your hearts as you seek his will in this! May he encourage you and keep you in his strong presence!
Alex and Meredith Himaya
I think she's been suffering without little Naum (Xander) there to stroke her head and hands and give her kisses. I'd be matted and depressed too. XOXOXOXO Dolores.
How ironic is it Charissa that you posted the poem Legacy of an Adopted Child on your site. God foreknew the challenges you would face before you ever got to the Ukraine and has prepared your heart. All things work for the good of those that love God! Praying strength, endurance and peace be yours multiplied. love, Janell
Grandpa (Wendell) sent our family a link to your blog just recently so I haven't been reading for too long, but I read this one. I feel like I am carrying the burden of this situation with you as I sit here with tears welling up in my eyes. I will be praying fervently for you both and your family here in the next few days. Be encouraged by how many people love and support you.
Aubrie
Hi Charissa & John - you are in my thoughts and prayers - all I can say is wow.....Danny's post rang true with me. I know that God is on your side and is going to see you through....whatever your descision may be. Love, Jill
Charissa, John,
Hugs to you! We are praying along side you that God would give peace and clarity in this situation you have before you. Please try and get some food and rest. All our love ~ Chad & Dana Horton
Charissa,
Ava is delicate and tiny and yet she is still smiling and God has given her strength to hold on so her mommy and daddy could come and get her. Yes, she will look at you and tell you she loves you someday. I was afraid Jimmy never would either, but he does and so will Ava. She has endured a lot and still every picture you have shown us, she is delighted to be in your arms. May you find peace in your decision, but I think that because her bio dad has left the decision up to you,is because he knows in his heart that she would have a very good life with you and he knows that she will be provided for in ways he can't. It is a testament of his love and also his faith in you and John. God Bless!
Amy
You have probably heard that when someone gives birth to a child with a disability, they go through a grieving period for the child they didn't get. But then they come to realize that they have a beautiful child even though that child is different from the one they thought they were going to get.
Every child has something to offer, can make a difference in our lives. Maybe she will never walk, but their are many other things she will bring into your lives, and you can bring hope into hers. I don't think that her bio father is the best for her, he will not be able to offer her what you can.
Remember with good nutrition, medical treatment and loving care, she is going to bloom for you. My daughter Mercede had very poor tone and a heart condition. She didn't sit up til she was two years old and could walk until she was 4. So your daughter could be like my daughter, just one of the ones that has such poor tone and need help and therapy to help them along. There is such hope that she will walk. There is hope that she will do so much. There is a reason you are there.
May God bless you with the strenght to make the decisions that are best for all of you. Then may God continue to bless you with a fulfilling enriched life.
Charissa-
Monica just sent me this link. I will be praying for you guys. I am sitting at my computer crying, I can't even imagine what you guys must be dealing with...
I'm sorry I haven't kept in touch, but I am glad to read a little about what is going on. We need to come to Tulsa to visit!
Love you, Krissi (and Antoine, Karianna, Victoria, and Olivia).
Post a Comment